Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 04:12 PM

37 posts, read 81,991 times

Advertisements

It seems like Italians dont think people from the southern part of the country should be considered "Italian" because North Italians are whiter and mostly light blond with blue eyes and pale skin and they're richer and speak more "proper Italian" and they're the standard for Italians while south Italians are mediterranean, poorer and speak a non proper version of Italian and therefore are like aliens to Italy and are discriminated against by Italians. I remember reading about a soccer game when it was between 2 teams, one from the north and one from the south and the northern Italian fans help up signs saying "Welcome to Italy" as if south Italians were from another country. Is this really true and are the reasons why i said accurate of why they feel this way?

Last edited by cvbn4; 03-22-2018 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 04:15 PM

9,356 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbn4 View Post
It seems like Italians dont think people from the southern part of the country should be considered "Italian" because North Italians are whiter and mostly light blond with blue eyes and pale skin and they're richer and speak more "proper Italian" and they're the standard for Italians while south Italians are mediterranean, poorer and speak a non proper version of Italian and therefore are like aliens to Italy. I remember reading about a soccer game when it was between 2 teams, one from the north and one from the south and the northern Italian fans help up signs saying "Welcome to Italy" as if south Italians were from another country. Is this really true and are the reasons why i said accurate of why they feel this way?
That political football has been deflated.

How old are you?

Old 03-22-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
That political football has been deflated.

How old are you?
What do you mean? You didnt answer the question

Old 03-22-2018, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,378 times
You'll find that more non-italians try to separate Italians than actual Italians. I often see Americans for example talking about how the North hates the South. You see a lot of those nordicist online trying to portray Italy that way as well to further their own agenda. This whole "whiter" nonsense is entirely Anglo invented, not Italian and traces back to their scientific racism of the past and obsession with whiteness that never existed in the latin world. The whole of Italy is mediterranean, there is no germanic vs mediterranean. This was debunked long ago with genetics. Northern Italians do not overlap with any North European group only other South Europeans like the Iberians.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly23 View Post
You'll find that more non-italians try to separate Italians than actual Italians. I often see Americans for example talking about how the North hates the South. You see a lot of those nordicist online trying to portray Italy that way as well to further their own agenda. This whole "whiter" nonsense is entirely Anglo invented, not Italian and traces back to their scientific racism of the past and obsession with whiteness that never existed in the latin world. The whole of Italy is mediterranean, there is no germanic vs mediterranean. This was debunked long ago with genetics. Northern Italians do not overlap with any North European group only other South Europeans like the Iberians.
I havent noticed that. It actually seems like Italians themselves (not Americans) are the ones that usually go into a discussion whether it be on a video on youtube or a message board somewhere just to comment about how vastly different the north and its people are from the south even when the video or thread has nothing to do with anything like that. As long as Italians are the subject they can get a chance to inject their opinion. Non Italians probably got it from them
And mentioning the "welcome to Italy" thing again at the game towards south Italians, this was thousands of people involved not just one person holding a sign so it can't be an isolated opinion.

Most of Italy isnt mediterranean in any way. The majority of people live in the northern half of the country where its not mediterranean at all. Also the majority of immigrants coming to Italy also go to the north so i doubt their impression of Italy would be "mediterranean". Most Italians also have light blond hair and blue eyes, not very mediterranean. If Italy was meditteranean it wouldn't have a huge region named after people originally from Sweden and most Italians wouldnt look so northern European as they do. I think your looking at the genetics wrong if you think that because both Italians and Iberians have r1b that they're related

Old 03-22-2018, 06:06 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly23 View Post
What about the fair haired blue eyes Italians?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:10 AM

3 posts, read 8,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbn4 View Post
Most of Italy isnt mediterranean in any way. The majority of people live in the northern half of the country where its not mediterranean at all. Also the majority of immigrants coming to Italy also go to the north so i doubt their impression of Italy would be "mediterranean". Most Italians also have light blond hair and blue eyes, not very mediterranean. If Italy was meditteranean it wouldn't have a huge region named after people originally from Sweden and most Italians wouldnt look so northern European as they do. I think your looking at the genetics wrong if you think that because both Italians and Iberians have r1b that they're related
Yes Italy is 100% Mediterranean from north to south, most Italians have a "dark appareance" when compared to Germanic or nordic countries. They're very southern Europeans, it's not a big difference between the north and the south, the north has more blondes, ok, but it's still very common to see people with olive skin and they're natives from that area.

Also the cities, towns, etc 95% look Italian therewise Mediterranean. The typical Italian town is very similar to the typical Spanish or Greek town, no matter how hard you try to push, Italy is Mediterranean, albeit you want to make it look like an aryan country for your political ideology I see. You claim in every post you write that Italy is "Germanic" which is a tremendous shilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
What about the fair haired blue eyes Italians?
The overwhelming majority of Italians are not fair haired and blue eyed. Here in Belgium there are lots of Italian immigrants and most have black or dark brown hair. What supremacists call "fake Italians" are in fact most of Italy. I had a quick lookup at this cvbn guy profile and he is one of them, sad. "Most Italians also have light blond hair and blue eyes, not very mediterranean." he said, but reality proves wrong.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogbel View Post
Yes Italy is 100% Mediterranean from north to south, most Italians have a "dark appareance" when compared to Germanic or nordic countries. They're very southern Europeans, it's not a big difference between the north and the south, the north has more blondes, ok, but it's still very common to see people with olive skin and they're natives from that area.

Also the cities, towns, etc 95% look Italian therewise Mediterranean. The typical Italian town is very similar to the typical Spanish or Greek town, no matter how hard you try to push, Italy is Mediterranean, albeit you want to make it look like an aryan country for your political ideology I see. You claim in every post you write that Italy is "Germanic" which is a tremendous shilling.

The overwhelming majority of Italians are not fair haired and blue eyed. Here in Belgium there are lots of Italian immigrants and most have black or dark brown hair. What supremacists call "fake Italians" are in fact most of Italy. I had a quick lookup at this cvbn guy profile and he is one of them, sad. "Most Italians also have light blond hair and blue eyes, not very mediterranean." he said, but reality proves wrong.
Thats your subjective personal opinion(for whatever reason) but in reality its not true. Its actually a stereotype that if you ask someone what do Italians look like they will typically say in the north they're usually blond and look German and in the south they look more Greek/mediterranean (clearly because they're not really Italian or else they wouldnt be so different and like the topic of this thread says they're frequently not even considered Italian by Italians themselves). If this is so far from the truth like you imply then how could it become a stereotype. As for the country itself, the weather, buildings, culture and whatever looking mediterranean, like i said before the majority of the population lives in the north in cities like Milan where theres nothing mediterranean about it unless you consider being cloudy, covered in fog and cold most of the year mediterranean. Its not really any different from London. All of the mediterranean aspects of Italy that you think are Italian really come from Greeks and other mediterraneans

Last edited by cvbn4; 03-23-2018 at 01:18 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 01:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
I grew up in a small town in western NY state in the forties and fifties. The town had a large minority of Italian immigrants from Sicily. People in the country seat fifteen miles away, who of were of mainland Italian origin would often correct you if we referred to our friends and neighbors as "Italians."

"Oh, no. They're Sicilians," was their response.

The Sicilians in our town had a variety of complexions even though they had not married outside their own group. And no one ever made remarks referring to them as not being white.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I grew up in a small town in western NY state in the forties and fifties. The town had a large minority of Italian immigrants from Sicily. People in the country seat fifteen miles away, who of were of mainland Italian origin would often correct you if we referred to our friends and neighbors as "Italians."

"Oh, no. They're Sicilians," was their response.

The Sicilians in our town had a variety of complexions even though they had not married outside their own group. And no one ever made remarks referring to them as not being white.
Saying "they're not Italian, they're Sicilian" is basically them saying they arent white by implying they arent like them(Italians) which they know is white. They just didnt say it directly. They're not really wrong though. Sicilians are much more Greek(mediterranean) than Italian. Thats why they're so different and not considered real Italians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe