Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,259 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is Ty!

As you can tell I am new to this forum! but anyways. I am about to get my EMT license and go on to become a firefighter. I currently live in Huntsville, AL. Not a big fan of AL So I am here to gather some info about Fairbanks, What is it like up there? What should i expect when I move there? Should I move to a different place in Alaska? I dont know anything about Fairbanks or Alaska. I never even left AL. So any tips, low downs, whatever would be greatly appreciated

Thanks your new friend
Ty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,722,259 times
Stay in Alabama and get some experience. The job openings for firefighters are so few and the competition so intense your prospects for obtaining that type of job are slim and none. Not try to burst your bubble just trying to save you tons of heartache and grief. Now if you really want a chance you'll need a full Paramedic license.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,599,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
Hello my name is Ty!

As you can tell I am new to this forum! but anyways. I am about to get my EMT license and go on to become a firefighter. I currently live in Huntsville, AL. Not a big fan of AL So I am here to gather some info about Fairbanks, What is it like up there? What should i expect when I move there? Should I move to a different place in Alaska? I dont know anything about Fairbanks or Alaska. I never even left AL. So any tips, low downs, whatever would be greatly appreciated

Thanks your new friend
Ty

Well jobs are getting scarce for outsiders moving here. The fire department has a waiting list that is long, there are entry level wage jobs, but don't pay much. Housing isn't cheap and the temps are going to be very sub zero until April next year.

Wait til spring before you come up to look around and see where you want to be.

Good luck on your dream!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 PM

941 posts, read 1,797,127 times
It seems Anchorage is getting ready to lay off firefighters so that isn't an option here. I heard there are opening for Paramedics but being I'm retired I didn't find out any more.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,520,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
It seems Anchorage is getting ready to lay off firefighters so that isn't an option here. I heard there are opening for Paramedics but being I'm retired I didn't find out any more.
Anchorage is laying off firefighters and police. Taking people off the streets is the worst damn thing they can do.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,043,520 times
You can thank boy-wonder Begich for that.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:35 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,900,544 times
Why are you thinking about Fairbanks? Do you have friends here?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 PM

129 posts, read 531,068 times
The City of Kenai is hiring 3 new firefighters, all three are entry level also. Check www.theblueline.com for police/firefighter/emt/public service jobs. The City of Kenai is the only one for the State of Alaska right now on the website though. Here is a link for more info, http://alexsys.labor.state.ak.us/default.asp

Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 AM

Thanks for all the help! Yea i didn't plan on coming for a few years (I need coin before i even attempt to move) so I was going to stay at home work for about a year or two, Then I was going to try to move to Fairbanks. I picked Fairbanks because..... I really don't know. It was the first place that came up and I thought it looked cool... Kenai? In your opinion what is the best place to live in Alaska? (also I picked Fairbanks because I found a tiny house with like 20 acres of land which is kinda what I want a tiny house with land). I wanna stay at home for a year or so because I can pocket almost all the money I make. That way I won't be making house payments my whole life.

Again thanks everyone for the info

Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 AM

OH! and JACK Thanks for the links I have been looking all over the place to find a search engine for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks