Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:47 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,190,464 times

Advertisements

I know of a place where you can hike to and live in a bus.
and there is no room in Anchorage, the shelters are full!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 12:48 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,525,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Since you goal is Alaska, let me suggest you start off in Anchorage, not Fairbanks. The weather isn't as extreme and there's more support services if you need them. There's probably also more jobs. Wait until late spring/early summer to go to Fairbanks, if that's still your goal.
Ditto to this comment. We didn't come up without a job and were able to rent a place and still picked Anchorage. In fact, my wife said that she would only live in Fairbanks at first if that was how we had to get here - but wouldn't want to stay there as it is too cold. For some reason, I thought you had a job in Fairbanks and that is why you were going there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by YemeniAlaskan View Post
Thank you AKStafford for showing me the way round alaska by car. I'll check more places in maps that I can get to by driving.

Like I said I am right now wandering from place to place, I'd rather wander in Alaska. Anchorage by far seems like it is a place a person can park on streets and sleep in a car since the weather is similar to where I am right now..I can live it.

Also, i do have a camp tent and sleeping bag, do you know places there that I can install my tent and sleep there instead of a small car?
I have not seen it, but I hear there is a "tent city" in Anchorage. Not sure, wait, 100% sure, I wouldn't want to live there though.

As far as other cities, there are TONS of other cities you can drive to. Technically, you can drive to Juneau, it just involves a Ferry ride and around $37 from Haines.

Here is why we are all saying Anchorage or I would even say Mat-Su Valley (Wasilla or Palmer). That area has more than HALF of the states population and there are JOBS here. You chances of finding a job are much much higher here. You didn't give us your skills/certifications or I can't remember you saying, so maybe one area is better than the other. Fairbanks and surrounding area has 100k people - Fairbanks itself 32,000 people. Anchorage has 330,000 and Mat-Su Borough another 95k. So over 400k people and the mat-su is growing.

Obviously you will do what you want to do regardless of the warnings. If you are going to live in your car or a tent outside in Alaska right now, please help out the Police and leave a piece of paper in your pocket or wallet with your next of kin information on it. I remember when we did evacuations for hurricanes in Florida and went to mobile home parks. When someone would refuse to leave we'd make them all fill out their information and next of kin information on a toe tag from the Medical Examiner's (Morgue) office.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:45 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,489,070 times
The OP is a troll.

There's no way any reasonable person would stick to such an illogical plan, despite the unanimous disagreement of numerous knowledgeable Alaskans.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:55 PM

80 posts, read 146,627 times
OP, CD is a great place to get real information and advice. I really hope you take heed to the experience and knowledge of the other posters. You're not the only one to attempt a dangerous move to Alaska. Chris McCandless and others who made extremely irresponsible decisions don't receive any sympathy. They're notorious for being stupid. It can get -40/-50 in Fairbanks... what happens when you fall asleep and your car stops running? You die in your sleep of hypothermia. Have you ever experienced hypothermia, do you know the symptoms? If you have a tent and sleeping bag, what is the temperature rating for the bag? What kind of gear do you have? Do you have experience camping? I've never heard anyone install a tent. My husband and I winter camp in South Central and South East AK (very different temperate locations, and much more mild than Fairbanks) and it's an expensive activity to be properly geared up for. There are campgrounds and they charge, I'm not sure exact amount because I have yearly passes to the local and state parks that are more economical. You could be fined or shot at if you camp on state land or private property that looks like it's public. For someone who has always dreamed of Alaska, you don't have enough knowledge of this state to survive and the folks on this thread are sincerely concerned for your well-being. I had a really hard time trying to make my post sound less harsh and failed, so welcome to Alaska!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:25 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,190,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
The OP is a troll.

There's no way any reasonable person would stick to such an illogical plan, despite the unanimous disagreement of numerous knowledgeable Alaskans.
Unless they belong in API.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,619,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
The OP is a troll.

I think he sincerely believes he can pull this off...

Old 12-12-2014, 05:18 PM

63 posts, read 99,282 times
Guys I am not a troll. THIS IS WHY I WILL DO IT SOO BAD TO ALSO PROVE THAT NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!
I'll be in ALASKA, live my dream, fight death, and have a story to tell for my kids if indeed I lived!!!

Here are some stupid proofs so you guys can take me seriously:
http://acurazine.com/forums/second-g...a-maps-922815/

http://acurazine.com/forums/second-g...dation-922814/

Last edited by YemeniAlaskan; 12-12-2014 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: adding proofs -__-

Old 12-12-2014, 05:44 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,107,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericathynes View Post
OP, CD is a great place to get real information and advice. I really hope you take heed to the experience and knowledge of the other posters. You're not the only one to attempt a dangerous move to Alaska. Chris McCandless and others who made extremely irresponsible decisions don't receive any sympathy. They're notorious for being stupid. It can get -40/-50 in Fairbanks... what happens when you fall asleep and your car stops running? You die in your sleep of hypothermia. Have you ever experienced hypothermia, do you know the symptoms? If you have a tent and sleeping bag, what is the temperature rating for the bag? What kind of gear do you have? Do you have experience camping? I've never heard anyone install a tent. My husband and I winter camp in South Central and South East AK (very different temperate locations, and much more mild than Fairbanks) and it's an expensive activity to be properly geared up for. There are campgrounds and they charge, I'm not sure exact amount because I have yearly passes to the local and state parks that are more economical. You could be fined or shot at if you camp on state land or private property that looks like it's public. For someone who has always dreamed of Alaska, you don't have enough knowledge of this state to survive and the folks on this thread are sincerely concerned for your well-being. I had a really hard time trying to make my post sound less harsh and failed, so welcome to Alaska!
I started out trying to be nice as well, then I abandoned that approach for one that might be more effective. I think you did better at being nice than I did.

I don't think the OP knows who Christopher McCandless is.

Christopher McCandless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Possibly more importantly, I also don't think the OP knows what you mean when you asked what the "temperature rating" is for his/her sleeping bag. Gonna to make another guess that s/he does not know what the "gear" is you mentioned that would be required to spend any amount of time outside during the winter up here.

I spend a lot of time outdoors... I camp a lot. I have also never run across an installation manual for a tent.

Some light reading on hypothermia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia

Old 12-12-2014, 06:59 PM

63 posts, read 99,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I started out trying to be nice as well, then I abandoned that approach for one that might be more effective. I think you did better at being nice than I did.

I don't think the OP knows who Christopher McCandless is.

Christopher McCandless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Possibly more importantly, I also don't think the OP knows what you mean when you asked what the "temperature rating" is for his/her sleeping bag. Gonna to make another guess that s/he does not know what the "gear" is you mentioned that would be required to spend any amount of time outside during the winter up here.

I spend a lot of time outdoors... I camp a lot. I have also never run across an installation manual for a tent.

Some light reading on hypothermia:

Hypothermia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for making it clear, even though I know all these but doesn't seem like it is striking me, I can handle it. I know about McCandless, I seen the movie too into the wild. I know my sleeping bag handles -5 that being said with clothes on and blankets I'll be sleeping in 60 degrees.

I am not trying to bring arguments or anything..I really loved all your comments guys and I feel you more honest with me than my "past" family and friends.. I am just a person who will go for it no matter what, but with infos from you guys who live there would really make a big help. I appreciate everyone's opinion and the line they drew for I can imagine myself living within your sentences guys.. Hey probably I'll be something in Alaska one day that you guys can come back to this post and say hey this him!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:12 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,525,838 times
I don't feel like joining the Acura forum so ill respond here. Winter here is hard on your motor. I'd use synthetic motor oil and change it according to the maintenance minder... My truck takes 3 gallons of oil and that is what I do. And the type of driving you'll do to get here isn't as hard as stop and go in a hot environment but it isn't as easy on your motor and transmission as flat highway driving either. Speaking of which, when was the last time you changed that horrifically expensive transmission fluid? IIRC, that's a 15k mile interval change.

I know I said it before but don't drive up here on all season tires in the winter. Severe winter/snow with or without studs. Canada may not even let you in without chains and or winter tires. Some northern roads are the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks