Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,130,563 times

Advertisements

I hear that until recently Ireland was a staunchly Catholic, socially conservative society. Even sex before marriage was frowned upon, and abortion illegal. Religious adherence was also high compared to other Catholic nations like Spain and higher than the UK. I've heard that atheism is growing rapidly and Ireland is becoming a lot more like the UK and the rest of Europe. Is this true?

How does that reflect in daily life in the Republic of Ireland? Would you say things like hooking up and casual sex are less prevalent in Ireland (although still common enough I imagine) than in the UK? Also would you say Northern Ireland is more conservative/religious, possibly the most Evangelical place in all of Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,304,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hear that until recently Ireland was a staunchly Catholic, socially conservative society. Even sex before marriage was frowned upon, and abortion illegal. Religious adherence was also high compared to other Catholic nations like Spain and higher than the UK. I've heard that atheism is growing rapidly and Ireland is becoming a lot more like the UK and the rest of Europe. Is this true?

How does that reflect in daily life in the Republic of Ireland? Would you say things like hooking up and casual sex are less prevalent in Ireland (although still common enough I imagine) than in the UK? Also would you say Northern Ireland is more conservative/religious, possibly the most Evangelical place in all of Europe?

abortion is still illegal in ireland ( if their was a vote , id vote to keep it that way ) , divorce was made legal in 1995 ( which i was too young to vote on )

while still more conservative than the uk as a whole , its not as if a new arrival would find themselves , bashed over the head with conservatism , thats not our style at all , ireland people are deeply unidealogical and we do not do self rightous dogmatism , living in sin as it was once known is not given a seconds thought by the vast majority under sixty five nowadays , ireland is still quite a rural country while the uk is one of the most urban countries in the entire world and has been for hundreds of years

northern ireland is a bit of an anomoly , its part of the uk yet only slighltly more than half the population consider themselves british , those 52% are by far and away the most conservative segment of the british population and are much more conservative in every sense than anyone who lives in southern ireland , the irish population in northern ireland are quite socilist compared to their brothers and sisters in the south but this is mainly due to the fact that the political parties who represented them this past nintey years either grew out of civil rights movements or in the case of sinn fein ,a marxist gorrilla movement , as i said , northern ireland is an anamoly

Old 07-09-2012, 08:28 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,032,689 times
^^^ Wow! Divorce made legal in 1995? Isn't that pretty late for a European country?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
^^^ Wow! Divorce made legal in 1995? Isn't that pretty late for a European country?
Lichtenstein granted equal voting rights to women in 1984, and then only barely. 51.4% of men voted to grant equal rights.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Lichtenstein granted equal voting rights to women in 1984, and then only barely. 51.4% of men voted to grant equal rights.
not sure what relevance that has , men could not divorce prior to 1995 either so it wasnt an equality issue

Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
only a couple of centurys late
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe