Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:06 PM

20,294 posts, read 37,212,349 times

Advertisements

Good news about the number of caribou in the interior of Alaska:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...a-caribou-herd
Quote:
FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) — A preliminary count shows the largest caribou herd in Interior Alaska has grown to a level not seen since the 1920s.

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reports a July photo census places the Fortymile Caribou Herd at a population of more than 71,000. The herd numbered at about 51,000 in a census in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,934,961 times
FAKE NEWS. I distinctly remember the Libs saying that drilling in Alaska would kill all the wildlife.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
FAKE NEWS. I distinctly remember the Libs saying that drilling in Alaska would kill all the wildlife.
Your half baked attempt at humor has a couple flaws, the primary one being that the caribou herd identified by the OP is not a herd that visits the north slope, where oil drilling occurs.

In fact, that herd has indeed dropped significantly in recent years. Why so, it is not clear at this time. Because, unlike you, biologists studying them cannot afford to make unsubstantiated and politically motivated conclusions.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 AM

4,491 posts, read 3,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Your half baked attempt at humor has a couple flaws, the primary one being that the caribou herd identified by the OP is not a herd that visits the north slope, where oil drilling occurs.

In fact, that herd has indeed dropped significantly in recent years. Why so, it is not clear at this time. Because, unlike you, biologists studying them cannot afford to make unsubstantiated and politically motivated conclusions.
Well, I wasn't really trying to be funny. I do remember reading that, to everyone's surprise, animals in the area of the pipeline were increasing in number. If I recall correctly, it was something about them gathering near the (comparatively) warm pipeline was increasing breeding. However, since you actually appear to live there, I'll concede the point to you.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM

459 posts, read 586,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind cleric View Post
your half baked attempt at humor has a couple flaws, the primary one being that the caribou herd identified by the op is not a herd that visits the north slope, where oil drilling occurs.

ouch .........

Old 01-10-2018, 02:31 PM

While the 40-mile caribou herd roams North and South through the interior of Alaska and Canada and not at The North Slope, caribou does benefit from the pipeline corridor. It's a lot easier for the caribou to travel along the pipeline than it is through the tundra and low growth of the interior, much like what moose do when the snow is deep and they walk on stablished trails. The link I posted above is to indicate how much the herd has grown in recent years.

If you travel on the Steese and Richardson Highways, by Tok and Delta Junction during the caribou migrations, you will notice that they get quite close to the road. You can also see them walking along the pipeline corridors near Delta Junction, Summit Lake, Paxon, and past Glennallen (on the Richardson). But it hasn't been proven that the decline or decrease in numbers of caribou relate to oil development or not. The number goes up, for decades sometimes, and then the numbers come down. Maybe the caribou herds have a "boom and bust" economy?

~just kidding with you.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:18 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,673,194 times
Caribou herd populations change all the time naturally. They can also change from pressures by mankind. Figuring out what's affecting what is the hard part.

Herds that are easily accessible to hunters like the Nelchina, Fortymile, and Kenai herds, are tightly controlled as far as hunting. If not, they'd be decimated from hunting pressure. Further away from the road system, plain old mother nature is the dominant force in population trends. Affects of setting up and oil field are less known. I know I've personally stood on a gas production pad near Kenai that was completely covered in caribou tracks and chit. The fact that there were a dozen production wells and associated buildings on that pad didn't seem to bother them.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,870,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Well, I wasn't really trying to be funny. I do remember reading that, to everyone's surprise, animals in the area of the pipeline were increasing in number. If I recall correctly, it was something about them gathering near the (comparatively) warm pipeline was increasing breeding. However, since you actually appear to live there, I'll concede the point to you.
Yeah, some politician ran his mouth about that a while ago and it's since become fake "general knowledge" a la Marie Antoinette saying "Let them eat cake." It's not actually true, it's some anecdotal silliness (people do casually observe more caribou by the pipeline...because people spend more time by the pipeline) that's not supported by animal population surveys. Caribou cows have a higher rate of miscarriage and there's a higher calf mortality rate near pipeline access roads and facilities. Caribou aren't like moose, which are more adaptable to sharing space with humans. You certainly don't see caribou wandering around town centers like you do moose.

That said, Alaska still has ton of wide open space for caribou to live in, and the state's doing a pretty good job of managing hunting.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, some politician ran his mouth about that a while ago and it's since become fake "general knowledge" a la Marie Antoinette saying "Let them eat cake." It's not actually true, it's some anecdotal silliness (people do casually observe more caribou by the pipeline...because people spend more time by the pipeline) that's not supported by animal population surveys. Caribou cows have a higher rate of miscarriage and there's a higher calf mortality rate near pipeline access roads and facilities. Caribou aren't like moose, which are more adaptable to sharing space with humans. You certainly don't see caribou wandering around town centers like you do moose.

That said, Alaska still has ton of wide open space for caribou to live in, and the state's doing a pretty good job of managing hunting.
Frostnit,

Several years ago during the winter months we had caribou going through Fairbanks and North Pole. They were hanging around the large open fields by Eielson Farms Road, and several areas in Fairbanks. I remember taking my kids there to watch the caribou. I have seen big herds coming down the hills close to Summit Lake using the pipeline corridor, and over by Donnelly Dome as well. And it's very true that caribou will take the easiest path to travel, including trails. But nobody is saying that they only travel on trails. The 40-mile caribou hunters congregate at choke points near the roads, and pipeline corridors, for a reason. The 40-mile herd migration routes cover most of the interior of Alaska, into the Canadian Yukon.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 PM

681 posts, read 1,208,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Frostnit,

Several years ago during the winter months we had caribou going through Fairbanks and North Pole. They were hanging around the large open fields by Eielson Farms Road, and several areas in Fairbanks. I remember taking my kids there to watch the caribou. I have seen big herds coming down the hills close to Summit Lake using the pipeline corridor, and over by Donnelly Dome as well. And it's very true that caribou will take the easiest path to travel, including trails. But nobody is saying that they only travel on trails. The 40-mile caribou hunters congregate at choke points near the roads, and pipeline corridors, for a reason. The 40-mile herd migration routes cover most of the interior of Alaska, into the Canadian Yukon.
Yup...they even were spotted right adjacent to the Johannsen. The access control fence kept them from actually crossing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks