Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 AM

840 posts, read 2,089,110 times

Advertisements

Okay so on the 1st I started walking 3 miles everyday, but one day, about t3 or 4 months from now I would want to start running that. So how can I get up to running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:26 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,992,571 times
one day at a time.During your walk,start running for short periods as long as you can go, then continue to walk.Push yourself alittle more each time.You'll be surprized how quickly you will build up some distance.Good luck,hope you enjoy the challenge as much as I do!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,810,711 times
What LK said. Break it into intervals of walking and running. Don't try to run even 1 mile straight, that may seem too daunting. First try walking for 4 minutes, run for 1, repeat... Gradually decrease the walk time and increase the run time. Take your time, it may take a few months to get there, but you need to let your body build up if you've never run.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 AM

536 posts, read 1,872,694 times
Go to cool runnings.com. They have a couch to 5K routine that is great. If you are only comfortable with walking I would stick with that for now. I had never run before and modified it to my comfort level. Worked great. But check it out.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,987,767 times
You can also go to the Nike plus website as they have GREAT training routines for getting up to speed on running as well.

My suggestion is to do walk/runs. Start off by walking for a while, then switch to jogging. Jog for as long as you can, then walk again until you feel like you can run again. Do this for the entire 3 mile course and before you know it, you'll be running more than half way. The important thing is to push yourself on the running part. Run until you feel as though you just cannot take another step, then that is when you switch to just walking.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,780,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
My suggestion is to do walk/runs. Start off by walking for a while, then switch to jogging. Jog for as long as you can, then walk again until you feel like you can run again. Do this for the entire 3 mile course and before you know it, you'll be running more than half way. The important thing is to push yourself on the running part. Run until you feel as though you just cannot take another step, then that is when you switch to just walking.
Yes, this is the advice I would give to. I started running less than 2 years ago after years of a sedentary lifestyle. At first it was very hard, I could only run a few blocks before getting exhausted, then would walk until I caught my breath, then run a little again, then walk, and so on. I gradually built up my endurance and now I can jog 5 miles straight, and my resting pulse rate is in the high 50's. You can do it too!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Go for time instead of distance at first. Say you're going out for 30 minutes (arbitrary time). Try to run as much of that 30 minutes as possible. Walk quickly for the minutes you have to stop running and then start running again as soon as you feel comfortable. Aim for more and more of that 30 minutes to be running instead of walking. You will be surprised how quickly you are up to the whole 30 minutes of running.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:32 AM

26,768 posts, read 26,897,504 times
Born to run? Nobody is but....

Born to run? No, but this former 'Butterball' does now - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness