Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times

Advertisements

I figure something might be physically wrong with me since I feel underweight. I been going to the gym three days a week of an hour of intense weight training work out. I am gaining muscle, but my weight is still not going anywhere and it seems I am losing more fat and not getting enough muscle.

I am taking whey protein everytime i work out and been eating veggies, oats, and chicken everyday.

I take it I have a small frame. What can I do?

i been following scooby's workshop work outplan, but without the running
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 01:40 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,511 times
Get a proper diet plan with your workout regime ..time u consult a dietician my friend

Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 AM

181 posts, read 598,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I figure something might be physically wrong with me since I feel underweight. I been going to the gym three days a week of an hour of intense weight training work out. I am gaining muscle, but my weight is still not going anywhere and it seems I am losing more fat and not getting enough muscle.

I am taking whey protein everytime i work out and been eating veggies, oats, and chicken everyday.

I take it I have a small frame. What can I do?

i been following scooby's workshop work outplan, but without the running
there you go- i watched one of his videos and laughed my ass off because it was so stupid.

Do you mind going a bit more in depth on your routine and diet (meals per day)?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 AM

739 posts, read 2,261,951 times
maybe its genetics. I am skinny and underweight like you I am only 217 or so but I look like a skeleton.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:29 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
there you go- i watched one of his videos and laughed my ass off because it was so stupid.

Do you mind going a bit more in depth on your routine and diet (meals per day)?
whey protein with a smoothie when i wake up.
then gym monday wednesday friday following his intermediate plan of weight training, but not including his running part.

only eating veggies, protein such as chicken or tuna or turkey or chili, and wheat pasta or oats. sometimes wheat bread.

i talked to my dietician at school. i think talking to the personal trainer at the gym is best.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
then gym monday wednesday friday following his intermediate plan of weight training, but not including his running part.

only eating veggies, protein such as chicken or tuna or turkey or chili, and wheat pasta or oats. sometimes wheat bread.

i talked to my dietician at school. i think talking to the personal trainer at the gym is best.
I see ..well i've been body building since i was 19 yo .. i was skinny too .. well i had to grow somehow ..so instead of going vertical i simply bulked up lol ..anyways jokes aside .. my diet was a bit heavy ..veggies with wheat bread, rice,cereals,chicken,fish and ofcourse meat (Beef/Goat) ..also raw eggs 2-3 blended with low fat milk and protein suppliment ..

Now, since i followed Arnolds Training through 2 of his books i changed my bulky body into lean muscular .. it depends what type of body u have .. there are 3 types Meso-Ecto & Endomorph ..do some R&D on body building websites ..u'll learn a lot and probably a better place to interact with amateur and pro body builders ..

Add running to your workout regime .. that'll make your body asking for energy,boost your appetite .. drink fresh fruit juices ..vegetable juices once in a while (Carrot,Beet root,Tomatoe).. maintain discipline, hygene and be regular at the gym ..strictly no talking between workouts ..focus and concentration very important to achieve your goal ..dont rest too much while pumping .. sip water after every reps .. remember if u want better results in a short span of time ..u gotta be totally mad and eat like 6 small meals a day .. preferably salads ..snacking is alright but then u'll have to work harder best substitute are protein bars .. boy pump hard till your muscles cry out loud .. go home rest and sleep like a baby .. dude wish u all the best ..may u have the best body on earth lol ..good luck

Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 AM

181 posts, read 598,588 times
Quote:

don't drink too much whey... it's ok in the morning if you're in a rush, but i think if you have some more time that some eggs, an ommelete + oatmeal or whole wheat bread is a good idea.. also have some servings of fruit. If you have 5-6 small-medium meals per day, then it will keep your metabolism fast and since you're eating more calories, if you lift the right way you'll gain weight and muscle.

also, to put it lightly, trainers typically will not put you on an optimal routine for your goals. For you, free weights (squatting, deadlifting, bench pressing, etc.) are going to be optimal and get you to where you want to be in the quickest amount of time possible when coupled with a good diet. It will still take time to get a good physique, but free weights will get you there a lot faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm24x7 View Post
I see ..well i've been body building since i was 19 yo .. i was skinny too .. well i had to grow somehow ..so instead of going vertical i simply bulked up lol ..anyways jokes aside .. my diet was a bit heavy ..veggies with wheat bread, rice,cereals,chicken,fish and ofcourse meat (Beef/Goat) ..also raw eggs 2-3 blended with low fat milk and protein suppliment ..

Now, since i followed Arnolds Training through 2 of his books i changed my bulky body into lean muscular .. it depends what type of body u have .. there are 3 types Meso-Ecto & Endomorph ..do some R&D on body building websites ..u'll learn a lot and probably a better place to interact with amateur and pro body builders ..

Add running to your workout regime .. that'll make your body asking for energy,boost your appetite .. drink fresh fruit juices ..vegetable juices once in a while (Carrot,Beet root,Tomatoe).. maintain discipline, hygene and be regular at the gym ..strictly no talking between workouts ..focus and concentration very important to achieve your goal ..dont rest too much while pumping .. sip water after every reps .. remember if u want better results in a short span of time ..u gotta be totally mad and eat like 6 small meals a day .. preferably salads ..snacking is alright but then u'll have to work harder best substitute are protein bars .. boy pump hard till your muscles cry out loud .. go home rest and sleep like a baby .. dude wish u all the best ..may u have the best body on earth lol ..good luck
I am going to respectfully disagree with the running. I'm not one of those guys who discounts running to someone who bulks, but i think in the OP's case, he should wait until his body becomes acclamated to lifting before he begins to even think about running. I am helping a friend of mine start to lift, and after 5 months he has brought all his lifts up and seen phoenomal results.. Now, since his body is used to weightlifting and has become acclamated to heavier weights, running doesn't really effect his lifts much, if at all.

good diet advice

Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
don't drink too much whey... it's ok in the morning if you're in a rush, but i think if you have some more time that some eggs, an ommelete + oatmeal or whole wheat bread is a good idea.. also have some servings of fruit. If you have 5-6 small-medium meals per day, then it will keep your metabolism fast and since you're eating more calories, if you lift the right way you'll gain weight and muscle.

also, to put it lightly, trainers typically will not put you on an optimal routine for your goals. For you, free weights (squatting, deadlifting, bench pressing, etc.) are going to be optimal and get you to where you want to be in the quickest amount of time possible when coupled with a good diet. It will still take time to get a good physique, but free weights will get you there a lot faster.

I am going to respectfully disagree with the running. I'm not one of those guys who discounts running to someone who bulks, but i think in the OP's case, he should wait until his body becomes acclamated to lifting before he begins to even think about running. I am helping a friend of mine start to lift, and after 5 months he has brought all his lifts up and seen phoenomal results.. Now, since his body is used to weightlifting and has become acclamated to heavier weights, running doesn't really effect his lifts much, if at all.

good diet advice
I get your point here .. considering the fact that the OP needs to put on weight ..its best adviced to run a quarter mile .. our body needs to warm up ..ofcourse some stretching is good too ..but running certainly boosts the energy level .. u dont have to run before a heavy workout ..i forgot to mention that .. however i just suggested him to value add the exersize ..and he should know where to push his limits .. i as a skinny guy emphasized more on gaining bulk first of all .. u gotta pound some flesh to be able to bare heavy weights ..then u can focus on toning them .. thats all i gotta say ..everybodys got their own different styles .. all in all do what suits u best OP

Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
You probably have a fast metabolism, and you may not be eating enough. You should be eating every 2.5 hours, five meals a day. A typically routine I would outline for beginners is this:

Monday - Chest, arms, back
Tuesday - Legs & Shoulders
Wednesday - OFF
Thursday - Chest, arms, back
Friday - Legs & Shoulders

Take the weekend to rest.

Too much cardio is going to burn calories needed to put on weight. Stick with the basic weight lifting routine and start eating more. In the morning have a healthy serving of oatmeal with some fruit. Lunch and dinner get the proteins in with beef, chicken, pork, fish etc. Don't forget to balance your diet with carbs as well or you won't have any energy. Get some pasta and rice in there too. You don't have to concern yourself with going too lean, a little fat is good for you. If you can't get five meals in, get at least 3 in and substitute the other two with a low sugar protein drink. Or just pack some easy stuff like hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, anti-pasta salad, or grab something on the go like a slice of pizza or a chicken taco, but get the meals in.

Your rest is going to be important, don't underestimate it when trying to put on size. About 80% of your progress and results are gained through diet and rest, the actual workout is the other 20%. Hold off on running and cardio until you start making progress with your weight.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:05 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
I been going to the gym three days a week of an hour of intense weight training work out. I am gaining muscle, but my weight is still not going anywhere and it seems I am losing more fat and not getting enough muscle.
Sounds like you need to eat a lot more. Or, you can do what I did and just follow the The High Intensity Workout Plan as outlined in this book - Amazon.com: The New High Intensity Training: The Best Muscle-Building System You've Never Tried (0039697860000): Ellington Darden Ph.D.: Books

I was a 6' tall welterweight for most of my life until I tried this plan. I went from Welterweight to Cruiserweight in no time at all. Important this is to FOLLOW THE PLAN EXACTLY especially the diet/nutrition part.

When you say you workout is "an hour of intense weight training" what exactly do you mean by that? For me, "intense" weight training is going heavy and slow on the reps with as much control on the negative as on the positive. This to the point of almost (and sometimes) puking and feeling totally spent after the workout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness