Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM

90 posts, read 219,801 times

Advertisements

I've been interested in Fargo lately and was wondering could anybody tell me what its like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 24,217 times
What makes you wonder about Fargo? Did you see the movie recently or something? Fargo is very much centered around the farming community. I went to college there and lived in Fargo for almost 9 years. It is NOT like the movie "Fargo" at all. Although you do occasionally run into old time farmers that are very much like the people in that movie. It is very much a slow town. There are tons and tons of resteraunts. There is the West Acres Mall and of course Walmart & Target. There is a lot of different shops and a few strip malls, etc. Fargo is home to North Dakota State University while Moorhead, MN (right across the river) is home to Minnesota State University Moorhead and Concordia College. There are also numerous tech schools throughout the community. It is very much a college town. In the summer it almost seems like 1/3 - 1/2 of the population is gone. People are very friendly for the most part. It is very windy there. The winters can be brutal! The last couple of winters they have gotten tons of snow. Be prepared for cold. You don't know what cold is until you're in Fargo on a cold and windy winter day. It has flooded for the past couple of years. It always seems to flood a little but nothing to worry about until these last two years. They have been very bad. Any other questions?

Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Friendly people but not much to do. Countryside is flat and lots of tumbleweed. I visited in September.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Yes I agree. There is nothing to do there. You can go out to eat, go to the bar, or go shopping. Other than that you'll be traveling quite a ways. Of course Minnesota has the lakes, but mosquitoes are horrible in the summer. But there too you are traveling at least an hour for recreation.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 PM

87 posts, read 401,031 times
Is that why Fargo/Moorhead's economy is growing , because of the boredom? That makes for a very interesting movie. Oops

Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved2SD View Post
Yes I agree. There is nothing to do there. You can go out to eat, go to the bar, or go shopping. Other than that you'll be traveling quite a ways. Of course Minnesota has the lakes, but mosquitoes are horrible in the summer. But there too you are traveling at least an hour for recreation.
There's no fishing, hiking, ice fishing, cross country skiing, no hunting, no fairs, no festivals, no fairgrounds, no school plays, no school games, no school choirs, no YMCA, no community events, no parks, no family bar-b-q's, no neighborhood block party's, no roller blading, no biking, no rodeo's, no craft fairs, no nothing???? I'd just burn the place down and move on.

I'm retired and live in a little town of 700 people. There is so much to do here, year around, that I have to take a break sometimes and just relax.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,439 times
There's opera, symphony, ballet, chamber music concerts, live bands at bars and other small venues, outdoor baseball, tons of golf spring-fall (one of the highest ratios of public courses per 100 population in the country). The three universities/colleges bring in a huge variety of speakers and other cultural events.

But at its core--there's employment, low crime, manageable commutes, good schools, access to great medical care, and an overall fairly high quality of life.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
There's no fishing, hiking, ice fishing, cross country skiing, no hunting, no fairs, no festivals, no fairgrounds, no school plays, no school games, no school choirs, no YMCA, no community events, no parks, no family bar-b-q's, no neighborhood block party's, no roller blading, no biking, no rodeo's, no craft fairs, no nothing???? I'd just burn the place down and move on.

I'm retired and live in a little town of 700 people. There is so much to do here, year around, that I have to take a break sometimes and just relax.

The Red River is so gross that I personally would not fish it. So you would have to drive to a lake in MN to do fishing and that includes ice fishing. It is flat so no, there is no hiking. Of course you can walk in a park or something, but other than that the answer is no. I am not aware of cross country skiing. Of course people hunt. Minnesota and North Dakota are full of hunters; I am not one. There is the fair for one week during the summer. I'm sure the colleges put on plays during the school year. There is a YMCA at a couple of locations. There is limited community events. I have not seen anyone roller blade for many years, but you could. Of course people bike around. There are no rodeo's that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are craft fairs. The community doesn't really advertise things well. So normally you hear about events after the fact. Fargo is very much a retirement community. If you are a younger person looking for events and things to do, Fargo is not the place to be. I know plenty of people that drive the 4 hours to the Twin Cities in MN for events.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
There's opera, symphony, ballet, chamber music concerts, live bands at bars and other small venues, outdoor baseball, tons of golf spring-fall (one of the highest ratios of public courses per 100 population in the country). The three universities/colleges bring in a huge variety of speakers and other cultural events.

But at its core--there's employment, low crime, manageable commutes, good schools, access to great medical care, and an overall fairly high quality of life.
I wonder where you are talking about? Are you talking about Fargo, North Dakota??? I have never heard of an opera, symphony, or ballet there! Are you sure you're talking about Fargo, ND??? Of course there are live bands at bars. Fargo is the drinking capital of ND. That's all there is to do there. Yes, there are tons of golf courses. I know the universities have some events, but I would have to disagree with the huge variety. Fargo really needs a community website or something and advertise events more than they do. The media could also advertise events more than they do.

My husband and I could not find employment there (I am an accountant and passed the CPA Exam; my husband is an IT person with a degree and numerous certifications). It does not have high paying jobs unless you are a doctor or a lawyer. It is very hard for a college graduate to find any kind of a good job and with three universities right there the majority of graduates look elsewhere before they look at staying in Fargo. I agree with low crime, manageable commutes, good schools, access to great medical care, and an overall fairly high quality of life. There is employment if you want to work in retail or are ok with a part time job, but if you are looking for something full time with benefits as a college graduate you will not find it here. So as I said before, Fargo is a good retirement community and until they attract more businesses and have some competition there they will stay a retirement community.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM

419 posts, read 1,396,439 times
Fargo-Moorhead Opera
Fargo-Moorhead Symphony
Fargo Moorhead Events (courtesy of the FMCVB)
Concordia College cultural events
MSUM Arts events
Theatre B
Okay, so performing arts are my thing, but here's just a sampling.

Oh yeah--the media could do a much better job of covering local events and opportunities. The Forum has pretty well laid off so much of its staff that it has reduced itself to irrelevancy.

On the jobs front, in my head I was comparing it to the other state I've lived in--Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo