Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:34 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sad when you think about it, it must be a cool language. I know someone from Wales and her language is similar I suppose, weird but interesting sound and some very long words

it is a pretty nice sounding language , a higher percentage of welsh people speak their native tongue than irish people which is a pretty damning indictment of us considering wales is part of the uk so they had less incentive to keep the language alive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 03:15 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,345 times
Isn't Irish spoken as the first language by almost everyone who lives on the Aran Islands? And what about other Gaeltacht areas?

To me, Irish, Welsh and Scots Gaelic sounds very similar but I know Welsh is very different from those other 2. I think Welsh is the most widely spoken and well estalished one with hundreds of thousends of native speakers, used as first language by about 20% of Wales. The Welsh even has their own tv shows and series in their language, like that new series Hinterland (Y Gwyn). Does Ireland also have such tv channels?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:25 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,345 times
Wikipedia on the Aran Islands
Aran Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
1,200 inhabitants primarily speak Gaelic, which is the language used in naming the islands and their villages and townlands. Most islanders are also fluent in English.

Video from 1985 on an monolingual Irish speaker:

Monolingual Irish Speaker - YouTube

Old 12-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Isn't Irish spoken as the first language by almost everyone who lives on the Aran Islands? And what about other Gaeltacht areas?

To me, Irish, Welsh and Scots Gaelic sounds very similar but I know Welsh is very different from those other 2. I think Welsh is the most widely spoken and well estalished one with hundreds of thousends of native speakers, used as first language by about 20% of Wales. The Welsh even has their own tv shows and series in their language, like that new series Hinterland (Y Gwyn). Does Ireland also have such tv channels?

im not sure 20% of people in wales are fluent in welsh , I thought it was close to 10% , even that would be double the number of fluent irish speakers in Ireland

only around .5% of scots are fluent in scots gaelic , the language is more or less dead and has been for a long time

their is an irish language tv channel in Ireland , a twice weekly soap opera ( in irish ) is even shown on the channel

check out this cameo from a few years ago from no other than actor Stephen fry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgL802oG7-k

Old 12-02-2013, 04:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
1.2% of Scotland's population can speak Scottish Gaelic, but they are more or less entirely concentrated in the Hebrides, where a majority of people, in some cases, speak Scottish Gaelic as their primary language.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
1.2% of Scotland's population can speak Scottish Gaelic, but they are more or less entirely concentrated in the Hebrides, where a majority of people, in some cases, speak Scottish Gaelic as their primary language.

il take your word for it , I do know in the case of Ireland when providing that kind of info, the bar is set extremely low , therefore anyone who has a few words is often listed as being able to speak irish , if the Scottish situation is remotely similar , that 1.2% figure could be a little high

Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM

According to the Wiki article, 58,000 can speak Scottish Gaelic, and 87,000 can speak some Scottish Gaelic.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
According to the Wiki article, 58,000 can speak Scottish Gaelic, and 87,000 can speak some Scottish Gaelic.
that's great , I used to have bbc alba on satellite , no longer appear to have it , its the scots gaelic chanell , right ?

Old 12-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Yup.

BBC - ALBA - Duilleag-dachaigh

The number of Scottish Gaelic speakers is dwindling though.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Yup.

BBC - ALBA - Duilleag-dachaigh

The number of Scottish Gaelic speakers is dwindling though.

im currently doing an irish language course , guy from London is amongst the class , he,s a great charechter but I don't expect him to be fluent anytime soon and when I say soon I mean in the next thousand years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe