Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 AM

465 posts, read 465,239 times

Advertisements

For a while there I was feeling rather unmotivated and generally lazy and my workouts weren't all that intense. I was going through the motions and exercising 4 or 5 times per week, but all I was doing was maintaining, even though my diet was good.

About a month ago I turned up the intensity a lot and suddenly I see a huge change in the mirror. I've got that wow factor again.

Diet is important. And you can get "in shape" with moderately intense workouts and a good diet. But if you want the wow factor with your physique, your workouts need to be brutal. You gotta push yourself over the limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:36 AM

968 posts, read 2,594,286 times
I couldn't agree more.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,022,200 times
I totally agree. INTENSITY IS THE FIRE WHERE GREAT RESULTS ARE FORGED.

For years Ive been saying how intensity is key. There is a reason why my favorite workouts have the word intensity in their title - "High Intensity Interval Training" and "High Intensity Training". CrossFit is super intense as well as blasting away for several rounds on the heavy bag.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 AM

I need a heavy bag.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:45 AM

308 posts, read 601,668 times
Agreed!! Push your self the MAX heart-rate or when you are about to choke or drop. That is when you did the X-Factor!! Get-r-Done!!

Old 11-22-2010, 11:53 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,022,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
I need a heavy bag.
Its one of my favorite pieces of exercise equipment. I had a 100 pound Everlast Nevatear bag which was great, but I gave it to my wing chun sifu and got myself a 250 pound softer thai type bag that I love.

You can find some good deals on Craigslist on bags.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Its one of my favorite pieces of exercise equipment. I had a 100 pound Everlast Nevatear bag which was great, but I gave it to my wing chun sifu and got myself a 250 pound softer thai type bag that I love.

You can find some good deals on Craigslist on bags.
Yeah CL has a ton of good stuff.

I'm not sure where I'd put a heavy bag. My basement ceilings are too low. The weather sucks right now to hang it outside.

If I find one I might get it and rig something. LOL

Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXyuwAkf3r8

Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,047,549 times
As great as intensity feels it can be your worst enemy in terms of building muscle. There are times where it's needed and necessary and there are other times where it should be used sparingly. You have to be in touch with your body. You can't expect to go 100% all the time each workout. You'll end up overtraining. Atleast if you are talking about intensity as it pertains to lifting weights and working anaerobically. Sets, reps, frequency, duration, intensity, etc. are all factors that need to be manipulated differently to see continued results. In the end though it doesn't matter how intense you are.........if you're not getting stronger you will not get bigger.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
As great as intensity feels it can be your worst enemy in terms of building muscle. There are times where it's needed and necessary and there are other times where it should be used sparingly. You have to be in touch with your body. You can't expect to go 100% all the time each workout. You'll end up overtraining. Atleast if you are talking about intensity as it pertains to lifting weights and working anaerobically. Sets, reps, frequency, duration, intensity, etc. are all factors that need to be manipulated differently to see continued results. In the end though it doesn't matter how intense you are.........if you're not getting stronger you will not get bigger.
I used to think this way too.

Now I think that if you aren't ready to go 100%, its better to rest another day until you are ready.

Increased intensity and increased rest time between workouts are what i'm all about these days.

Doing a light workout seems like it's almost never a good idea. If you aren't ready to go all out, just rest until you are.

Don't jump down my throat. It's JUST MY OPINION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness