Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 02:35 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
It was more a general question.

So there aren't any process of assimilation or russification under CCCP?
This is a difficult question. Maybe erasure corrects me. There was no violent Russification. A basic rule is that the peoples of Russia should know the Russian language. Many nationalities live in Russia, and Russia tries to preserve their languages. Russians have created many alphabets for language of nationalities of Russia. etc. A lot of scientific work is still going on. For example (Russian language).

The Russian Empire tried to unite Ukrainian, Belorussian and Russian people into a single nation. But the Bolsheviks stopped the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 02:51 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,018,594 times
Putin managed to "unite" even the communists in bulgaria against him, claiming cyrillic comes from Macedonia:
War of words over Cyrillic script continues as Putin unites Bulgaria – against him | The Sofia Globe

Old 05-28-2017, 06:12 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
I have read that the Cyrillic alphabet originated somewhere in SE Europe and spread to the NE via trade routes and with the spread of religion.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:25 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
It was more a general question.

So there aren't any process of assimilation or russification under CCCP?
I would say that "Russification" was first of all the policy of Russian Tzars, ( particularly when we are talking about the native people of Siberia.)
During Soviet times it was rather a process of "Sovetization," because ethnic Russians up to a certain degree were required to give up their identity too.
Now interestingly enough, I hear lately the expressed opinion by some Russians, that it were indeed the early Bolsheviks, that planted a bomb under the very foundation of the USSR, insisting on ethnic identification, the preservation of native languages and distinct borders between the Republics. Because that's how the USSR broke up at the end- exactly within the lines of those demarcations.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I have read that the Cyrillic alphabet originated somewhere in SE Europe and spread to the NE via trade routes and with the spread of religion.
I've written about this in the past...don't have the energy now to repeat but:
2 Greeks teached several bulgarians who then created it. <- very simplified. Yet "Macedonia" had zero contribution.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:39 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I've written about this in the past...don't have the energy now to repeat but:
2 Greeks teached several bulgarians who then created it. <- very simplified. Yet "Macedonia" had zero contribution.
I remember reading about the spread of religion into Russia and young priests would travel to some city in Bulgaria and even Greece for their education. Maybe they would go further afield too. Did Macedonia even exist as a nation in those times?

Old 05-29-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I remember reading about the spread of religion into Russia and young priests would travel to some city in Bulgaria and even Greece for their education. Maybe they would go further afield too. Did Macedonia even exist as a nation in those times?
It didn't, I don't care if they want to be independent but claiming Alexander the Macedon was from present-day FYROM or claiming the invention of cyrillic is just erroneous.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Putin managed to "unite" even the communists in bulgaria against him, claiming cyrillic comes from Macedonia:
War of words over Cyrillic script continues as Putin unites Bulgaria – against him | The Sofia Globe
Putin say: "...from your (Macedonia's) land".

First Bulgarian Empire:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ian_Empire.png

Modern Macedonia:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nia_Europe.png

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 05-29-2017 at 11:39 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 11:36 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Putin say: "...from your land".

First Bulgarian Empire:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ian_Empire.png

Modern Macedonia:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nia_Europe.png
Maxim, I think it was not a *mistake,* but a wink to Macedonia for political reasons)))

English

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...ia-battlefield

Russian

Македония —Â*новое поле битвы США иÂ*Ð*оссии | Мир | ИноСМИ - Все, что достойно перевода

P.S. I am still planning to comment on your previous big post where you were referring to me)))

Old 05-30-2017, 12:04 AM

Of course, Putin is dissatisfied with Bulgaria. Bulgaria violated a agreement and refused to build a southern gas stream.
But his exact quote:
«Письменность пришла к нам (в Россию — прим.) как раз с македонской земли». / "Writing came to us (in Russia) from Macedonian land."
He was not mistaken in general. From the Macedonian, Bulgarian, Greek lands, etc. All these lands were part of the First Bulgarian Empire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. I am still planning to comment on your previous big post where you were referring to me)))
Thanks, it's interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe