Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM

62,038 posts, read 87,741,405 times

Advertisements

After all that holiday indulging, many people want to shed a few pounds and usually look to a piece of exercise equipment to help them do it.
Consumer Reports offers tips on buying a treadmill or an elliptical.
Guide to diet and fitness, do-it-yourself fitness guide

Last edited by elnina; 01-03-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,339,524 times
I purchased an elliptical and I didn't take into account the stride length. So, it feels uncomfortable being on it since it seems to be designed for a short person.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM

208 posts, read 407,579 times
WOW!!! Great timing, Elnina!

I'd spent the last few days calling stores and visiting websites, but just getting more confused and frustrated. Should've known to check my trusty city-data! LOL! Anyway, I really need a treadmill right now and alternative solutions are not viable.

Unfortunately, everything I've seen on the subject, including info in the link you've provided, leads me to believe that any treadmill purchase I could make on my budget would be a waste of money, due to the fact that the decks on the less expensive models are not built to withstand the activity for which they're sold.

Nevertheless, my health situation is currently so critical that I'm willing to consider spending what money I do have for a model that I know will eventually break down, if it will only last 3 years or so.

I'm hoping to get input or feedback from treadmill users who have spent less than $500, (really more like $300), on a treadmill. How long did it last? When it did break down, what was the cause? Are there any other factors, which you feel contributed to the eventual premature failure or uncharacteristic longevity of your machine, such as using it more for running than walking or keeping it dust-free?

Thanks to all who reply for anything you can tell me.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,287,327 times
We've had a Schwinn 6900i for a couple years but it was donated to us by my father in law. I'm guessing it's 5-8yrs old and still works great.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
We've had a Schwinn 6900i for a couple years but it was donated to us by my father in law. I'm guessing it's 5-8yrs old and still works great.
Hi SVTRay,

I did find a site which gave lots of good info, (pretty impressive, really), on the Schwinn 6900i, fitness equipment, fitness equipment maintenance , though nothing on the price. I'm guessing from the description that it's toward the upper end of the price range but the header on the page says, "Reconditioned Treadmills", so maybe not. Unfortunately, none of the searches I've done on this model yields pricing info. Any idea what your father-in-law may have paid for it when it was new?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,605,099 times
We have a treamill that we purchased from Sears about 3 years go. It has the crosswalk thing so that you can move your arms. I'm guessing we spent $500 on it. Fits perfect in our finished basement.

For Christmas, my son and I bought an elliptical. $800 at Sears and on sale for $500. Probably not the best model ever - but it gets the job done for me.

Here's the thing - don't forget to factor in HEIGHT with the elliptical! I had the perfect spot picked out cause the machine was not extremely long ~ right in front of the big screen tv ~ and our heads hit the ceiling every time we used it.

I was able to move it to another part of the basement - where the ceiling is heigher and we just use our Ipods instead of watching tv.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,287,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. B. Trippin View Post
Hi SVTRay,

I did find a site which gave lots of good info, (pretty impressive, really), on the Schwinn 6900i, fitness equipment, fitness equipment maintenance , though nothing on the price. I'm guessing from the description that it's toward the upper end of the price range but the header on the page says, "Reconditioned Treadmills", so maybe not. Unfortunately, none of the searches I've done on this model yields pricing info. Any idea what your father-in-law may have paid for it when it was new?
All I know is the man can buy anything. So the sky is the limit. He replaced it with a newer model and started taking up outdoor walking.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,407,579 times
If you're going to use your treadmill for running (and will be on the machine fairly consistently), I urge anyone to purchase a service agreement. Treadmills can and do break down and if you have a service agreement, they will send out a repairman to replace the motor or whatever else is broken. Not just any handyman can work on a treadmill, it's a specialized job. Service agreements for $1200 treadmills should be able $75 but it's money well spent!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
We have a treamill that we purchased from Sears about 3 years go. It has the crosswalk thing so that you can move your arms. I'm guessing we spent $500 on it. Fits perfect in our finished basement.

For Christmas, my son and I bought an elliptical. $800 at Sears and on sale for $500. Probably not the best model ever - but it gets the job done for me.

Here's the thing - don't forget to factor in HEIGHT with the elliptical! I had the perfect spot picked out cause the machine was not extremely long ~ right in front of the big screen tv ~ and our heads hit the ceiling every time we used it.

I was able to move it to another part of the basement - where the ceiling is heigher and we just use our Ipods instead of watching tv.
Thanks, Ringo1,

Re: the treadmill you bought from Sears 3 years ago for $500, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Do you use it regularly?

Yea, height would be an issue for me if I got an elliptical but I'm looking for a treadmill, only.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 8,606 times
I really don't know much about purchasing/maintenance on either a treadmill or an elliptical, since I use a gym, but I have to say from personal experience I used to only use the treadmill and had a very hard and laborious time of loosing weight. Then I got advice to use the elliptical and I noticed faster and better results! I haven't used a treadmill in a very long time and I don't foresee ever going back to it anytime soon. Best of luck with which ever you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness