Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:21 PM

7,169 posts, read 9,224,263 times

Advertisements

I think the OP is referring to this thread.

Why are most weightlifters short?

First let me say I am definitely shorter. But I believe that is a result of poor posture, lack or exercise for long periods and plain old aging. I am 60.

Here's an article on spinal compression fractures.

Spinal Compression Fractures Causes, Pain, Risks and More

Here's a better article. It talks about what to do about back problems for bodybuilders.

Save Your Spine: Top 10 Tips For Avoiding The Misery

For those who avoid exercise, avoid the problem?

https://www.painscience.com/articles/chair-trouble.php

How Death by Cubicle Works | HowStuffWorks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 02:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I think the OP is referring to this thread.

Why are most weightlifters short?
If so, this was the correct answer in that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Why are Weightlifters (in the true sense of the word, meaning people who train for Olympic Style Weightlifting) short? They tend to be short for the same reasons basketball players tend to be tall, and Marathoners skinny, and gymnasts short. It is a simply physyics equation that makes them more likely to be able to life heavy weights proportional to other people of the same weight class with different heights.

Now, on the more casual and amateur levels, you see more body types represented (just as you might at a Marathon.)

Old 06-28-2016, 09:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
somone here said you can be shrink due to heavy weight lifting such as Deadlift, Barbell squats...
Is this TRUE?
I am short, I don't have any height to give away...
I'm 61 and have been 6'4" all my life. Give me another 10 years and I'll let you know if there is any shrinkage.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:54 PM

421 posts, read 423,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm 61 and have been 6'4" all my life. Give me another 10 years and I'll let you know if there is any shrinkage.
it's different shrinkage, due to AGING.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:55 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,328 times
Quote:
it's different shrinkage, due to AGING.
I believe villageidiot is implying he has not lost any height over his lifetime, therefore providing evidence that weightlifting does not decrease height, at least in his case.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I believe villageidiot is implying he has not lost any height over his lifetime, therefore providing evidence that weightlifting does not decrease height, at least in his case.
Now I understand what he meant...sorry villageidiot for my lack of understanding....

Old 07-03-2016, 04:15 AM

465 posts, read 418,229 times
I don't think a person actually shrinks in height due to lifting weights. I think their fully body picture is off now because of small joints. Bodybuilders shoulder monitor their full body image because body parts/joints that were average or small size before lifting weights, now look even smaller (hands, head...and I am sure the penis is another). Those parts/joints don't grow while everything else did.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Now I understand what he meant...sorry villageidiot for my lack of understanding....
Were you implying there is other shrinkage I need to worry about?

Old 07-03-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Were you implying there is other shrinkage I need to worry about?
Maybe not, but I am just answering your question now, I heard that people's height is getting shorter when getting older....(e.g. 25 yrs old vs. 75 yrs old)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness