Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:47 AM

14,206 posts, read 22,941,121 times

Advertisements

So I've hit the gym again for the last week and a half now, and here's what my routine is:

MONDAY: 60-minute cardio
TUESDAY: Upper-body weightlifting, 30-minute cardio
WEDNESDAY: Lower-body weightlifting, 30-minute cardio
THURSDAY: Upper-body weightlifting, 30-minute cardio
FRIDAY: Lower-body weightlifting, 30-minute cardio

(Saturdays and Sundays are days off, especially during football season.)

My upper-body weightlifting is more comprehensive than my lower-body weightlifting because my lower body has always taken pretty good care of itself. I also try to make sure to do some weight exercises on the smaller, less obvious upper-body muscles.

Between this exercise routine and my effort to limit calories to just under 2,000 per day, I've already lost six pounds since I started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,993,805 times
Your goal is???????? You male or female?

You have weight loss thrown in there, yet you have weight lifting as well. You have limited calories, yet it seems you are concerned about your weight lifting.

You need to be specific about your goal. Then you need to be specific by what "cardio" means and what "weightlifting" means as these terms can mean anything, what exactly do you do? I can spin around on an office chair and call it cardio, and can toss a ball to my dog and call it weightlifting.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,267,068 times
You need to specialize your fitness plan a bit more. No one goes into the gym just for "upper body weightlifting". You need to target two specific groups per visit. Like, Chest/back... or Biceps/Triceps

Old 10-18-2012, 10:04 AM

3,009 posts, read 6,344,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So I've hit the gym again for the last week and a half now, and here's what my routine is:

My upper-body weightlifting is more comprehensive than my lower-body weightlifting because my lower body has always taken pretty good care of itself. I also try to make sure to do some weight exercises on the smaller, less obvious upper-body muscles.

Between this exercise routine and my effort to limit calories to just under 2,000 per day, I've already lost six pounds since I started.
imho, You would probably do best to do a full body weight routine 3x a week, preferably compund lifts ( Squats, deadlift, cleans, pullups, bench press, military press) and cardio on the other days, with Hiit1-x a week. For cardio, are you running, rowing, jump rope, etc.? Also, are you doing core work?

I wouldn't waste time with isolation movements, as the compound lifts will hit those stabilizer muscles well. You will also be spending less time in the gym. Just my .02

Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,279,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You need to specialize your fitness plan a bit more. No one goes into the gym just for "upper body weightlifting". You need to target two specific groups per visit. Like, Chest/back... or Biceps/Triceps

Disagree! Depending on your goals, free weight exercises that use many muscles can be very effective. My goal is increasing muscle mass to increase my at rest metabolism in support of weight loss. I could target shoulder muscles with a seated shoulder press. Or I could also engage my core and legs to stabilize with a standing shoulder press.

My upper body day is both arms and core. One flavor is 5x5 (max weight for 5 reps for 5 rounds) of shoulder press. 5 x 3 Pull-ups. 5 rounds of 20 Sit-ups and back extension. You are working a ton of stuff with those 4 simple exercises.

Isolation has its place. It depends on what you are trying to do.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,979,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

If you're trying specifically to lose weight, add another 15 minutes daily to your cardio.
If you're trying specifically to get fit, add in some core training, such as planks and pushups.
You're also only doing upper body twice a week, and skipping 4 days, and then lower body twice per week and skipping four days.
You might want to reconsider the pattern of that. Maybe do Monday/Thursday 45 minutes cardio, a few sets of pushups, then upper and lower back, shoulders, triceps, biceps, chest. Tuesday/Friday 45 minutes cardio, a few sets of 60-second planks (maybe 1 set elbows down, 1 set pushup style, 1 set alternating arm raises, 1 set side planks on each side), then buttocks, hamstrings, calves, thighs, and hip adductor/abductors.
Wednesday do 45 minutes cardio, 15 minutes weighted walking lunges for balance and core.
Saturday do 30 minutes cardio. Take Sunday off OR go for a long walk, just to stretch your muscles and get some fresh air.
Include some kind of ab exercise every day, in addition to the core. Russian twists, or donkey kicks, situps, crunches, etc.

If you're trying specifically to build muscle (as opposed to get fit, which aren't necessarily the same thing), then I got nothing for ya. The whole "bodybuilding" world is foreign to me and bodybuilders are the head aliens.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,391,377 times
Body-part splits should be reserved for one type of person--body builders (anonchick you're describing a bodypart split).

Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM

41 posts, read 58,667 times
Does the OP really need to do more cardio than that? Diet is what really causes weight loss.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Body-part splits should be reserved for one type of person--body builders (anonchick you're describing a bodypart split).
Not true, at all. I work out almost every day. I don't work out my whole body every day, because the muscles need to rest, in order to strengthen. I'm not trying to build, I'm trying to strengthen my muscles, some of which have fallen over years of neglect to near atrophy. So I do certain muscles one day, and the next day I let up on those - and work on others. I do a little abdominal and core every day.

If I did my lower back every day, I'd injure myself. My back just can't handle that much work 7 days a week. I already work my legs every day by simply walking and standing up - so I work them out with targetted exercise only 2-3 days a week, on alternating days. My arms and upper torso are *very* weak, and so I -cannot- lift every day. But I also can't neglect them anymore, so I work them every other day, alternating days with the work on my legs.

That way, every day, I'm doing *something* without overtaxing anything.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumchick34 View Post
Does the OP really need to do more cardio than that? Diet is what really causes weight loss.
Weight loss is "caused" by a lot of things (including puking from being sick).

Diet and exercise BOTH contribute to weight loss by consuming fewer calories, and burning more calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness