Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the Black Sea Coast gotten worse in the past few years ?
Yes 2 40.00%
No 3 60.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 05:59 PM

297 posts, read 177,334 times

Advertisements

It was mentioned on another thread that is has , which is why I'm curious to read some other/more in depth opinions ...

IMHO I wouldn't say so based upon what I saw when I last went there , which admittedly was roughly four years ago .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 12:10 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times
Yes.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Yes.

Would you care to elaborate on the whys and hows of the issue ?

I'm genuinely intrigued which is why I'm asking .

Old 04-27-2020, 02:02 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,526,584 times
It all depends, what and where, since Black Sea Coast is shared by quite a few countries.

If you look at Georgia side of it - then the answer is yes, it declined, because Georgia is dependent on tourism, and it's nowhere what it should be.

( When Russians started to come back to spend their money there, Americans stepped in and *advised* Georgians to not to be "dependent on Russian money." Where these money should come from instead - they've never explained. So Georgia is poor - alas.

When it comes to Abkhasia ( that used to be part of Georgia) and THEIR portion of the Black Sea coast - I am on the fence here, but I would still say that it's in decline, since Russians are already too spoiled by "everything included" hotels in Turkey.

Russian portion of Black Sea is doing very well, so does Crimea, but Ukraine is a country in financial ruin, as much as Americans are trying to build there their military base and what not.

Bulgaria, Romania - ask them, how they ( and their sea coasts) are doing, and comparably to what times.
Turkey? Not sure about that one, as much as Greece.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post
Would you care to elaborate on the whys and hows of the issue ?

I'm genuinely intrigued which is why I'm asking .

Well sure, a "short history" of the region at least from the European side of it (romania/bulgaria): Before 1989 I know from my parents it has been called "red riviera" and 99% visited by Russians and Ukrainians only, since 1989 it was good in the late 90s, only visited by some German families from East Germany with kids and nothing else - no drunk teens, thirsty arabs hitting on girls, no drunk red britts etc - then these same people somehow discovered it in the early 2000s. Now they're gone too and the only remains are gipsies, russians, ukrainians, serbs...

The prices are higher than Portugal, customer service sucks and there isn't much to do anyway. Also the covid, and the refugee crysis basically destroyed it.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:23 PM

Here; Bulgarian coast through the eyes of the Russian tourists back in 1977

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

and in 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18vFbRvZ0i0

(The latter scene looks far more commercialized and expensive, out of reach for many I'm sure, and thus less crowded I assume.)

Is it worth it? I have no idea, you be the judges.)

Old 04-27-2020, 02:32 PM

^ both clips are heavily biased for commercial purposes, it's not like we're comparing amateur footage from today vs the 70s and in the 70s personal cams weren't a thing so it's impossible.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:37 PM

In other words, this is what it looks like these days...gloomy and with no people and old buildings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmhEbcAu4So

Old 04-27-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It all depends, what and where, since Black Sea Coast is shared by quite a few countries.

If you look at Georgia side of it - then the answer is yes, it declined, because Georgia is dependent on tourism, and it's nowhere what it should be.

( When Russians started to come back to spend their money there, Americans stepped in and *advised* Georgians to not to be "dependent on Russian money." Where these money should come from instead - they've never explained. So Georgia is poor - alas.

When it comes to Abkhasia ( that used to be part of Georgia) and THEIR portion of the Black Sea coast - I am on the fence here, but I would still say that it's in decline, since Russians are already too spoiled by "everything included" hotels in Turkey.

Russian portion of Black Sea is doing very well, so does Crimea, but Ukraine is a country in financial ruin, as much as Americans are trying to build there their military base and what not.

Bulgaria, Romania - ask them, how they ( and their sea coasts) are doing, and comparably to what times.
Turkey? Not sure about that one, as much as Greece.

I'm only familiar with the Romanian/Bulgarian portions and last time I was there ( circa 2016 ) both sections seemed to be thriving or at least very much looked to be doing more than okay ...

What you write regarding Georgia is interesting and strange at the same time ...

FWIW are Russian tourists simply shaking off trips to Georgia due to the political situation between their governments ? Or has the Georgian government made it harder for Russians to visit the country due to American pressure ?

Old 04-27-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post
I'm only familiar with the Romanian/Bulgarian portions and last time I was there ( circa 2016 ) both sections seemed to be thriving or at least very much looked to be doing more than okay ...

What you write regarding Georgia is interesting and strange at the same time ...

FWIW are Russian tourists simply shaking off trips to Georgia due to the political situation between their governments ? Or has the Georgian government made it harder for Russians to visit the country due to American pressure ?

These events took place about a year ago, ( we discussed it on Russian thread, so I had to refresh my memory, what happened exactly.)

OK, so over a million of Russian tourists were visiting Georgia every summer ( for the sake of old memories,) for the last few years by that moment, and it happened to be so, that there was some kind of religious Orthodox convention taking place in Georgian Capital Tbilissi. And the head of that convention was a Russian (he had a Georgian grand-father from what I remember.)
The convention was taking place in Georgian parliament, and this Russian has been pointed a place where to sit, which happened to be a place of a speaker of Georgian parliament.
That event was televised from what I remember, and the country erupted in the anti-Russian riots from that point on, with Russians ( that particular man including) threatened with their lives.

As it turned out, these riots were not all that *spontaneous* at all, since certain American diplomat visited Tbilissi shortly before these riots. With a *message, * as you can read it here.

After that Putin of course restricted the flights between Russia and Georgia ( and even if he wouldn't have, practically ALL Russians that booked their trips to Georgia last summer changed their plans on their own accord, looking at all these riots taking place in Georgia.)
They wished Georgians luck to greet the tourists "from Europe or US," and took their money elsewhere.

I assume that Georgians are still expecting their "US customers" this summer, since the only people that express interest in their country, seem to be Turks and Arabs.
The "Westerners" are not in a rush to replace the Russians as much as they hoped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe