Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 08:16 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Thanx for posting those videos Erasure. That was an AWESOME idea. I would have loved to have been there.
I thought it was worth attention.
What's not to like there?
Russian musicians sound as great as ever ( the soloist ( violin)) is the winner of Tchaikovsky competition, the stage is set in the ancient city, now freed from Islamic barbarians (the TV anchors make a quick review of the situation, about the destruction, the mass executions in the city, including the brutal beheading of the keeper of Palmyra treasuries, Khaled al-Assad, whose memory Russians give tribute during the event. It raises the prestige of the Russian Army and - yes, of Putin's personally.
In fact, for the first time I hear the talk on FB, that the days when Russian youngsters ( and their parents) were trying to dodge the draft are over. It becomes more and more prestigious to serve in the army, so some of the draftees were actually turned away this year.
And for those who are quick to say - "oh, it's all Putins' propaganda," I'd ask where was the US-led coalition, when ancient world-class treasuries have been destroyed, and who came to the rescue of this little girls ( Syrian women in general) and allowed them to walk free on the streets, as they used to, during Assad's "bloody regime?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvUkeR4jKCE

Last edited by erasure; 05-07-2016 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 06:18 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Default Russia and Eastern Mediterranean Christians

Does Mr. Putin and the Russian ruling class have any interest in helping, politically exploiting, offering asylum to, or in any way special interaction with Eastern Mediterranean/Mesopotamian Christians?

How many are actually left after the Saudi//ISIS genocide, with western power acquiescence, of these people over the past several years?

Possibly in this connection, I noticed this link in another thread: Home sweet home? Putin offering disillusioned Britons FREE LAND to resettle in Russia

Is this serious, or some British tabloid stuff? Do these far eastern regions of Russia have convenient access to the internet, fuel, heat, good roads, and imported (Mediterranean) food and high tech consumer goods? What about schools/adult education centers to help foreigners learn Russian?

A passage in the article makes it sound quite bleak and rugged, but also naturally beautiful.

Thank you.

Last edited by bale002; 05-08-2016 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 09:15 AM

291 posts, read 277,191 times
Russia doesn't have a people shortage. If they can't even get Russians to move to Kamchatka Krai it must be pretty bad.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:51 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Russia doesn't have a people shortage. If they can't even get Russians to move to Kamchatka Krai it must be pretty bad.
It only means the Kamchatka area is bad. It's still the biggest coutnry on earth with lots of useless areas it seems.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:05 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold;
Russia doesn't have a people shortage. If they can't even get Russians to move to Kamchatka Krai it must be pretty bad
Russia's having a population decline worse than Western Europe's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
It only means the Kamchatka area is bad. It's still the biggest coutnry on earth with lots of useless areas it seems.
Is Russia trying to move people to Kamchatka? If so, why? What about Kamchatka is "bad" (besides the roads, haha)? Kamchatka is gorgeous! If it's good enough for the Icelanders who spend many months/year there, it can't be "bad". Kamchatka's weather is similar to Seattle/British Columbia/SE Alaska. If you want "bad", go to Yakutia.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:11 PM

Supposedly Russia has something like the "homestead act" to get people to move to places in the Russian Far East. Kamchatka looks cool to me, but I grew up in the middle of nowhere and enjoy rugged environments. However I wouldn't want to live there. I don't think many people want to live in a place like Alaska but with worse infrastructure, even if they get free land.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Supposedly Russia has something like the "homestead act" to get people to move to places in the Russian Far East. Kamchatka looks cool to me, but I grew up in the middle of nowhere and enjoy rugged environments. However I wouldn't want to live there. I don't think many people want to live in a place like Alaska but with worse infrastructure, even if they get free land.
Homesteading? o.0 What are they supposed to do, raise reindeer? People usually move to the city, Petro-Pavlovsk Kamchatskii. I suppose the soil would be rich, due to past volcanic activity. Are they trying to get people to move there to farm? I haven't heard anything about this. Just because a homestead act is on the books doesn't mean it's an active government program. Is this a thing?

Old 05-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Homesteading? o.0 What are they supposed to do, raise reindeer? People usually move to the city, Petro-Pavlovsk Kamchatskii. I suppose the soil would be rich, due to past volcanic activity. Are they trying to get people to move there to farm? I haven't heard anything about this. Just because a homestead act is on the books doesn't mean it's an active government program. Is this a thing?
Indeed, that is what they are supposed to do according to the article linked above. Supposedly new act, started in 2015.

“anyone who is willing to come and live in the region so that they could start a private business in farming, forestry, game hunting or some other enterprise.”
- Yury Trutnev, the presidential envoy to the Far East Federal District

Old 05-08-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Indeed, that is what they are supposed to do according to the article linked above. Supposedly new act, started in 2015.

“anyone who is willing to come and live in the region so that they could start a private business in farming, forestry, game hunting or some other enterprise.” - Yury Trutnev, the presidential envoy to the Far East Federal District
The Far East is a big place; it's much more than Kamchatka. The fact is, quite a few private farms were started in the 90's, in the Amur River area of the RFE. A lot of small private businesses sprang up, too, but the tax burden crushed them in the 90's. It's too bad, too; there was a wonderful florescence of traditional art and craft, among other things.

That seems odd, to create a law encouraging people to go into underdeveloped areas, but without providing the infrastructure they need to be successful. There was some basic infrastructure improvement in the early 2000's, but much remains to be done.

You know who's taking advantage of vast tracts of unused land in marginal areas? China. They're leasing huge swaths of land in central Siberia and turning it into farmland. They're doing well, too. If the Chinese can do it, you'd think the Russians could.

Thanks for posting.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:26 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Russia's having a population decline worse than Western Europe's.

Is Russia trying to move people to Kamchatka? If so, why? What about Kamchatka is "bad" (besides the roads, haha)? Kamchatka is gorgeous! If it's good enough for the Icelanders who spend many months/year there, it can't be "bad". Kamchatka's weather is similar to Seattle/British Columbia/SE Alaska. If you want "bad", go to Yakutia.
From what I've gathered Putin is trying to attract more British £££ and hence is offering them free land that nobody wants. I'm guessing Russia can offer for free an area as big as Bulgaria because no one wants to live in this big area - which here happens to be Kamchatka: utterly freezing temperature, bad roads, distant from any meaningful place on earth(bar Japan), etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe