Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2022, 04:40 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
The Eastern European cuisine Americans are most familiar with - even if they don’t recognize it as such - is Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine.
That's hard to miss. The same stuffed cabbage rolls, etc. But it's now become thoroughly Russified, or Romanified, or Polonified.

Maybe instead of a Russian cookbook, I should get a Jewish cookbook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 04:41 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Why wouldn’t they be? They have been there since who knows when.
What the OP means, I think, is that they're not indigenous to Eastern Europe. They didn't originate there. That is....unless you believe the Khazar theory...

Old 01-14-2022, 04:53 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
The Eastern European cuisine Americans are most familiar with - even if they don’t recognize it as such - is Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine.
That also depends on the location! My city is about 0.5% Jewish, so Jewish food is not on most people's radar. I've had bagels of course, if those count...

This is obviously very unlike, say, New York City where I understand Jewish cuisine is extremely popular.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:02 PM

3,465 posts, read 2,796,509 times
Let’s not forget that potatoes - a staple of Eastern European cuisine - are native to the Americas. That makes me wonder what starches were available before potatoes.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:39 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Let’s not forget that potatoes - a staple of Eastern European cuisine - are native to the Americas. That makes me wonder what starches were available before potatoes.
They ate a lot of grains like rye and barley.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:51 PM

7,369 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:
Not true. There is too much pork and meat/dairy dishes for it be Jewish.

It's like the silliness that pizza is Israeli or all noodles came from China.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:57 PM

7,369 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That also depends on the location! My city is about 0.5% Jewish, so Jewish food is not on most people's radar. I've had bagels of course, if those count...

This is obviously very unlike, say, New York City where I understand Jewish cuisine is extremely popular.
There are a few Jewish restaurants in NYC. Other than that, it's mainly bagels and deli's like Katz, Zabar's and Russ & Daughters.

Jewish bakeries are very similar to German ones. In Yorktown NY, there is a Hungarian bakery which makes Jewish breads and cookies.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:05 PM

1,348 posts, read 626,766 times
Quote:
Before the appearance of potatoes in Russia, turnips were its substitute.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:10 PM

6,814 posts, read 4,257,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Not true. There is too much pork and meat/dairy dishes for it be Jewish.

It's like the silliness that pizza is Israeli or all noodles came from China.

That is a good point. One of the weirdest things to me is how Americans think hot dogs should be made from beef when everyone knows a good frankfurter or wiener needs to be primarily made from pork. No wonder a lot of people here think a hot dog is something you only have as a child or at a ball game. They've never had proper ones.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:15 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,054,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've always thought of that as Russian. I guess it is common to several countries/regions in the area; anyway it is not specifically Ukrainian any more even though Google says it may have originated there.

Borscht is made from beets, not cabbage.
Russian borscht is AWFUL. The only borscht worth eating is Ukrainian. If you want to "modify" it, start with Ukrainian borscht. I married into a mixed marriage and my "American" wife used chicken. The base is so good, that it worked with chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You could substitute pheasant. You can get pheasant at Whole Foods and specialty meat stores. If WF doesn't have it in stock, they'll order it for you. They may currently have it on sale, whatever's left over from their holiday stock.
Wait, I just spent 1500 dollars for a hunting dog just so I could eat pheasant and now you tell me that I can buy it WHOLE FOODS!!! What ever happened to the wild game laws that prohibited selling of wild animals at grocery stores??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's funny that we say Latin American cuisine when really it's 99.9% Mexican cuisine and usually an American-influenced version of it that is eaten in the U.S. It's not impossible to find food from say El Salvador or Venezuela especially in the neighborhoods where there's many immigrants from those places, but they have about as much of an impact on American eating in general as the more obscure European cuisines.

In my city, Mexican restaurants are really common, but we have a Ukrainian and Venezuelan restaurants.

I however, still miss the Hawaiin restaurant. That is good food.

I also think it's funny that French keeps getting mentioned when I'd argue that well over 90% of the population does not eat at French restaurants................

French FOOD was AWFUL in the mid-1970's. AWFUL, and their wine was not much better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

I did buy a bottle of French wine about five years ago and was surprised to fine it drinkable. They might catch up to California in twenty years and who knows in forty years, might be as good as Walla Walla wines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe