Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:58 PM

25 posts, read 105,194 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I've read most of the threads about Fairbanks, as well as some of my own research, and definitely am interested.

My question though, was if any of you guys or gals knew about the location of the University (UAF) in the town. Is it downtown, just outside, in its own rural area... and most importantly, is it in a scenic area? I really want to experience the beauty of Alaska (but not the big-cityness of Anchorage), but just want to ensure the university isn't in a bad location or what have you before I go take the time to visit. And how about the university's looks in general?

Any other info on the subject would be wonderful

Thank you all, enjoy the beginning of wonderful winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 10:02 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,892,694 times
Arcticthaw would be a great one for this, he's from Fairbanks.

I go to UAS (in Juneau) and I have to say I'm impressed with the system. If UAF is at all like UAS you will not be disappointed.
You really can't go wrong with Alaska, especially if you are a biology, glaciology, geology, or zoology student. I've also heard great things about UAF's astronomy program, and they do run the Marine Biology graduate program (which means I'll end up there eventually), interesting but true. They also administrate some of the labs that UAS uses, like UA's portion of the new Lena Loop lab.
Depending on your major you should check out Juneau too.

Last edited by Xa'at; 10-05-2007 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,234,375 times
It's on a hill on the north side of Fairbanks, and looks down over the town. About 4-5 miles west of downtown (such as it is). About 3-4 miles from the airport to the SE.

It's 2 miles or so to the Fred Meyer, but Sourdough Sam's is only about a mile downhill. It has the best sourdough pancakes in AK.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,445,728 times
Yes UAF has a commanding view of the valley from its perch on the north west corner of town. Imagine on one side you have College, and farther over Fairbanks, To the south The view of the Tanana flats, Alaska range, and on a clear day Mt. Mckinley (Denali). South west is the Agricultural experimental station and farm. To the west is West ridge, this is where most of the science buildings are, Arctic Biology, Geophysical, Arctic Research, Marine etc. Northwest you will find the ski trails and more rural areas. North are more trails, some additional student, and faculty housing, with more woods and University land. North East you will find lower land as the valley streaches towards the hills, this is mainly light density homes with some cabins mixed in a few places. Continuing back around to the East you will find town.

UAF runs a shuttle service on campus, becasue parking SUCKS!!!!! They keep trying to turn it into a no vehicle campus, but were in Alaska the land of -40 and they don't get it.
The borough (state sized county) has revised the bus system with new busses and better routes. Lots of Routes to UAF.

Most the student housing is either between main campus and west ridge. There is some dorms in the lower campus near Tilly commons. There is a Pub on campus along with a small bowling alley. At the bottom of the hill is College, which has an Oaken Keg (spirits) Sams Sourdough Cafe, a couple of Pizza places, and College Coffee house, I mention this one because they have live local music on Fridays and sometimes other days of the week. If you do come up you have to try Broom Ball. This is played on the hockey rink late at night, in shoes, and with a special broom and ball. Soccer skills seem to help. I understand it is lots of fun and a great way to meet other students.

Astetic wise, Most of the building on the upper campus are either new or remodeled. The ones on the lower campus are older, but appear to have had recent upgrades.

You can be out in the WOODS in about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on what you wish to be doing.

More questions let me know and I will see if I can help.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 AM

Thank you Arcticthaw, a great description if I've ever seen one.

Sorry to bother, but you seem to really know your stuff so thought I'd get a few more questions out.

-Are there many off-campus housing options available in close proximity to campus (~10 minute drive)?

-What is the size, in area, of the campus?

-I see they have a fairly new recreation center that looks pretty cool. Thoughts?... if you've seen it/been it... as I would likely be running cross country at UAF.

-Getting back to the previous point, are there many nice trails around campus... since for me, nothing beats a nice jog into nature. Like going through forests and nice lush, scenic areas?

-Are you aware of which programs the university is particularly strong in and has a good reputation for?

-I know it's weird, but I'm really looking for isolation and remoteness. I figured Montana would fit the bill, but still feel it is much too urban for me. How would you say Fairbanks and the area the campus is in ranks on the urban/rural scale?

-What is the average winter day like? This isn't really a huge concern for me, but is there usually a real bitter wind causing the temperatures, or is it fairly still? And how much precipitation (rain in spring/fall, snow in winter) is the norm?

-Do you know which airlines fly into Fairbanks? I could look it up, just thought you might know off the top of your head.

-I've always wondered this, so how often can you see the Northern Lights in and around Fairbanks? I would love to experience seeing this, and as much as possible... I really can't imagine it getting old.

-What are the main stores in the area for necessary purchases, there has to be a Wal-Mart around? Is there something in walking distance from the campus?

-What are gas prices like?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks alot!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:29 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,445,728 times
Well the main campus is about 4 square miles. With buildings on a strip about 1/2 mile deep by a mile wide or so. The low lying area to the south has fields for the experimental station. On the north side of the hill past some student housing are trees and trails. These trails are dedicated for running and cross country skiing. There are lots of bike paths near the road, plus other trails you can run on not far from campus. There seems to be lots of runners in town. Some kind of run or race everyother weekend in the summer. The biggie is the Equinox marathon. People come from around the world to make that run.

Off campus housing is a mix right now. We have had huge housing increases so the costs have risen. You can get anything you can afford from a "dry cabin" with out house to share an apartment or house with a few friends. Look at Fairbanks Daily News-Miner for price and availability.

Well for remoteness I can make a 12 minute drive and be moose hunting.. There are places with homes that are off the electrical grid. So yes you can get remoteness. Its a long walk though..

Alaska Air is the big dog here. Unless it is summer time, then Northwest comes up with tourists, and a German airline comes in the summer with direct flights. Japan air comes in the winter for the northern lights.

On a clear night as the solar flux varies (we are in the bottom of that cycle right now so it should start to pickup) several times a month would be an average. No it doesn't get old. Like having moose in your yard, always a Kodak moment.

UAF is known for its Arctic research, Marine, and Geophysical. They seem to have a decent business college. and Started out as the school of MInes. Your going to have to do more research in this area. Remember the UA is a statewide system with research in all enviroments.

Groceries, there is Safeway, and FredMeyers. Freds also sells clothes and household items. Think Super Wallmart. Speaking of the big W they finially built a store a couple of years ago, (I am not impressed) and are now in the proccess of adding the grocery side. We have three local stores for good winter and hiking gear. Gotchocks, and Sears for more clothes. All the normal fast food joints, except Arbys.

Gas has been holding at about $2.89 for unleaded. the grocery stores have a program where you can save money on gas. This allows me to buy mid grade for the same as unleaded. I prefer the midgrade in my vehicles in the winter, keeps the injectors cleaner I think.

A typical winter day in Fairbanks near solar minimum (December 21) Tempature can be anything from 30 above to -35 with the average around -5 to -15. The air is dry and if there is any wind at all it is less than 7 mph. Outside of town will be cooler and up in the hills may have a breeze. What light there is will be reflected off the snow and everyone uses their headlights till mid day. You will go to work, school in the dark and come home in the dark. Fireworks are spectacular though! If we do get the very cold of -40 and colder it usualy last only a few days to a max of two weeks on average. There is a thing as tempature inversions which hold the cold in the valley. Just drive up into the hills for a beautiful view and warm up as much as 20 degrees. I live in the valley for the closeness to everything. Those that live in the hills put on lots more milage but may save a little on heating oil, so the trade off may be near equal.

I don't know how it will play out, but Alaska Air just bought out Hawwain vacations. IF one has a Alaska Air Milage Credit card. you can get a companion ticket once a year for $50. So imagine at winter break one year flying to Hawaii for two weeks in the dead of winter.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:17 PM

26 posts, read 188,581 times
I just also wanted to add a big thanks for all the info on Fairbanks! I'm thinking about going back to school, and was thinking about Fairbanks myself. It probably won't happen, but the information was great.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,038,394 times
I went to UAF way back when. I stayed on campus for one semester and then got a dry cabin about 4 miles away. I was able to have my own dog team and run the trails right from my cabin. I drove a car to school in the winter but rode a bick in the fall and spring.

I believe you can still do that in Fairbanks. It was great.

BTW. A dry cabin means no running water. But they have showers at the university. A lot of people at the school come in to take showers.

I knew quite a few students who got to school on x-country skiis almost every winter day. There was a place to lock your skiis just outside the student center.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Right on, everything is sounding real good.

What is the general political attitude in Fairbanks? And would you say the area around the campus is safe/well-kept? I just don't want to be close to a rough, run-down kind of neighborhood...

Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,234,375 times
Picture a small city with a small town attitude. Anchorage 30 years ago. Semi-conservative with a quirky, independent outlook. Proud, strong, city of wide shoulders (Thanks, Carl Sandberg). Folks stand together, and are hardy souls. Not a lot of complaining about the weather in Fairbanks - it is what it is. They take what comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks