Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,864,557 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering buying a treadmill. The heat is making it very difficult to walk outside and the winter won't be much better. I've been doing indoor step exercises/dancing/etc, but I miss just walking and listening to my program.

I don't want to go to a gym for a number of reasons. On the other hand, I don't want to spend a large amount. I found numerous used treadmills for under two hundred dollars locally.

Would you take a risk on buying used equipment?

Last edited by ParallelJJCat; 09-01-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 PM

7,218 posts, read 9,288,035 times
I would. But then I've never bought a new car in my life either.

Test it out before buying tho. If they won't let you test it tell them thanks but no thanks.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,877,428 times
I would, try it out before you buy it. Treadmills are one of those things that either work, or they do not; not much covering up problems people can do. Also, treadmills seem to be one of those things people buy, and end up hardly using, or ever using, and eventually just sell it.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 AM

810 posts, read 1,811,331 times
No, no, and NO!

Unless I am buying free weights (dumbbells and barbells,) I would never, EVER buy used exercise equipment. You have no idea how much punishment exercise machines, even ones only used sporadically, take. Two hundred dollars is way too cheap to spend on a piece of cardio equipment.

You don't want to skimp on machines, especially cardio machines. You don't need a crapton of features that you'll never use, but you'll want your machine to be durable, sturdy and last. If you get a used machine, the probable costs on repairs will probably outweigh the price that you paid for it in the first place. Go online, read reviews, and buy a good, new machine from a reputable dealer.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 AM

5,319 posts, read 9,000,842 times
I would have no problems buying a piece of exercise equipment from Craigslist.

Exercise equipment is one of those things that people buy thinking they will get into shape, then they rarely ever use it, and then sell it because it is taking up space in their home.

Just try it out while you're there, and make certain to ask the owner if they are aware of any issues with it.

Test every single option, and make sure all features are working properly. Make sure the incline/decline feature works.

Test it out like you would be using at home. Walk on it and run on it.

Don't be in a rush to buy the first used one you see.

Used treadmills are very common on Craigslist, and you may be able to get a great deal on a really good one if you search long enough.

Check online for treadmill reviews, to get an idea of what brands and specific models people recommend, and which ones to avoid.

Also, some owners practically want to give treadmills away just to get them out of their homes, so don't hesitate to offer less than they are asking for it once you arrive at their home.

First I would fully test it out ... and then after you've decided you like it enough to buy it, whatever price they are asking, just offer half of that amount ... and see if they are willing to come down on the price.

If they say no to half, then ask what is the lowest offer they'd accept. You may save yourself a lot of money by doing this.

Last edited by RD5050; 09-03-2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old 08-25-2015, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,587 times
Smile Where to Buy Used Fitness Equipment

If you are on a budget I would suggest buying used commercial fitness equipment. CSM Fitness Equipment sells commercial equipment at an affordable price. We have two warehouse locations in CA and GA. If you are close buy check it out, as fitness equipment can be heavy shipping could add up. But if you live by these locations or are planning to buy a full gym of equipment, CSM offers great deals

CSM Fitness Equipment
CA Warehouse
5600 Argosy Circle
Suite 300
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
Used Exercise Equipment | Used Fitness Equipment | Home Exercise Equipment | Used Gym Equipment | Precor Experience

GA Warehouse
1025 Cobb International Dr NW
Kennesaw, GA 30152
(678) 528-5883
Used Exercise Equipment | CSMFitnessGeorgia.com

Old 08-25-2015, 03:15 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,638,310 times
A lot of what I own I have bought it from craigslist and so far I have had no issues except for a treadmill that I bought for 100 bucks and twice it turned off on me in the middle of my run but I checked it and it was someting in the electronic board and I just wiggled a wire and it turned back on and I still have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness