Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,817 times

Advertisements

My youngest daughter, recent grad, age 23 is seriously considering moving to Fairbanks for a job (June arrival). I'm writing out of parental concern and trying to help her make a well informed decision...I'm asking for your local input because as her mother - I know nothing!

We've looked around at apartments and a couple things stand out: everything looks so old & run down, nothing updated and some of the areas look pretty undesirable. She actually called on a couple rentals, but they won't rent / discuss because she cant provide 3 months of local income stubs....this is like a catch 22.

Now you've got the background and I'm hopeful someone can offer suggestions on the following:

She needs a 1 bedroom (heat included) in a very safe area. Her budget is up to $1300. per month and I personally have strongly suggested she look for a furnished apt. She is a non smoker, no pets, very quiet and will be gone on travel one week per month. She's been renting for 4 years, has references, good credit etc.

Another issue is her car. She owns a Subaru Forester awd with 100k miles. It would cost almost $4000. to have the car shipped! She must have a vehicle there, she'd be going into field, office etc., but the alternative is her driving it...which I hope doesn't happen.

As a Mom I worry about her safety...and I realize she's an adult, BUT that's just what Moms do. Any thoughts or suggestions truly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:16 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,309,970 times
First of all, almost everything in Fairbanks looks sort of rundown due to the harsh winters effects on buildings. It's very industrial looking and definitely not your typical scenic Alaska town but beautiful in it's own way .

When we called on rentals a few years ago in Fairbanks, a lot of landlords seemed hesitant or unwilling to rent to people out of state who have never lived here before. After living here, I can kind of understand their reasoning. However, lots of people move up here for school, military or other jobs for the first time and are able to get rentals so it can be done, you may just have to call around a bit. Also, maybe your daughter isn't into roughing it, but dry cabins (no actual running water) can be had for $300-$700 a month and some of them are quite nice, but obviously aren't for everyone. It is a way to save money on rent though.

I don't know any specifics on apartment complexes but my wife has lots of single friend female nurses who have apartments within a mile or two of the hospital that she sometimes stays with. I've seen them from the outside and they don't look like anything to write home about but I've never heard her say anything about them being unsafe. She shouldn't have a problem finding a nice one bedroom for $1300 and in that budget it should be a fairly nice safe place. There are some fairly new complexes off Airport way that look nice even from the outside. I certainly wouldn't feel unsafe there. There are some creepy people in Fairbanks just like everywhere, but as long as she used good judgement (ie don't walk downtown drunk at 2am) she shouldn't have to really encounter them.

If money is a concern, she should probably just drive up. It would save the plane ticket cost, and car shipping cost plus she can pack her personal belongings in the car. If she got the car checked over before she left and had a copy of the Milepost, she should be fine driving up. It's a well maintained year round highway. The used car market up here can be expensive.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:00 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,870,524 times
Don't ship the car. Not worth it. Either drive it up, or sell it and use the proceeds plus the cash that shipping would have cost to buy a lower-milage used vehicle. As 6.7traveler said, the Alcan is totally drivable, especially in the summer. It's a long drive, not a bad one.

She'll be able to get a decent place to live at that price, especially without pets. I know it's annoying for people who are relocating, but a lot of landlords just don't list things online, and even a lot of the ones who do list properties online still don't do business remotely - people here are big on, like, looking you in the eye and settling it over a firm handshake or whatever. But yeah, landlords here like to rent to nurses, teachers, etc. I'd keep looking for a rental, but not worry if she doesn't have one by the time she heads up - can always spend a week or two at the long-term stay hotel while she looks for a place. Also, she should talk to her contacts up here - you get some of the best deals on rentals by word of mouth, in my experience.

Pretty much all the buildings in Fairbanks look kind of grimy outside. That's the subarctic for you.

I know it's easy to say and harder to do, but don't fret too much - if she moves up here, it'll feel like a big adventure for her, but it's actually quite a well-trodden path, and not very risky at all if one has a little common sense and a good job already lined up.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:56 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,108,441 times
Everyone's responses here are right on target. Also, for a while I lived in that area 6.7 mentioned within a mile of the hospital. It is much better than it looks from the exterior views. Another area I would recommend is called the Aurora subdivision. There are some cute little homes in there that are either rented whole or that have been cut up into apartments, and it is a family neighborhood.

Most everything here is bought, sold, traded or rented off of Craigslist. I don't know where you've been looking, but look here if you have not been already. The other place is on Facebook... lots of Facebook sites for buying, selling (renting) & trading.

fairbanks apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

One thing to be very cautious about is heating fuel. It is best to look for a place where heating fuel is paid for as part of the rent, but you'd be lucky to find such a place. So, it's important to ask about the heat source/s and the history of fuel consumption. I have lived in a place that the heating fuel in the winter cost more than the rent during cold snaps, and the rent was $800/mo. It should be considered a major expense, regardless of what the landlord might tell you about the price of oil or heating fuel, because although it is relatively cheap now, it could go back up to $4.50 - $5/gal, which is very painful in the winter. A Toyo stove is a good heat source. I think boilers are a pain in the ass not to mention not very fuel efficient, but others might disagree with me on the boilers. I don't think anyone would argue about Toyo stoves.

Any garage up here is considered hitting the rental jackpot.

She should ask about internet and cable access and service if those are things she wants or needs. Do not assume that it is available. Neither internet or cable is available where I live, although the guy who lives behind me has both. Crazy, I know.

I am not too sure about furnished places... I cannot recall having seen too many of those, but I wasn't looking for them. However, you are smart to make such a suggestion. Hauling furniture up here is ridiculous... it's too expensive unless it's something that has sentimental value and cannot be replaced. Buying even used furniture up here is also very expensive. A lot of people want "new" prices for used items, and they can get it because it costs so much to transport things up here. It's just part of living here... one we complain about periodically here at C-D/Alaska.

I would say drive the car up here if she can fit all her stuff into it. It would be a great car for the area if it's in good running condition. If the only options are to ship it or sell it, sell it. Not worth shipping.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,108,441 times
Oh look at you! You're already dialed into the heating fuel situation. Smart lady!

Old 06-26-2016, 06:32 PM

27 posts, read 33,282 times
I came up here with the military when I was 20 years old. I knew nothing and didn't know what to expect. Her first winter will be a shock, especially if her nose freezes shut like mine did.

You should make sure she has a winter survival kit in her car. I. E. Blankets, hand warmers etc. Investing in good winter gear is key I believe. As was stated above me, heating fuel can be very expensive and should be taken into budgetting if she gets a place with out heat included.

She will also need to plan for a higher cost of living. Most of the goods you can buy in Alaska are shipped in. Local goods are expensive too.

Also, don't pet the wildlife.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,051,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoamom View Post
We've looked around at apartments and a couple things stand out: everything looks so old & run down, nothing updated and some of the areas look pretty undesirable. She actually called on a couple rentals, but they won't rent / discuss because she cant provide 3 months of local income stubs....this is like a catch 22.

She needs a 1 bedroom (heat included) in a very safe area. Her budget is up to $1300. per month and I personally have strongly suggested she look for a furnished apt. She is a non smoker, no pets, very quiet and will be gone on travel one week per month. She's been renting for 4 years, has references, good credit etc.
I'm not sure why the daughter in question cannot ask her own questions. If mom is still bringing worms home to the nest how is your little bird ever gonna fly?

Anyway, the reason apartments look old is because buildings tend to decay faster in any extreme climate whether it be a Tundra or a Desert or a Rain Forest, or especially adjacent to an open ocean.

$1,300 seems high. What kind of job pays enough after-tax income to support that? If your daughter is making 4k a month that's pretty good for 23. But why does she need her own apartment? Perhaps a room mate situation would be ideal for awhile. Not only would it be cheaper, but it would give her time to explore the town and see what else is out there and/or decide what works best going forward.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:08 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,870,524 times
I take it you've never been to Fairbanks, "InchingWest."

Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 PM

14 posts, read 14,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
First of all, almost everything in Fairbanks looks sort of rundown due to the harsh winters effects on buildings. It's very industrial looking and definitely not your typical scenic Alaska town but beautiful in it's own way .

When we called on rentals a few years ago in Fairbanks, a lot of landlords seemed hesitant or unwilling to rent to people out of state who have never lived here before. After living here, I can kind of understand their reasoning. However, lots of people move up here for school, military or other jobs for the first time and are able to get rentals so it can be done, you may just have to call around a bit. Also, maybe your daughter isn't into roughing it, but dry cabins (no actual running water) can be had for $300-$700 a month and some of them are quite nice, but obviously aren't for everyone. It is a way to save money on rent though.

I don't know any specifics on apartment complexes but my wife has lots of single friend female nurses who have apartments within a mile or two of the hospital that she sometimes stays with. I've seen them from the outside and they don't look like anything to write home about but I've never heard her say anything about them being unsafe. She shouldn't have a problem finding a nice one bedroom for $1300 and in that budget it should be a fairly nice safe place. There are some fairly new complexes off Airport way that look nice even from the outside. I certainly wouldn't feel unsafe there. There are some creepy people in Fairbanks just like everywhere, but as long as she used good judgement (ie don't walk downtown drunk at 2am) she shouldn't have to really encounter them.

If money is a concern, she should probably just drive up. It would save the plane ticket cost, and car shipping cost plus she can pack her personal belongings in the car. If she got the car checked over before she left and had a copy of the Milepost, she should be fine driving up. It's a well maintained year round highway. The used car market up here can be expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoamom View Post
My youngest daughter, recent grad, age 23 is seriously considering moving to Fairbanks for a job (June arrival). I'm writing out of parental concern and trying to help her make a well informed decision...I'm asking for your local input because as her mother - I know nothing!

Now you've got the background and I'm hopeful someone can offer suggestions on the following:

Another issue is her car. She owns a Subaru Forester awd with 100k miles. It would cost almost $4000. to have the car shipped! She must have a vehicle there, she'd be going into field, office etc., but the alternative is her driving it...which I hope doesn't happen.

As a Mom I worry about her safety...and I realize she's an adult, BUT that's just what Moms do. Any thoughts or suggestions truly appreciated!
How I wish I can help but not familiar with that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: