Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:34 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times

Advertisements

hi, im thinking of moving to berlin next year how is it? i really dont care about the areas as i have lived in a 3rd world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:08 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,275 times
Well i seriously doubt Berlin is anything resembling a Third World Country. There are plenty of websites about Germany as a whole and I am sure you can find some dealing directly with Berlin. I have never been there myself but I have entertained the thought of moving to Germany and looked into it quite extensively. I would also suggest going to either a book store directly or online, there is some excellent reading/reference material out there. Here are a few suggestions:

* LIVE AND WORK IN GERMANY by Ian Collier
* GERMAN SURVIVAL GUIDE by Elizabeth Bingham
* IN THE KNOW IN GERMANY by Living Language

One thing I can tell you for sure is that although many Germans can speak some English they certainly prefer, as with most foreign countries, that you know at some key phrases and words of German. Try to learn the language as best as possible. Also don't expect things to go as smoothly (getting phone hooked up, driver's license, and any other "paperwork" stuff) as it does here. Even the Germans complain about the beuracracy (sp?) in Germany. Good luck with your move but certainly learn more about the customs there. They are very different than ours and it is bound to be a bit of a culture shock. Another thing to keep in kind is that you will come across friendly Germans, ones who have no patience for "non Germans", and what you mind consider standoffish Germans. It is not that they are standoffish but Germans are generally very reserved as a people.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Are you from the EU? Because you can't just pick up and move there! There's a good deal of visa paperwork you need.

Personally, I don't care for Berlin. Very skeevy.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:54 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times
I've been to Berlin countless times. It's one of the greatest cities in the world. But it's also very different from the rest of Germany. Living costs are obscene. Good luck getting a well-paying, legit. job.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:56 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Are you from the EU? Because you can't just pick up and move there! There's a good deal of visa paperwork you need.

Personally, I don't care for Berlin. Very skeevy.
Skeevy?! Where have you been? Berlin is a great place to be, check it out on Berlin Tourist Information - Welcome to Berlin's Tourism Organisation! (http://www.visitberlin.de/index.en.php? - broken link)

I agree with the visa part Viralmd mentioned, although I think you might have sorted all that already?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
I remember a s being grey, cold, and if you were short haired like me as a soldier , you were transparent, a kind of Untermensch.
But the surroundings are very pleasant in summer, with many forests,lakes, rivers and canals.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
I live in Berlin. "Skeevy?" Do explain. I don't really understand the short hair thing either...Berliners don't pay much attention to anybody on the street, doesn't matter what they look like.

It is an extremely popular city for young people and creative types from the US and all over Europe (among other places). Very inexpensive to live with all the amenities one expects from a large capital city. It has changed A LOT since the Wall fell and every year the landscape changes a bit more.

I actually did just pick up and move here, seven years ago. I came on a tourist visa, applied for a job at an American firm and they sponsored my work permit. There is some luck involved though and the unemployment rate is high. Wages are not great compared to southern Germany but again, you don't need much to live on.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:12 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
I don't really understand the short hair thing either

Okay, that was back in 1977, the city was divided then, it's History now,I found it a very hard place , Cold War et al (the ****ing Wall, and East Berlin, what can I say...frightening, although there was surprisingly a nice, ultramodern emporium on Alexanderplatz). I came back in 1995, and it was way, way, better .
But I find winter in Berlin is harsh.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:07 AM

8 posts, read 27,186 times
I think Berlin is wonderful D
People there are very nice. I want to move there too...

Old 10-17-2008, 10:30 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,445 times
Racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe