Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 02:43 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraLub View Post
Erasure, thank you for your answer! I aware about those things you’re talking about (pathos, propaganda, etc), but let me narrow this subject to just educational purpose.

Yes, there are few alive witnesses of this war. Maybe that’s why it’s getting even more important to remind our children about the nightmare of it.

So it’s just dry facts and dates in America (flattering for them)? Nothing emotional and moral (for instance, that people at some point can go mad and start thinking that some of them are better and the ‘worse’ ones can be killed and put in concentration camps)??
I think that kind of information (in right doses) can only create healthy attitude in any society and work as a vaccine.
That's not quite accurate. The war is covered more than just some facts and dates. I recall a lot of time was devoted to the holocaust and the general dangers of nationalism. The soviet victory on the eastern front after a year of defeat was covered. I went to a better than average American school though. Also, we learned a lot about other important wars in our history, such as Civil, Revolutionary and the 1st world war. Vietnam and its lessons is covered as well.

Americans created movies to capture the war in a way you can experience in much greater detail than stories from grandpa or pictures/words from a book. High level productions that are realistic, such as Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Schindler's List and many more. We watched some of these in school even. Not all of the movies are about America, for example Stalingrad and Dunkirk (not an American produced film). These teach people about the horrors of that war better than Putin parades. Russian war movies seem to ignore the allied contribution and many attack the idea that the allies fought the war much at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 05:14 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Let me start from a bit afar)

I was a child when there was Yeltsin. I don’t remember much, but I definitely remember my cheeks burning with shame when I saw him drunk dancing. So my first loyalty towards Putin was based on simple things- he didn’t do boogie-woogie and he could speak)

Later I paid more attention to other things as well. I can say, that mostly I agreed with his politics. But this year I didn’t vote at all for the first time. I feel like I need some time to figure out my views. I just read, think, surf forums and try to be open-minded. I can admit that aggressive and arrogant criticism from the west only works for Putin and makes Russians defend him. But if there is some silence, it’s when the questions and doubts arise.

So, back to you asking what I think should be done.
What do effective businessmen do when their businesses are falling apart? They fire pointless people (even if they’re friends and drinking buddies) and hire professionals. That may cause conflicts, bad feelings and adaptation to strangers. But, nevertheless, they do that. So I wish our president started thinking like one of them and conquered his fear of having nearby people who is effective, respected and potentially popular.
I think Putin has good people surrounding him and I also think Medvedev is either a shirker or does not have good people around him. From what I understand he is responsible for the goings on in the country and does not appear to be doing a lot of things correctly because some spheres are not progressing.

In your lifetime what have you seen change?

Old 05-09-2018, 05:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
watched the parade. Russian military equipment is a scrap metal. design at a low level. backward country.
Lol, as if you would ever say anything positive about Russia anyway.

That scrap metal appears to be enough to justify 100's of billions of dollars in US defense spending (they have to present a budget justification to Congress every year, justifying why the money is being spent, Russia accounts for most of it).

Old 05-09-2018, 06:30 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, as if you would ever say anything positive about Russia anyway.

That scrap metal appears to be enough to justify 100's of billions of dollars in US defense spending (they have to present a budget justification to Congress every year, justifying why the money is being spent, Russia accounts for most of it).
Yeah that's why our main overseas bases are in Qatar, Japan, Korea and Germany. Because Russia...

Old 05-09-2018, 06:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Yeah that's why our main overseas bases are in Qatar, Japan, Korea and Germany. Because Russia...
Not only those, which of course play dual purpose, but others like in turkey and basically any Cold War base. Also, programs like the F-35 and nuclear triad, along with joint exercises and rotating European deployments.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:33 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Erasure, thank you for your answer! I aware about those things you’re talking about (pathos, propaganda, etc), but let me narrow this subject to just educational purpose.

Yes, there are few alive witnesses of this war. Maybe that’s why it’s getting even more important to remind our children about the nightmare of it.
In all honesty, I think that because Russians ( as a nation) feel themselves as a target of Western aggression yet again, this sentiment is running high. It's running high on subconscious level, ( it's not even about the WWII so much,) and the government uses the whole situation shrewdly, to its own advantage.

Quote:
So it’s just dry facts and dates in America (flattering for them)? Nothing emotional and moral (for instance, that people at some point can go mad and start thinking that some of them are better and the ‘worse’ ones can be killed and put in concentration camps)??
In America they are talking about the Holocaust in this sense ( the horrors and morals of it,) but they practically never make a connection in their minds that Russians as well were targeted for extermination as a "race." They are simply not aware of it, for the most part.

Quote:
I think that kind of information (in right doses) can only create healthy attitude in any society and work as a vaccine.
The way I see it, the WWII ( and its consequences) WAS that "vaccine."
I see 0 chances of the WWIII ( or ANY global war) arise on a basis of a racial theory, even though the UNDERLYING reasons might be still the same - who stays on whose way for the world domination.

Last edited by erasure; 05-09-2018 at 08:57 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 12:20 AM

13 posts, read 7,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
watched the parade. Russian military equipment is a scrap metal. design at a low level. backward country.
lol. this a scrap metal from USSR eleminated 80% usa missiles in Syria.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel_Redneck View Post
lol. this a scrap metal from USSR eleminated 80% usa missiles in Syria.
And just last night another 50 to 60% of missile fired in the israeli attack on Iranian assets in Syria. Damage reports are not out yet but American taxpayers will yet again bend over for Israel. You know Israelis don't pay for this.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:49 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
ISIS leaders surrendered to US forces

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...smartphone-app

It was just several days ago that the news appeared of a team of Russian, Syrian, and Iranian forces closing in on them near the border with Iraq.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:58 AM

They surrendered to America because they know they'll find employment and a future, dubious as it may be as a pawn . In the other direction they'd only find justice.

It's nothing to be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe