Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2022, 03:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I have 3 pet peaves of fellow gym goers:

1. The people sitting on a machine while on their phones on instagram or watching other videos. It's okay if they are on a bike and don't need the use of their arms/hands, but please, either get off the machine or the phone otherwise.
I just had this happening this week. Machine occupied by guy who is texting. Just sitting on it. I do my machine. Do another machine. He still sits there, not having done anything but stare at his phone.

I walk over and ask him if he is actually using the machine or if I can use it. He mumbles something and stacks weights on the machine. Sits back down and texts without using the machine.

I go over again and say "Dude, you gotta **** or get off the pot." I wanted him to get off but he actually started working out. ONE SET. Then he left. At that time I had done another machine and was tired and left myself without using the machine he finally made available
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 03:54 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I just had this happening this week. Machine occupied by guy who is texting. Just sitting on it. I do my machine. Do another machine. He still sits there, not having done anything but stare at his phone.

I walk over and ask him if he is actually using the machine or if I can use it. He mumbles something and stacks weights on the machine. Sits back down and texts without using the machine.

I go over again and say "Dude, you gotta **** or get off the pot." I wanted him to get off but he actually started working out. ONE SET. Then he left. At that time I had done another machine and was tired and left myself without using the machine he finally made available
Kudos for doing that. I bet Mr. Phone Bro will think twice now when he's parked on a machine later this week. This time of year is especially awful as all the high school and college kids are back in the gyms and we all know how tied they are to their phones.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Kudos for doing that. I bet Mr. Phone Bro will think twice now when he's parked on a machine later this week. This time of year is especially awful as all the high school and college kids are back in the gyms and we all know how tied they are to their phones.
I work out near the marine HQ currently. He was a military guy. I have no issues speaking up. I don't do passive aggressive stuff, I use my voice. Works for me. 45 years and never been in a physical fight (outside of an octagon)

Old 06-23-2022, 08:20 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,354,011 times
1) The Architect. A guy and his younger brother (I think, look similar) now come in daily and workout together. The younger guy will literally plop down on the floor next to his older brother in-between sets always blocking some other machine. Generally for 5 minutes or more between sets. He has a note pad and is constantly writing. Today, he busted out a ruler. A ruler, I say.

2) Mr. Jump Rope (MJR). MJR takes his jump rope with him everywhere and jump ropes between sets. Not a big deal; however, he actually seems to go out of his way to block access to certain things. Today he was jump roping in the one small route between the free weights and cardio area, forcing everyone to walk way around the other side or walk through all of the busy machines.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:23 PM

10,346 posts, read 8,563,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Why do old azz parrots have to talk so loud??? There's a group of three that were 4 treadmills away from me. I could hear them over my music. I actually stopped in the middle of walking and moved treadmills and could still hear them. Now there's another set of 2 parrots. I'm going to get kicked out telling them to shut up
Because they are old and deaf

Old 06-24-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Because they are old and deaf
100%. Loud machines and weights jammed on the ground plus music = people talk louder

Old 06-24-2022, 03:35 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
100%. Loud machines and weights jammed on the ground plus music = people talk louder
Our gym is not like this. They literally are yelling at each other next to each other.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:47 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Sweaty man. He's new and goes on the big stair climber and climbs it like a beast for at least 45 mins. He's sweaty and I mean sweaty. He doesn't have a towel with him so when he goes and uses the weights he's dripping everywhere. I'm like COME ONNNNN

Old 06-27-2022, 11:59 AM

735 posts, read 409,146 times
I had a group of women approach me and ask if I worked out. They started giggling and were staring at me. I felt intimated so I left the machine for them.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:12 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,401 times
I remember one time I was getting ready for a competition and was at the work gym after work. The stair master was in front of the bikes and treadmills in a space in front of the mirrors and TVs. I was watching some rerun with Chuck Norris in it (just looking, was suffering and had no idea what Chuck was doing) and I sped up the treadmill to where I was going fast. (I never used/liked the stair master otherwise).

There were people on the bikes/treadmills behind me. Of course they knew who I was and I knew them because this was the work gym. So my goal was 45 minutes and I was going round the steps as fast of a pace as I could.

All of a sudden my feet slipped out in front of me (blame it on Chuck Norris) and I grabbed the side bars just in time, but I had fallen off the stair master, hanging on for dear life and it was going along while my calves were banging on the steps. I could hear people giggling/chuckling behind me. I had always maintained the appearance (I assumed) of being an experienced, serious, no nonsense and focused athlete.

I pulled myself back up using all the strength I could muster, hurried, switched and slowed the machine down and got off and never used it again. Walked away embarrassed but had survived. I did have big bruises on the front of my calves after that.

I don't know that I was a gym annoyance but I was definitely gym entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness