Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 11:46 AM

421 posts, read 422,692 times

Advertisements

somone here said you can be shrink due to heavy weight lifting such as Deadlift, Barbell squats...
Is this TRUE?
I am short, I don't have any height to give away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 11:54 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Sounds like nonsense to me.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:54 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
somone here said you can be shrink due to heavy weight lifting such as Deadlift, Barbell squats...
Is this TRUE?
I am short, I don't have any height to give away...
The only way that a person's height could ''shrink'' due to lifting is from the disks between the vertebra in the spine being compressed. That would be temporary.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:08 PM

421 posts, read 422,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The only way that a person's height could ''shrink'' due to lifting is from the disks between the vertebra in the spine being compressed. That would be temporary.
By the same token, a person's height could "extend" due to "hanging bar" or "chin up/pull up"? or "yoga"?

Old 06-17-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
By the same token, a person's height could "extend" due to "hanging bar" or "chin up/pull up"? or "yoga"?
To a certain extent, yes. Astronaut Scott Kelly spent a year on the International space station and grew 2 inches because in a microgravity environment the disks in his spine were not being compressed by gravity. But if it hasn't happened yet, the disks in his spine will recompress back to normal.

When you hang from a bar, or even when you simply lie down you remove the effect of gravity and allow the disks to expand a bit.

Last edited by Michael Way; 06-17-2016 at 06:03 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 05:24 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Lol

Old 06-18-2016, 06:42 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
You might shrink by like an inch on doing rapid and intensive lifting, but complement your squats with stretches afterwards and you can combat any height loss .

Old 06-18-2016, 08:52 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Lol
I know.

The nonsense in this thread at only 7 posts is extremely potent. Shrinking from lifting weights, and getting taller from chin ups? Wow!!!

If I wrap cellophane around my waist will it make my waist smaller?

Will my droopy/sleepy eyelids go away if I purposely walk around with a surprised look on my face like this -

Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I know.

The nonsense in this thread at only 7 posts is extremely potent. Shrinking from lifting weights, and getting taller from chin ups? Wow!!!

If I wrap cellophane around my waist will it make my waist smaller?

Will my droopy/sleepy eyelids go away if I purposely walk around with a surprised look on my face like this -
The only thing I was referring to in answer to the OP was the fact that the disks between the vertebra can compress and expand a bit, therefore causing a bit of a difference in height. If heavy weights were to cause a bit of height decrease it would have to be from the compression of the disks, which would be easily remedied by hanging from a bar. Actually though, a healthy disk would naturally go back normal once the pressure was removed.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:04 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
The only thing I'd be concerned about would be if your growth plates haven't closed yet. In other words if you've stopped growing I don't think you have anything to worry about. Actually lifting weights should help strengthen your bones due to the pressure they put on them and may stave off height loss later in life. The most important thing is to have proper form. I've been lifting off and on for the past 20 years and have never gotten hurt nor noticed any height loss. To me lifting your max to impress friends is far less important than having proper form and building core strength. You don't even need much to lift at home. I just have a curling bar, bench, and a pair of adjustable dumbbells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness