Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2022, 10:12 AM

652 posts, read 525,762 times

Advertisements

https://www.fitneass.com/wp-content/...le-Group-1.jpg

Is this a good cheat sheet for workouts? Is there anything you would replace on this list, or is this accurate?

Last edited by FrankAce; 02-13-2022 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 12:27 PM

6,831 posts, read 10,561,648 times
I think it depends on what you're exercising for. If you're exercising just for muscle/appearance, this list is probably decent. If you're exercising for athleticism/ability/mobility/function, this list kind of misses the mark because you'd be better off doing exercising that involve more compound motions, multiple muscle groups at once, etc. Something like Mark Lauren's new workouts.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:00 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,718,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
https://www.fitneass.com/wp-content/...le-Group-1.jpg

Is this a good cheat sheet for workouts? Is there anything you would replace on this list, or is this accurate?
Very generic. Where are regular deadlifts? I've done stiff-legged deadlifts in the past but dropped them from my routine. Regarding box jumps, my daughter is a Cross-fit athlete and they do box jumps. She recently tore her detached her calf muscle doing box jumps and my need surgery to reattach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think it depends on what you're exercising for. If you're exercising just for muscle/appearance, this list is probably decent. If you're exercising for athleticism/ability/mobility/function, this list kind of misses the mark because you'd be better off doing exercising that involve more compound motions, multiple muscle groups at once, etc. Something like Mark Lauren's new workouts.
I'm not a fan of bodyweight workouts. I think free weights and machines are much more effective and efficient. There are always benefits to different kinds of workouts, but for most people who have limited time to exercise, free weights/machines can't be beat. The key concept is progressive overload, which is next to impossible with bodyweight exercises.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:53 AM

1,655 posts, read 880,995 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

The lifts/movements mentioned are great, but it really comes down to the individual in terms of what are your goals. This list I would say is best for hypertrophy (making muscles bigger for aesthetics). If performance is your goal (ability to utilize gained strength in an explosive manner), then it's kind of lacking. If pure strength is your goal then you don't need to do that many lifts and should instead focus on compound movements like a above poster mentioned. You also have to consider your experience level. Performing some of these lifts improperly can lead to injury as the poster mentioned with CrossFit. No need to complicate things. I found most people are simply trying to add some lean mass to look good and retain or gain muscle functions. This can easily be achieved (assuming you don't have horrible genetics) with 7 lifts/movements

- Back Squat
- Bench Press
- Dips
- Pull Ups
- Deadlifts
- Push Ups
- Overhead Press

The above lifts have tone of variations and can be performed with barbells, kettlebells, dumbbells, or bodyweight making them practical and allowing you keep things fresh and keep the gains going.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-14-2022 at 09:19 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 12:02 AM

389 posts, read 404,817 times
A good thing to know is that high repetitions with lower weight is good for muscle endurance and stamina.

For example. If you pick up a 10 pound dumbbell and do a curl for 25 reps, for a few sets you will help your muscles perform for a longer duration.

Doing lower reps with higher weights will help if you are trying to increase muscle mass and size.

Everyone works out different. Personally, I like to warm up with lower weights and high reps.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
A good thing to know is that high repetitions with lower weight is good for muscle endurance and stamina.

For example. If you pick up a 10 pound dumbbell and do a curl for 25 reps, for a few sets you will help your muscles perform for a longer duration.

Doing lower reps with higher weights will help if you are trying to increase muscle mass and size.

Everyone works out different. Personally, I like to warm up with lower weights and high reps.
Why would I want to increase the endurance of my bicep muscles by doing curls for 25 reps? Have I really done anything beneficial? That increase in your bicep endurance won't carry over to anything else.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:31 PM

389 posts, read 404,817 times
Endurance is part of strength. I was taught by a football coach that if you are just doing small sets, you are not working the muscle completely and you are not fully strengthening it as well.

You should do something like this, for every muscle group.

Day 1: 3 x 3 bench press, bicep curl, shoulder press with 70% of maximum weight.

Day 3: 25 x 3 of the same exercises, with just 30-35 pounds.

Football is a good example of it. You are constantly working the muscle. Squatting, bending over, carrying your teammates, every play. If you increase your endurance, your muscles will get stronger and will have more stamina.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:17 AM

1,655 posts, read 880,995 times
Quote:
Endurance is part of strength. I was taught by a football coach that if you are just doing small sets, you are not working the muscle completely and you are not fully strengthening it as well.

Day 1: 3 x 3 bench press, bicep curl, shoulder press with 70% of maximum weight.

Football is a good example of it. You are constantly working the muscle. Squatting, bending over, carrying your teammates, every play. If you increase your endurance, your muscles will get stronger and will have more stamina.
True, what good is having all that muscle if you can't do anything with it but look in the mirror. At least that's how I think about it. Performance shouldn't never be ignored. I would also add that it's best to cycle through modes to continue gains. Training only in one mode increases chances of plateauing. Personally I like start with hypertrophy training (8 - 12 reps 70% - 80% of 1 rep Max), then go to strength (1 - 5 reps 85% - 100% of 1 rep Max), and lastly to performance (12 - 16 reps 50% - 65% of 1 rep max). Also keeps things fresh preventing boredom.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
True, what good is having all that muscle if you can't do anything with it but look in the mirror. At least that's how I think about it. Performance shouldn't never be ignored. I would also add that it's best to cycle through modes to continue gains. Training only in one mode increases chances of plateauing. Personally I like start with hypertrophy training (8 - 12 reps 70% - 80% of 1 rep Max), then go to strength (1 - 5 reps 85% - 100% of 1 rep Max), and lastly to performance (12 - 16 reps 50% - 65% of 1 rep max). Also keeps things fresh preventing boredom.
No, so many misconceptions.

No football coach in 2022 is recommending "25 x 3 of the same exercises, with just 30-35 pounds."

Endurance is not part of strength. They are two different things and need to be trained differently. Endurance is mostly cardiovascular. You are not training your cardiovascular system for football by doing "25 x 3 of the same exercises, with just 30-35 pounds."

Ice_Major, what do you mean by "lastly to performance (12 - 16 reps 50% - 65% of 1 rep max)." What does that have to do with performance? If you want to experience boredom, try doing set with high reps like "25 x 3 of the same exercises, with just 30-35 pounds."

Old 02-21-2022, 10:47 AM

75 posts, read 66,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
This is a great point. And I completely agree about focusing more on compound movements/ working multiple muscle groups at once.

With that in mind, here would be a few modifications to your original list:

Chest: I’d add pushups to the chest list. Sure, it’s bodyweight but there are many ways to progress pushups (band pushups, chain pushups, feet elevated, slow tempo, etc.) . Pushups are great for strengthening the chest, deltoids and triceps but they do so in a way that helps keep the shoulders healthy as well.

Abdominals/ Side Abs: I’d add front planks/ side planks to this list. Also, hanging leg raises is another good option.

Quads/ Glutes: Add Bulgarian Split Squats, they’ll work both in a big way.

Lower Back: Personally, I’d remove superman’s and just stick to birddogs. (You’re going to work the lower back plenty when you do deadlifts, KB swings, deadlifts, RDLs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness