Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 PM

547 posts, read 939,355 times

Advertisements

Two weeks ago I went out for a 13 mile run with my half marathon group. The right side of my right knee cap started hurting, not so much that I couldn't run, but it was hurting nevertheless. Once we got done, I stretched and went home. The knee was sore through out the day and decided to take the rest of the week off and not run at all. The only exercise I did was walk my dog 4 times during the week for 30 minutes. My knee during those walks was fine.

This past saturday, I ran 9 miles with my running group and my knee started to have some irritation in it, but not so much pain that I couldn't run. After the 9 mile run I stretched and went home. The knee wasn't bothering me after I finished my run. However, later on the day my knee was sore. I wrapped a towl around an ice pack and placed it on the right side of my right knee for a while, then did it again later on in the evening and had my leg propped up.

The next day I walked my dog and noticed my knee was somewhat in pain, but still better than yesterday. I even got on the treadmill later on during the day and ran 5 miles. I didn't have in pain during or after my run on the treadmill, but my knee got some what sore a few hours after I finished running.

Yesterday, I took the day off from running and just walked my dog for 30 minutes. My knee was fine and there was no pain at all. I didn't even run today either.

My question for those who have experienced this is:

-is this runner's knee?

-how long does this last before my knee is fully recovered?

As for me, I have never had this before. I did have a sore foot a few months ago which I didn't run on for a week, and I was fine after that. I stretch, drink water, and alternate running outside and on the treadmill. I also bought some new running shoes about three weeks ago. The shoes are Brooks. I worn Brooks shoes in the past and haven't had any problems with them, so I don't know if the running shoe might be the cause of me having the problem with my knee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Don't try to run through pain. That pain is your body trying to tell you it needs rest, developed through millions of year of evolution or by God's design, whichever you prefer.

If you run, sooner or later you will have knee pain. In my experience it's usually caused by other activities but then shows up when you try to run. Running is not bad for the knees.

As for shoes, go to a running specialty store that has a treadmill and can evaluate your stride. The most important thing for knees is to avoid running on pavement, which is hard and thus transmits a lot of shock to the joints. Run on grass or dirt.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,238 times
I would get an MRI of both knees to rule out torn meniscus/ACL.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
Is the pain in your actual knee cap, or your knee? Could be ITBS.

Go see your doctor. Even better if your GP also is a sports medicine DR (my last DR was), ITBS is pretty evident in an ultrasound.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,072 times
Rest and use the roller(a hard foam in the shape of a log) to massage the legs.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 PM

88 posts, read 142,245 times
see a doctor or a therapist?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,602 times
Sounds like a meniscus tear or minor meniscus injury. I say "minor" because if it was serious, you couldn't run at all.

Rest, ice, elevate your leg and take it easy. I've been a serious runner for 30 years and running with a bad meniscus is a recipe for disaster. Your body is telling you something. Listen to it, even though I know how painful it is to lay off running.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
As for shoes, go to a running specialty store that has a treadmill and can evaluate your stride.
Good advice. The fact that you've recently bought a brand you've liked in the past does not necessarily mean that the individual shoe model fits you right. As long as the brand is reputable, the particular brand matters less than finding the individual shoe that fits you well. At a good store dedicated to running shoes, they should be able to find the right fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The most important thing for knees is to avoid running on pavement, which is hard and thus transmits a lot of shock to the joints. Run on grass or dirt.
Good advice.

Also, good advice by all the people suggesting that you get this checked out by a doctor, and lay off running until you find out what's causing the pain, get it corrected, and get the doc's okay to go back to running.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,072 times
As an all around athlete, I can positively state Running is the best sport. Like any other sport, Runners also pay a price for their passion. Doctors told me years ago to stop running. To date, I feel the doctors were being overly cautious. My recommendation is for you to investigate the right mix so that you can run a lifetime.

Over the years, I have determined that I had to change my stride, cut down my miles consumption, mix in other cardio, running on a treadmill became paramount and use the foam roller for stretching. Additionally, no other cardio will match Running, but I did manage to find a love for biking that somewhat calmed my Running hunger because sprinting on a bike is a mother and basically mirrors a sprint on a track. Here is an example of a running pattern that works for me, run 1.5 miles, bike 15 miles and finish with 1.5 miles.

Good Luck!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
I just don't believe that running is bad for the knees. When a teenager I had knee problems from playing basketball on concrete. Later I heard an interview by baseball player Andre Dawson, who also had knee problems. He said one reason he went to the Cubs was the natural grass in Wrigley--he figured it would extend his career by several years (versus harder 'astroturf'). I always remembered that, and when I started running in my 20's I always tried to run on grass or dirt, not pavement.

I've been running over 30 year now, although only entered races in the past few years. I have never had knee problems other than minor aches that go away with a day or two of rest. And when I have had these minor aches, I think they come from lateral stress, not from running.

Everyone is different, of course. I'm a little skeptical of things like elliptical & biking. The body is just not meant to move in that way especially with many repetitions. The body is meant to run. There was a thread not long ago where someone posted that her feet became numb on the elliptical. It turned out that it is a fairly common problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness