Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 03:00 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
You know what it costs to raise kids in America? Look it up. As for Russian women coming here I know some who have and I know some who scoff at the idea. I know some who went back and I know Russians families who went back. I also know Americans who live there and would have it no other way.

I myself entertain fantasies of a condo in Smolensk which I could afford to pay cash for at this moment. Never been to Pskov.
The problem with all these Ukrainians ( and "liberals" in general, Russian "liberals" including,) is that they slap these figures around ( like "average $ 60,000 income per year,) without looking for finer prints.
The kind of thoughts/ideas they project about the US, were true during Soviet times, even 30 years earlier, but A LOT has changed in the US since.
And a lot has changed in Russia too.

This is an example of "finer print" when it comes to the US;

1. The median household income in 2014 was $53,719, which means that half of American households make less than this amount, and half make more. Since the median is significantly below the average, it tells us that there are more households with below-average household income than above-average, and that the average is distorted by a small percentage of high-income households. And this median is based on total income, not AGI, which accounts for a few deductions, so the difference is even bigger than this implies. In fact, if you look at the percentile chart earlier, you'll notice that the median AGI lies somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000. If you've heard anyone complain about "income inequality," this huge difference between the average and the median shows that it's a real issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...come/93002252/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 03:21 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
"16.07" Are there any natives (aboriginals) in those districts?

ok my knowledge of Russia (including USSR) is quite limited. Anne Wiazemsky just passed away, and her father was of the Rurik family. When I searched the Ruriks, they were not real Russians but descendants of the Lithuanians/Swedes/Slavs.
>90% of people in the Far East are Russian.

I think it has to do with substance abuse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ubstance_abuse

Drug abuse (cases per 100,000 inhabitants) 2010
Ural Federal District: 32.92
Far Eastern Federal District: 23.05
Siberian Federal District: 22.16
Northwestern Federal District: 18.34
Russia: 17.43
North Caucasian Federal District: 15.23
Central Federal District: 14.35
Volga Federal District: 13.43
Southern Federal District: 12.55

Alcoholism (cases per 100,000 inhabitants) 2010
Far Eastern Federal District: 189.94
Ural Federal District: 126.09
Siberian Federal District: 124.36
Volga Federal District: 117.88
Russia: 107.69
Central Federal District: 99.74
North Western Federal District: 99.19
Southern Federal District: 83.39
North Caucasian Federal District: 43.58

Old 10-07-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Countries don’t have friends the same way people do, it’s all about business.
Right. That's why I was not the one talking about the "friendship."
I used the word "partnership" instead.

Quote:
The Shah was overthrown because there were a lot of problems with the economy and was replaced by something far worse under the pretext that free elections would come. Many Iranians were duped by Khomeni into thinking fair elections eould follow the revolution. Little did they know that the Ayatollah wanted to establish an Islamic state.
The Shah first came into power in 1941 when the British and Soviets overthrew his father during the war because he supported Germany. The Pahlavi dynasty came to power in 1925 when Reza Shah overthrew the Qajar dynasty, so in essence what you have is a never ending cycle. It’s silly to just take a random date and pretend that history started there.
I wonder sometimes - am I the only one whom google doesn't charge for using it - i.e. I can use the service for free, whenever and as much as I want?
Because these are the real reasons why Iranians have grief with the US ( and Great Britain as I've discovered)

"The 1953 Iranian coup d'état, known in Iran as the 28 Mordad coup d'état (Persian: کودتای ۲۸ مرداد‎‎), was the overthrow of the democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh in favour of strengthening the monarchical rule of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi on 19 August 1953, orchestrated by the United Kingdom (under the name "Operation Boot") and the United States (under the name TPAJAX Project[5] or "Operation Ajax").[6][7][8][9]

Mossadegh had sought to audit the documents of the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC), a British corporation (now part of BP) and to limit the company's control over Iranian petroleum reserves. Upon the refusal of the AIOC to co-operate with the Iranian government, the parliament (Majlis) voted to nationalize Iran's oil industry and to expel foreign corporate representatives from the country.[10][11][12]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_I..._d%27%C3%A9tat

This pretty much sums it all up. That's why Iranians didn't want the Shah to be there at the first place. They regarded him as a stooge of Anglo-Saxons, who replaced their democratically elected leader.

( Sorta similar story with post-Soviet Russia, wouldn't you agree? )

Quote:
At the end of the day, modern Iran is essentially Saudi Arabia’s doppelgänger. Both countries promote extremism, so supporting either one is not a good idea, and yes I believe that Iran is just as extreme as SA nowadays.
I am aware what Iran is all about vs Saudi Arabia ( hey, I have relatives living in Iran as I've discovered couple of years ago,) so yes, I know)))

Quote:
They can team up, but there is a lot of mistrust between the nations. Indians don’t get along well the Chinese despite it being their largest trading partner, thanks to political disputes along their border region.
As history showed us I'm sure on few occasions, some "mistrust and disagreements" can be set aside for a while, when the mutual interests outweigh them.

Quote:
That’s a relic from the past that has made it into the 21st century. It’s dumb and should be removed.
That's what you think ( and most likely some other people,) however it's not removed. Ever wondered why?

Quote:
By extension, using religion as a tool to promote viewpoints does not belong here.
Right. That's when you promote your "view point" exclusively by the means of religion. Which I don't. I use Wiki a lot, and that's not a religious source the last I've heard)))

Quote:
Everyone loves to talk about how god is on their side and how they are doing his/her bidding.
You think god is doing my bidding? Hmm... let me think about that one.

Quote:
God doesn’t care about such trivialities
Did you personally talk to him? Did he say that to you?

Quote:
as it’s existence cannot even be proven at this point.
Neither it should be; if you'd ever read the bible, you'd know the reason behind it)))

Old 10-07-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
>90% of people in the Far East are Russian.

I think it has to do with substance abuse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ubstance_abuse

Drug abuse (cases per 100,000 inhabitants) 2010
Ural Federal District: 32.92
Far Eastern Federal District: 23.05
Siberian Federal District: 22.16
Northwestern Federal District: 18.34
Russia: 17.43
North Caucasian Federal District: 15.23
Central Federal District: 14.35
Volga Federal District: 13.43
Southern Federal District: 12.55

Alcoholism (cases per 100,000 inhabitants) 2010
Far Eastern Federal District: 189.94
Ural Federal District: 126.09
Siberian Federal District: 124.36
Volga Federal District: 117.88
Russia: 107.69
Central Federal District: 99.74
North Western Federal District: 99.19
Southern Federal District: 83.39
North Caucasian Federal District: 43.58
Interestingly the poorest regions have the least substance abuse and the least murders? Or maybe it just so happens they are the warmest parts of the country?

GDP (PPP) per capita 2013
Ural Federal District: $33,027
Central Federal District: $25,831
Far Eastern Federal District: $23,743
Northwestern Federal District: $21,417
Russia: $19,854
Volga Federal District: $15,194
Siberian Federal District: $15,140
Southern Federal District: $13,353
North Caucasian Federal District: $7,496

Old 10-07-2017, 03:35 PM

827 posts, read 630,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Good question. The only reason I don't own that condo in Smolensk is because my family is here.
The only reason you can afford this condo cash is because russians have no money so it make place cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The problem with all these Ukrainians ( and "liberals" in general, Russian "liberals" including,) is that they slap these figures around ( like "average $ 60,000 income per year,) without looking for finer prints.
The kind of thoughts/ideas they project about the US, were true during Soviet times, even 30 years earlier, but A LOT has changed in the US since.
And a lot has changed in Russia too.

This is an example of "finer print" when it comes to the US;

1. The median household income in 2014 was $53,719, which means that half of American households make less than this amount, and half make more. Since the median is significantly below the average, it tells us that there are more households with below-average household income than above-average, and that the average is distorted by a small percentage of high-income households. And this median is based on total income, not AGI, which accounts for a few deductions, so the difference is even bigger than this implies. In fact, if you look at the percentile chart earlier, you'll notice that the median AGI lies somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000. If you've heard anyone complain about "income inequality," this huge difference between the average and the median shows that it's a real issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...come/93002252/

You said this as if it's different in Russia?
Because the Gini coefficient who look at inegality give more or less the same result for USA and Russia.
Except in Russia people are far less rich.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
The only reason you can afford this condo cash is because russians have no money so it make place cheaper.
So this is normal then, that Americans are looking in direction where they can actually AFFORD their living in a decent city, not in some boonies?

Quote:
You said this as if it's different in Russia?
Why would it be different, if it were the Americans that *sold* their "winning" economic concept to Russia?
But that's what Ukrainians/DKM can't understand/refused to see, that a lot of today's Russia problems stem from this very arrangement.

Quote:
Because the Gini coefficient who look at inegality give more or less the same result for USA and Russia.
Except in Russia people are far less rich.
Russians are far less rich on average on one hand - it's true, but on another hand, Russian market is not as saturated as American one and the country with its wilderness, with its shortage of population and the rest, potentially still has more opportunities than America of today. Plus Russia is still a European country. So there are still some perks there, that people ( who are interested) can see.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
"16.07" Are there any natives (aboriginals) in those districts?

ok my knowledge of Russia (including USSR) is quite limited. Anne Wiazemsky just passed away, and her father was of the Rurik family. When I searched the Ruriks, they were not real Russians but descendants of the Lithuanians/Swedes/Slavs.
OK, then what "real Russians" would be?

Old 10-07-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
OK, then what "real Russians" would be?
I think he is talking about the founder of the Rurik dynasty, most scholars agree that he was Scandinavian and some even think he was Rorik of Dorestad.

"The only information about Rurik is contained in the 12th-century Primary Chronicle written by one Nestor, which states that Chuds, Eastern Slavs, Merias, Veses, and Krivichs "...drove the Varangians back beyond the sea, refused to pay them tribute, and set out to govern themselves". Afterwards the tribes started fighting each other and decided to invite the Varangians, led by Rurik, to reestablish order. Rurik came in 860-862 along with his brothers Sineus and Truvor and a large retinue.
According to the Primary Chronicle, Rurik was one of the Rus', a Varangian tribe likened by the chronicler to Danes, Swedes, Angles, and Gotlanders."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurik

Old 10-07-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think he is talking about the founder of the Rurik dynasty, most scholars agree that he was Scandinavian and some even think he was Rorik of Dorestad.

"The only information about Rurik is contained in the 12th-century Primary Chronicle written by one Nestor, which states that Chuds, Eastern Slavs, Merias, Veses, and Krivichs "...drove the Varangians back beyond the sea, refused to pay them tribute, and set out to govern themselves". Afterwards the tribes started fighting each other and decided to invite the Varangians, led by Rurik, to reestablish order. Rurik came in 860-862 along with his brothers Sineus and Truvor and a large retinue.
According to the Primary Chronicle, Rurik was one of the Rus', a Varangian tribe likened by the chronicler to Danes, Swedes, Angles, and Gotlanvders."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurik
I know that, but Orbiter said that Ruriks were not "real Russians" but descendants of "Slavs" ( among other things.)
That's why I asked what Russians are then ( if not Slavs?)

P.S. The last we discussed here, the genetic studies were done on Rurik's descendants in Russia, and they showed only Baltic ( or Finnish) bloodlines in them.
So what's up with that? Was Rurik not of Scandinavian decent, or were those descendants false?

Old 10-07-2017, 05:34 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
I wonder sometimes - am I the only one whom google doesn't charge for using it - i.e. I can use the service for free, whenever and as much as I want?
Because these are the real reasons why Iranians have grief with the US ( and Great Britain as I've discovered)
But you do pay for it in privacy. Data is the new oil. The Persians again, they paid with real oil.

Quote:
P.S. The last we discussed here, the genetic studies were done on Rurik's descendants in Russia, and they showed only Baltic ( or Finnish) bloodlines in them.
So what's up with that? Was Rurik not of Scandinavian decent, or were those descendants false?
Rurik was likely of Finnish descent (what we today consider as Finnish/Finland), but his allegiance weren't towards any Finnish... community, but to the local vikings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslagen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe