Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 AM

5 posts, read 15,690 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I may have the opportunity to transfer to Fairbanks for my job, and the salary would be around 33k starting. I know it's not that much but I am single, no kids, car is paid off, and I'm frugal, so give me your honest opinion: is that enough to live on in Fairbanks? I've done some research and I'm aware of the high cost there, I've heard heating prices can be completely insane.

I would be moving from Phoenix, where I've lived my entire life of 28 years, and I know it would be a HUGE change from probably the hottest to coldest city in the country, but there is something about Alaska, it almost feels like I'm being drawn there. I actually have visited Fairbanks as well as Anchorage and the Southeast on land expedition/cruise, but it was only for a day in each place. Anyway guys give it to me straight, what would my standard of living be like on that salary so I'll know if I should consider the transfer or not, thanks.

Last edited by nmv11; 04-02-2013 at 02:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,531,697 times
Standard of living is tricky for anyone to answer... Figure you will have a tad over $2k a month to live on and start subtracting. Does this job come with benefits, like health care?

Can you live in or want to try living in a small dry or damp cabin? Roommates? Do you gotta have cable and a smart phone data plan? What do you eat? Might want to call a local insurance company to verify what your insurance will be. Figure you will need a new wardrobe the first year and your car will need winterizing. Yep, you can be frugal there as well, but it adds up quick. Just snow tires alone can be spendy depending on your ride.

I know you said you can live frugally, but I have friends that consider roughing it in the wild outdoors as staying at a hotel without WiFi. I did my own budget, but since we are four (2 kids) my math won't help you much. Plus, as a single person you can find some inexpensive rental units that are way too small for us.

Good luck...l

Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,266,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmv11 View Post
Hi there, I may have the opportunity to transfer to Fairbanks for my job, and the salary would be around 33k starting. I know it's not that much but I am single, no kids, car is paid off, and I'm frugal, so give me your honest opinion: is that enough to live on in Fairbanks? I've done some research and I'm aware of the high cost there, I've heard heating prices can be completely insane.

I would be moving from Phoenix, where I've lived my entire life of 28 years, and I know it would be a HUGE change from probably the hottest to coldest city in the country, but there is something about Alaska, it almost feels like I'm being drawn there. I actually have visited Fairbanks as well as Anchorage and the Southeast on land expedition/cruise, but it was only for a day in each place. Anyway guys give it to me straight, what would my standard of living be like on that salary so I'll know if I should consider the transfer or not, thanks.
Don't even consider it. I was also born in Phoenix living 31 years there and once had a crazy idea to live in Reno, NV. Needless to say that within a month I could not stand it and went to Las Vegas as I did not want to go back home defeated. The cold just rips right through us since we are desert rats. Reno is a hot desert compared to Fairbanks, so I hope you get my point.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,720,176 times
if you love the outdoors and dont mind frugal, rustic living, you will do just fine.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,229,536 times
Well, a single person can probably make it on 33K. But the standard to living would have to be brought down to quite a lower level. Renting a room at a boarding house is an example of what I am talking about. Rooms along University Avenue, not far from Fred Meyer, cost around $300 to $400 per month, but one has the share the living room, bathroom, and kitchen. Renting a 1-bedroom apartment could cost from $900 to $1,200 depending on garage or not. If your car breaks down and you don't know how to fix it, expect to pay from $70 to perhaps $90 per hour for labor, plus parts. Gasoline costs around $3.95 per gallon at the moment.

My wife and I are very frugal. We buy used vehicles and pay cash, so we don't have a car monthly payment nor any other loans other than what we owe on one home. Today she was adding all the expenses for heating fuel, gasoline, groceries, house payment, and the rest, and she us up to $60K per year so far.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM

863 posts, read 2,080,445 times
It can absolutely be done. It will help if you're willing to give up running water ("dry cabins" are common on the outskirts of Fairbanks). It'll also help if your job provides benefits and if it's likely that the salary will go up considerably.

Even without any of that, it can be done, but I don't think it would be fun to live like that long term.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:14 PM

5 posts, read 15,690 times
Thanks for all the replies guys, it might not be the best idea at this time, got some thinking to do.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:27 PM

Ray - regular rate here is $95 per hour. My diesel truck is $125 and so are luxury cars... I have seen higher too. I do as much of the mundane maintenance as I can. (fluid changes, brakes, etc...)

Now in anchorage a shop wanted $145 for an oil change on the f150 I was driving. (it was a rental - the rental agency said keep on driving... So I didn't get it done)

Good estimate Ray - but I think it shows $33k is possible, but I agree, not a lot of room for financial emergencies or travel/entertainment budget.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,229,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Ray - regular rate here is $95 per hour. My diesel truck is $125 and so are luxury cars... I have seen higher too. I do as much of the mundane maintenance as I can. (fluid changes, brakes, etc...)

Now in anchorage a shop wanted $145 for an oil change on the f150 I was driving. (it was a rental - the rental agency said keep on driving... So I didn't get it done)

Good estimate Ray - but I think it shows $33k is possible, but I agree, not a lot of room for financial emergencies or travel/entertainment budget.
Yes, a single and not too old person should be able to manage. However, one may have a little more leeway in Anchorage than Fairbanks. More jobs and cheaper utilities over there.

The last time I had some work done on my Big Bear ATV I was asked $90.00 an hour. It cost me $450.00 to have the rear axle bearing plus two driveshaft bearings replaced
After the work done by the mechanic he did not adjust the rear brakes property. I found out about it when unloading it from the trailer at home. I had to adjust the brakes following the instruction on the manual.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM

Ray - Nice... I see that quality work has taken a dive everywhere. I won't go into the number of times I have to bring my vehicles back and forth to the dealer to have the work done correctly. From putting in wrong oil, wrong additives in the coolant, etc... Even had to get an understanding in writing that if my diesel motor blows up because of a coolant failure it will be covered under warranty.

Define not too old - I had relatives that worked on their cars into their 70's... Lately, because I don't like turning wrenches anymore, I just buy new and keep it until the extended warranty runs out and do my own maintenance. Even my work's shop mechanic says it is getting to the point that it is too expensive to maintain an older vehicle. Case in point, they don't make the parts for my assigned work car anymore, which is a 2001 Ford Taurus. Some stuff is still around, but the steering wheel is 'obsolete' and you can't get it new. On mine the vinyl broke on the rim, I have a cover on it now, but the car will end up being taken out of service over a steering wheel at one point. Today you can get extended warranties for at least 7 years from the vehicles in service date.

Quads, ATVs, Sno machines, etc... are a different story. I can't imagine having to pay a shop to maintain them, it is expensive enough to do it yourself. At least when you do it yourself, things like not properly adjusted brakes don't happen... However, the work you had done, I may or may not tackle myself... Mainly because I am sure non of my vehicle axle tools would work and I would have to buy new ones...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks