Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:31 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,817,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
I went to naples once. They don't know sh*t about pizza! all italians should be forced to try out chicago's finest
If i could i'd ban you , that thing they do in Chicago isn't pizza, call it pie or whatever you want, but please don't call that pizza! It may even be the best tasting thing in the world (It's got nothing on the real thing but that's only my opinion), but it's not a pizza!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:35 AM

You probably ate focaccia, which is actually avalaible throughout Italy, although there's variations between each region. In my opinion the best are found in Bari and Genoa, which are reknown for their focacce.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focaccia

Old 02-16-2015, 01:07 PM

546 posts, read 547,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't think white pizza is Neapolitan. Neapolitan pizza has a strict list of ingredients, and white pizza wouldn't fit the criteria.

I don't think I've ever seen white pizza in Naples anyways (been there three times), while it seems to be in every other pizzeria in NYC. Are you sure it's even true Italian pizza?

Weird thing I find about pizza in Italy- Naples has great pizza, but honestly, the average pizza outside of Campania is worse than the average pizza in NYC, Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires. I think the immigrant communities in New World cities have better iterations of pizza than in 90% of Italy.
I appreciate your comments. I found that yes, in order for a pizza to be Neapolitan it has to follw a certain ingredient criteria. I'm not saying that the pizza I enjoyed in Naples was considered Neapolitan. It may have just been an item on their menu that was a white pizza. I was stationed in NYC for a short time, and I'm from Pennsylvania. I'm very familiar with pizza from the east coast, and yes it is good, but this pizza I ate in Naples was not a standard tomato paste pizza.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Thanks for all of your replies! I did find the restaurant that I visited those times when I was there in Naples. It seems to have been redecorated a bit from what I remember, but the street view is what I remember the most, along with the brick oven on the second floor. The pizza I ate may have been a variety made in a manner similar to the way foccasia is topped, but the crust was not as thick; it was like a normal pizza thickness.

Here's the website of the place I visited in 1972. I hope to go back soon and see if they still serve that pizza I enjoyed.

Pizzeria Trianon da Ciro - Pizza Napoletana Verace - Napoli

Seeing these 360 degree panoramic pictures brought back old memories!

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8501...1!1e1?hl=en-US

Old 02-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
Thanks for all of your replies! I did find the restaurant that I visited those times when I was there in Naples. It seems to have been redecorated a bit from what I remember, but the street view is what I remember the most, along with the brick oven on the second floor. The pizza I ate may have been a variety made in a manner similar to the way foccasia is topped, but the crust was not as thick; it was like a normal pizza thickness.

Here's the website of the place I visited in 1972. I hope to go back soon and see if they still serve that pizza I enjoyed.

Pizzeria Trianon da Ciro - Pizza Napoletana Verace - Napoli

Seeing these 360 degree panoramic pictures brought back old memories!

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8501...1!1e1?hl=en-US
Go back! Trianon da Ciro is still known today for making one of the best pizzas in Napoli, i'd also advice you to go to Sorbillo (It's found on Spaccanapoli) and Starita. Also, Napoli hasn't hanged much in all these years.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Go back! Trianon da Ciro is still known today for making one of the best pizzas in Napoli, i'd also advice you to go to Sorbillo (It's found on Spaccanapoli) and Starita. Also, Napoli hasn't hanged much in all these years.
Thanks for the tip improb! I've marked Sorbillo on my favorites. It was interesting that they had 480 photos on the web page, and a couple of them looked like the white pizza I am looking for. I'm looking forward to taking my family back to Naples as soon as possible!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,580 times
Trumpet

In many pizza places, at least around here, among the many varieties of pizzas is the "focaccia". Originally, it might have been a bread, etc, but that was originally since now there are hundreds of different pizzas.

Many pizza places serve some sort of focaccia as appetizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe