Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times

Advertisements

If you had to live in one for a little while, which would you choose? What are the comparisons of nightlife, friendliness, and safety with each other? If you were an American, regardless of race or religion, and only spoke English, which do you think would be the best choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
It's like comparing Philly/Boston to Savannah/Charleston.
London wins hands down imo!
Florence is a nice place to visit but to live there as a foreigner not so much.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:02 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
If you had to live in one for a little while, which would you choose? What are the comparisons of nightlife, friendliness, and safety with each other? If you were an American, regardless of race or religion, and only spoke English, which do you think would be the best choice?
Is this supposed to be a trick question? I've been to both and although Florence has a unique beauty all its own, London is of a much greater scale than Florence. That's why I choose London.

Note that it's greatly to your advantage to speak Italian if you stay in Italy. They're even more staunch than the French, IMO.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
I'd gladly live in both cities, but if I had to choose just one, I'd go with Florence.

Yes, London is great and it has everything one may desire but, to live, I prefer smaller places. This would be the main reason for me: I like a city where I can walk to most destinations and London is too massive to do this regularly. Although London is well worth the trouble, I've been there and done that and I know that I'm more relaxed and happier in more compact locations.

Also, as an art lover, I could never miss out on the chance of living in a city like Firenze. There's good enough nightlife, culture everywhere, wonderful food (and wine, if you're into that) and warm people. Besides, Tuscany has a few other beautiful towns that I'd love to visit or explore further.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Having been to London and not Florence, I would vote for Florence.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 AM

342 posts, read 1,927,196 times
Florence is Disneyland for adults.

Did you know there are more American college students in Florence than Italians??!!

At least that is what it seemed like to me when I was there...

Old 12-03-2011, 01:37 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
I know Florence very well; we lived 80 km (49 miles) from it for seven years and we did our grocery shopping at the ethnic supermarket there once a month during those years. I also know London fairly well; we visited it two or three times a year for more than a decade. From the experience I have of both cities, my answer is London.

Nightlife: London, hands down.
Friendliness: London is a bit better.
Safety: Both equally.

Now, had you asked Rome or London, then my answer would have been Rome.

BTW, out of all the cities and towns in Italy, Florence ranks in the bottom ten of my favourite.

Another BTW, even though almost everyone speaks English in Florence, you would still miss out a lot if you don't understand Italian while living there.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-03-2011 at 01:57 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Florence is Disneyland for adults.
Please define Disneyland for adults
Las Vegas, Bangkok, Amsterdam, Rio de Janeiro, Cancun, Ibiza would fit that description the best imo.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:51 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
I know Florence very well; we lived 80 km (49 miles) from it for seven years and we did our grocery shopping at the ethnic supermarket there once a month during those years. I also know London fairly well; we visited it two or three times a year for more than a decade. From the experience I have of both cities, my answer is London.

Nightlife: London, hands down.
Friendliness: London is a bit better.
Safety: Both equally.

Now, had you asked Rome or London, then my answer would have been Rome.

BTW, out of all the cities and towns in Italy, Florence ranks in the bottom ten of my favourite.

Another BTW, even though almost everyone speaks English in Florence, you would still miss out a lot if you don't understand Italian while living there.
Even lower than Venice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer
Is this supposed to be a trick question? I've been to both and although Florence has a unique beauty all its own, London is of a much greater scale than Florence. That's why I choose London.
Well I hope not. That's pretty much what it seems to me. Florence looks absolutely gorgeous, but London seems like the more international city. I'm kind of afraid that I'd be just another American in London, but I guess according to califantastic that would be more the case in Florence?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:50 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Even lower than Venice?

I'm kind of afraid that I'd be just another American in London, but I guess according to califantastic that would be more the case in Florence?
Yes, lower than Venice.

The way I see it, you live and work in London, but in Florence, you are always seen as a tourist or a visitor. Unless you live there for years and years on end, then you become an expat, but there are already thousands and thousands of American expats in Florence (and quite a few live under the radar too) for a city that small.

If you don't want to be just another American in London, then you definitely would not want to be just another American in the masses of Americans in Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe