Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,105,568 times

Advertisements

More of a vent, really .......

I rarely iron clothes, but when I do, I need to put water in the iron so I can use the "steam" feature to really get the wrinkles out.

I always drain the unused water out of the iron before I put it away. It seems that no matter what I do, or what brand I buy, or hiw much I spend, the iron(s) always sputters and spits out water onto my clothes - even when not using the "burst of steam" feature.

So today, we bought some new white dress shirts for my husband, and I went to iron the first one, and it sputtered and spit, and the water came out like a rust color. Ruined the shirt we had just purchased!

Does this happen to anybody else? Am I doing something wrong? Am I a total ironing geek? Is there an iron out there that won't do this? My current iron is a Shark and I paid about $60 for it.

Thanks for any suggestions, and thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,913,057 times
Twinkle Toes, do you use distilled water in your iron? I find that helps me.

My current iron is a Black and Decker Digital Advantage. I love it - after perusing the ratings of Amazon, I found this iron with a high rating. I bought it and I'm not sorry one bit. It hisses with steam, but doesn't "spit up." No rust spots, black marks, etc.

Here's the exact model:

Amazon.com: Black & Decker D2030 Auto-Off Digital Advantage Iron:…

I am very happy with this iron.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks, Cricket. I just checked out the link. I may go out and get this iron tomorrow, if I can find it in my area.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,529,519 times
Hmmmm....I've had that same problem. Oddly enough, I had it more with our previous iron (a Black & Decker) than with our current Shark.....I have used both tap and distilled water and don't notice a difference...(in fact, I could be mistaked - been awhile LOL - but I think our Shark directions specifically said not to use distilled water?)

Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,913,057 times
From the manual:

"Use ordinary tap water. Do not use water processed through a home water softening system. In extremely hard water areas, use tap water the first time you use the iron, but consider using distilled or demineralized water for subsequent ironing. About once a month switch back to tap water to maintain steam performance."

http://www.useandcaremanuals.com/pdf...0,D2035526.pdf

Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,529,519 times
Thanks - I knew I had read something about it but I don't do tons of ironing and couldn't remember....maybe it's time to buy some distilled water again....

Old 08-09-2010, 12:49 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,314,509 times
Use brita filtered water. And the white shirt is not ruined. You can get rust out of shirts with CLR dilute. Do it under bright light and do not brush the fabric hard. Use a baby tooth brush and then flush it with water. If the shirt has synthetic in it, try lemon and salt. CLR melts some plastic. Sometimes a simple rewash can be the only thing you need.

You have to let the iron heat up all the way and clean it out with white vinegar just like you do a coffee pot. But get a couple junky towels and put it on full steam and a bunch of junk will probably come out of the holes.

I have had GE, Black & Decker and shark. They spit when they are new, heating up or needing cleaned out. I leave the cap open after draining the water to let it dry out. If I am getting sputters I just turn up the heat a little bit.

Did you do the thing where you iron a junky towel when you first got your iron? Are you ironing too fast and sloshing the iron around? Press down hard and slide slowly.

Or you can just leave it dry iron and have a fine mist spray bottle on the side. I did that in a very hard water area because I was sick of cleaning out the iron all the time.

There is always getting a garmet steamer too instead of an iron.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Use brita filtered water. And the white shirt is not ruined. You can get rust out of shirts with CLR dilute. Do it under bright light and do not brush the fabric hard. Use a baby tooth brush and then flush it with water. If the shirt has synthetic in it, try lemon and salt. CLR melts some plastic. Sometimes a simple rewash can be the only thing you need.

You have to let the iron heat up all the way and clean it out with white vinegar just like you do a coffee pot. But get a couple junky towels and put it on full steam and a bunch of junk will probably come out of the holes.

I have had GE, Black & Decker and shark. They spit when they are new, heating up or needing cleaned out. I leave the cap open after draining the water to let it dry out. If I am getting sputters I just turn up the heat a little bit.

Did you do the thing where you iron a junky towel when you first got your iron? Are you ironing too fast and sloshing the iron around? Press down hard and slide slowly.

Or you can just leave it dry iron and have a fine mist spray bottle on the side. I did that in a very hard water area because I was sick of cleaning out the iron all the time.

There is always getting a garmet steamer too instead of an iron.
Thanks, Pitt.

Actually, I am pretty careful - not sloshing the water or ironing too fast. I did let the iron spit and sputter onto an old towel first (not white - maybe I need a white towel), and didn't see anything but water. Then I ironed that top part of the back of the shirt first (the back/shoulder part) and that's when the rust came out. He is still going to wear the shirt, because he wears a suit (he's a lawyetr) so it will be hidden.

What I ended up doing was using a wet washcloth to dampen the wrinkled areas on this and the rest of the shirts and dry ironing. This worked, but was a PITA. I thought about getting a spray bottle, but was already home for the evening and didn't want to go back out again.

I do have a garment steamer, but find that it takes FOREVER to ge wrinkles out of things. I primarily use it on my suits between dry cleaning jaunts.

The iron was heated all the way, but not on MAX. I put it on Cotton/Linen setting so as not to burm the shirt. This iron gets pretty hot.

I am going to try the lemon and salt to see if I can get the spots off the shirt. Thank you for the tip!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,314,509 times
You are welcome. I have done another lazy tip and just hang a shirt in the bath while showering, steam and then press the collar and cuffs with a flat iron. (run the flat iron over a damp towel first to remove any hair color/product that may of rubbed off.) If you have one of those around it makes that go so fast and quite frankly the easiest way to get a nice sharp collar. ☺

Last edited by pitt_transplant; 08-09-2010 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Your welcome. I have done another lazy tip and just hang a shirt in the bath while showering, steam and then press the collar and cuffs with a flat iron. (run the flat iron over a damp towel first to remove any hair color/product that may of rubbed off.) If you have one of those around it makes that go so fast and quite frankly the easiest way to get a nice sharp collar. ☺
Ah! I know this one, but not for shirts. Also, didn't know abut the flat iron - what a great idea! This is what we ballroom dancers do at competition. When we get our gowns out of the suitcases - we hang them in the hotel bathroom with the door closed and the shower on so that the wrinkles come out of our gowns. Can't iron a gown encrusted with Swarovski crystals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty