Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,989 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear from the serious exercise people how many squats do you do? Do you use weights and how much? How many times per week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 04:05 AM

181 posts, read 598,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Would like to hear from the serious exercise people how many squats do you do? Do you use weights and how much? How many times per week?
I Used to squat 3 times a week, every time i was @ the gym and i hit squats hard. I did,

Sunday: 2x5 heavy, 1x8-12, 1x20... a typical session might be 215 x 2 x 5, 165x12, 135x20
Tuesday: 3 sets x 2 reps very heavy... 235 x 3 x 2 maybe
Thursday: Front Squat x 5,4,3 (adding 5 lbs each set and each session)- 150x5, 155x4, 160x3 somethin like that

However, now since i am on a new program i only back squat once a week (typically pretty heavy for a good amount of reps) and front squat light-medium weight once a week.

What are your goals?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,975,442 times
Quote:
Well, it depends on my workout and goals at the time and the workout that I am doing that particular day.

Six days per week prior to my workout, part of my normal warmup routine of 3 sets of ten reps (pullups, pushups, double under jump rope, etc.) I also include 3 sets of overhead squats of between 45 and 95 pounds. I sometimes for time, do 100 to 200 air squats. Then other days, I'll do three sets of three reps of front squats with increasing weight on each set. First set is usually 75% of my one rep max. This is for strength increases. Other days, if Im doing HIT, I'll do 1-3 sets of maximum weight that will force failure by reps 6-8.

It really varies as to my scheduled workout that day, what my goals are at the time (bulking, cutting, strength training, muscular endurance, etc), if Im doing whole body workout that day, or if Im going running or doing lot of martial arts training that day.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:30 AM

739 posts, read 2,263,215 times
215 is no where near heavy. I have a very simple routine. I just do 5x5 with 505. And I don't use a belt or that pad because I don't set the bar on my neck I set it on the trapezius muscle.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,977,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Well, it depends on my workout and goals at the time and the workout that I am doing that particular day.

Six days per week prior to my workout, part of my normal warmup routine of 3 sets of ten reps (pullups, pushups, double under jump rope, etc.) I also include 3 sets of overhead squats of between 45 and 95 pounds. I sometimes for time, do 100 to 200 air squats. Then other days, I'll do three sets of three reps of front squats with increasing weight on each set. First set is usually 75% of my one rep max. This is for strength increases. Other days, if Im doing HIT, I'll do 1-3 sets of maximum weight that will force failure by reps 6-8.

It really varies as to my scheduled workout that day, what my goals are at the time (bulking, cutting, strength training, muscular endurance, etc), if Im doing whole body workout that day, or if Im going running or doing lot of martial arts training that day.
Jeez, how much time do you spend at the gym per visit? Sounds like a 3 hour workout!

I use to squat alot more than I do now. I focus on having proper form and going slower now. I can definitely do more weight than I currently use (155 x 4 reps). The more weight I put on, I tend to go faster. Don't even bother worrying about weight, its all about form. This is especially true for squats since you can seriously hurt yourself if you do more than you should. I've pretty much dropped all my weights alot. I use to do 60-75 pound dumbbell chest press but now I only use 45-50 and focus on doing them properly.

Its all about what you want. If you want to be big and bulky, then use bigger weights. I want to be able to do alot of dips, pullups, pushups etc and be able to run at decent amount so being big isn't for me. Since I've dropped the heavy weights, I can do twice as many pullups and a few more dips.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
I Used to squat 3 times a week, every time i was @ the gym and i hit squats hard. I did,

Sunday: 2x5 heavy, 1x8-12, 1x20... a typical session might be 215 x 2 x 5, 165x12, 135x20
Tuesday: 3 sets x 2 reps very heavy... 235 x 3 x 2 maybe
Thursday: Front Squat x 5,4,3 (adding 5 lbs each set and each session)- 150x5, 155x4, 160x3 somethin like that

However, now since i am on a new program i only back squat once a week (typically pretty heavy for a good amount of reps) and front squat light-medium weight once a week.

What are your goals?

My goals are to lose weight and slim down my thighs which have always been really big since I am super short woman and to slim up the big butt. But also want to strengthen the leg muscles, especially quads and hamstrings as the physical therapist told me a lot of my knee pain would go away by strengthening those muscles above the knee and would help me walk better. I've noticed that it does make me feel and move a lot better. I'm also doing cardio too, but I really do enjoy weights and calistenics (sp?). I have no clue how many to do though. I can do 70-100 squats and be really sore the next day so if someone is doing 235 it makes me really feel like a wimp. I'm in middle of moving but once I settle I'm hoping to join a gym and maybe take some personal training lessons.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM

181 posts, read 598,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
215 is no where near heavy. I have a very simple routine. I just do 5x5 with 505. And I don't use a belt or that pad because I don't set the bar on my neck I set it on the trapezius muscle.
i know you're a troll so i am not gonna respond too much, but i squat ass to the ground and i have also messed up my quad playing soccer numerous times so for me, 215 is pretty heavy. I know a guy who squats 700 to the floor, and even if you could squat 505 he wouldn't call you weak for it.

Quote:
My goals are to lose weight and slim down my thighs which have always been really big since I am super short woman and to slim up the big butt. But also want to strengthen the leg muscles, especially quads and hamstrings as the physical therapist told me a lot of my knee pain would go away by strengthening those muscles above the knee and would help me walk better. I've noticed that it does make me feel and move a lot better. I'm also doing cardio too, but I really do enjoy weights and calistenics (sp?). I have no clue how many to do though. I can do 70-100 squats and be really sore the next day so if someone is doing 235 it makes me really feel like a wimp. I'm in middle of moving but once I settle I'm hoping to join a gym and maybe take some personal training lessons.
lol don't feel like a whimp. I would highly advise you not to take PT lessons unless you're at a really good (non-commercial) gym.. Most of the time it's going to hinder your progress since they put you on machines and weird programs with no rhyme or reason. You can't spot reduce fat (choose where you reduce fat from), so i think cardio like HIIT (high intensity interval training) is the way to go for you. It's basically like; sprint 30 seconds, jog 30 seconds, sprint 30 seconds, jog 30 seconds, etc etc. for about 15-20 minutes. For squats, definitely learn proper form before you take on heavy weight. Once you do, for your goals i think you should try something like 20 rep squats. Choose a weight you can typically do for 10-15 reps, but take a lot of breaths between reps and push yourself. You might also enjoy dips, pullups, bench pressing, military pressing, rows, stiff legged deadlifts, conventional deadlifts, front squats, and some other exercises. When you have more muscle you burn more fat, and the above exercises will pack on muscle quicker than most other exercises. Good luck!!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:46 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,975,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Jeez, how much time do you spend at the gym per visit? Sounds like a 3 hour workout!
I spend very little time working out actually. Makes it easier that my "gym" is in the garage so I can workout several times per day. Run in the morning. Weights in the afternoon, heavy bag training after dinner, etc.

The actual crossfit workouts that I do are times so they can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 25 minutes in length. My warm up takes some time though since its 3 ten rep sets of 6-7 different exercises (mostly bodyweight though - pullups, situps, squats, pushups, burpees, etc.)

Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 AM

739 posts, read 2,263,215 times
I have a saying when it comes to weights and its KISS or Keep It Simple and Stupid. I get better results only doing compound lifts and I only do deadlift, squat, benchpress, hang clean, push press, romanian deadlift, and pullups with a belt and weights on it. I think it depends on what you are doing I do not have a beach body or swimmers body I don't have the right proportions

Old 05-06-2010, 09:05 AM

550 posts, read 1,215,495 times
I cycle my squats, though at the moment I have an inner bleeding in my gluteus maximus, so I gotta lay off the weights for a while but what I usually do is:

week1:
monday: 3x15
friday: 3x15
week2:
monday 3x10
friday 3x10
week3:
monday 3x5, 1x3, 1x2, 1x1
friday 3x5, 1x3, 1x2, 1x1

On mondays the squats are done after a quick warmup and the following sets of powercleans:
3x8-12
1x7
3x5
1x1
1x1
and followed by leg exercises

on fridays squats are done after 3x10 power-cleans and 3x15 dips or benchpress and 3 sets of pulldowns of varying reprange (my frontside upper body has a 6-week cycle while my back has a 2-week cycle)

otherwise the schedual looks like this for this spring:
monday: legs
tuesday: back+football practise
wednesday: frontupper body
thursday: HIIT+football practise
friday: full body(unless saturday is a gameday then I rest friday)
One friday/month: special cleans workout.
saturday or sunday: game-day
thought I should mention that so you know what it's adjusted for...

Just know that the right ammount, intensity and reprange is both individual and goal-oriented. adjust after those two factors. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness