Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2022, 06:25 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times

Advertisements

Today's candidate......

I'm in the pulley area. Granted, LAF puts these machines way too close together but since there are four smaller pulley machines and two of the larger ones, there is always room to sort of be away from the few people who are in there. This morning, I'm on the far end doing tricep presses and some jackwod proceeds to come to the cable pulley directly across from me with 3 other ones wide open. OK, no biggie, I'll just sort of walk around between sets. Then, he proceeds to put on handles for chest fly exercises and pulls the cables out almost 5 feet so that he's literally inches from me. I mean, ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I actually said that out loud and looked at him befuddled, Mr. Clueless didn't get it. Moved to another area to finish my set and left.

I've asked this many times before....do you think these people are truly that clueless about personal space or just lonely and trying to get near someone to try and spark up conversation or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 06:28 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
Ya'll leave Florida2014 alone!

Old 04-25-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Today's candidate......

I'm in the pulley area. Granted, LAF puts these machines way too close together but since there are four smaller pulley machines and two of the larger ones, there is always room to sort of be away from the few people who are in there. This morning, I'm on the far end doing tricep presses and some jackwod proceeds to come to the cable pulley directly across from me with 3 other ones wide open. OK, no biggie, I'll just sort of walk around between sets. Then, he proceeds to put on handles for chest fly exercises and pulls the cables out almost 5 feet so that he's literally inches from me. I mean, ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I actually said that out loud and looked at him befuddled, Mr. Clueless didn't get it. Moved to another area to finish my set and left.

I've asked this many times before....do you think these people are truly that clueless about personal space or just lonely and trying to get near someone to try and spark up conversation or something?
I wonder about this too. Also that person who stands 2 inches behind you in the grocery store cashier line...smh

Old 04-26-2022, 08:41 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,496,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

I think they are clueless. At my Y there are probably 20-25 treadmills in a row. Sometimes I am the only one on the end machine and someone comes up to the one right next to me. Why? Maybe they are lonely? Maybe they find me attractive? lol I just move to one a few down the line.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:37 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I think they are clueless. At my Y there are probably 20-25 treadmills in a row. Sometimes I am the only one on the end machine and someone comes up to the one right next to me. Why? Maybe they are lonely? Maybe they find me attractive? lol I just move to one a few down the line.
This odd phenomenon was brought up in this thread pre-COVID. I'll never understand this on any level. Even if I wanted to meet an attractive female, I'm sure she'd be completely put off by someone coming onto a machine directly next to her when there are ample other identical machines available.

At my LAF I know there are a few people who use literally the same exact machine every single day. And by every single day, I mean every single day for years and years on end. So maybe it's because you're on "their" machine and that upsets them? I really don't know, like you I just move away from them. I don't want to breathe in your air, smell you or have you anywhere near me. If it's completely packed, I understand and get it.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:54 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
Love the ones who mistake the gym for WeWork and set up shop on the treadmill next to me and yap for 30 minutes.

Of course there are the schmucks who workout in tank tops minus towels and leave their sweat on the equipment or the classless lesser educated usually younger types who cough and/or sneeze without having been trained by their parents to cover their mouth.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:58 AM

I have literally seen (mostly females) get on a leg press machine with like 5lbs of weight and just do really slow reps while texting away on their phones. If you have the energy to have an entire text conversation while doing "reps", you aren't working out hard enough. Get off the machine and let someone who really needs it use it!

Old 04-26-2022, 10:16 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Why is that hard to understand? You seem to be easily annoyed, so I would think you could empathize.
In summary: judgmental people who are constantly monitoring other gymgoers clothing, work-out pace, locker room nudity etc. etc. are annoying to me.
maybe YOU should take the valium.

And don't comment on a thread that is about annoying people at the gym. Are you also at the history forum complaining they talk about history?

Old 04-26-2022, 10:20 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So I'm finally getting back to the gym...I'm new to Planet Fitness. Maybe a mistake?

They have ONE set of dumbells like 5 lbs. up to 75 or something. The problem is somebody who just stands there doing 6 different exercises of who knows how many sets each using 10 lbs. for everything. I'm waiting the whole time I'm there doing all my other stuff and watching constantly to get my chance for those 10 pounders. They really need TWO sets - if they were stacked better they wouldn't really take up any more room.
I don't like Planet Fitness. It is catered to the fat, weak, old, and handicapped. I feel very strong there though, because even though I am not, the weights don't go up very high, the machines not either.

And free pizza Monday nights and free tootsie rolls at the reception desk? Come on ...

Old 04-26-2022, 01:29 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I get this alllll the time at the gym and bars. There's literally numerous open seats/treadmills and they pick the one right next to me. I have headphones on so you can see I'm not interested in talking. At bars, I have resting bytch face so unless I want to talk to you-I look like I can set you on fire with my face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness