Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 PM

72 posts, read 179,528 times

Advertisements

Which country would be overall more pleasant to visit in the middle of the summer?

(One of those Scandinavian countries or Italy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Generally speaking I would say Scandinavia as the temperatures there are lower than in Italy all year round.

It may also depend on where you come from and what temperatures you are used to.

For me the humidity in the eastern half of the USA is less bearable than an Italian summer.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Italy is far more interesting IMO ( as much as I love Scandinavia) but the heat at the height of summer will be severe especially around Rome which is like an oven. If you have even the remotest interest in History, Archaeology, Architecture, Food, and culture, Italy it has to be though.

Norway is sublimely beautiful if you are an outdoors person. The Scandinavian capitals are all very pleasant but nothing I would count as exceptionally interesting compared to Italy's Rome, Florence or Naples IMO. Finland ( not part of Scandinavia per se) is OK, but quite boring mostly. Karelia is the nicest part IMO and Lapland. The middle bit is just sooooooooooooo dull. Helsinki is once again nice. Not fab but nice.

It depends what you like really. Italy is hugely varied from the Arid South to the Beautiful Lakes of the North, historical cities and towns galore, wonderful coastline, lots to see and do , some of the best food on the planet, great people. I would recommend Tuscany and Puglia in particular. Rome is simply staggering and it would take five lifetimes to do it justice. Venice is a must see but the area is rather dull.
The Italian Riviera is just sublime. Scenery varies greatly too which adds to the interest. Sicily and Sardinia are both fantastic and I would then hop onto Corsica ( part of France but glorious) though summer means sharing with half of Europe...

If you chose Scandinavia I would definitely pick Norway first and foremost, Oslo and Bergen for cities and the Fjords and nothern coastline for scenic beauty. Denmark and Sweden second, Finland last .

Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
I would (of course) pick Sweden.
If you ever are going to visit Sweden you can´t do it at a better time than late june or early july.
Plus all norwegians are already here to avoid the rain.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 AM

72 posts, read 179,528 times
Thanks for all the fantastically interesting responses. We are visiting relatives near Hambourg and will be doing some traveling to other countries. We were thinking this year about either going to Italy or taking a ferry across the Baltic.

My thoughts on Italy are all the tourists in the summer and the heat. We are heat-acclimated living in Florida but do enjoy cooler temps.

This is a tough decision.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Scandinavia is beautiful, and summer is usually a great time for it ( the Swedish do Islands wonderfully for example, they always feel laid back and yet somehow really stylish at the same time... ) but Italy is soooooooooo amazing as well.

If you do plump for Scandinavia I would include Tallinn in Estonia which is such a wonderful city and only a hop away from Helsinki by ferry. A little gem of a city.

tallinn - Google Search

Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 PM

You could take a trip through Denmark to Copenhagen and then just drive over the bridge to Sweden.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 10,374 times
Default Rome vs. Stockholm - PLEASE HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND!

I have the opportunity to exchange homes for 10 days over Christmas 2014 - and I have to choose between Stockholm and Rome. Tough!
The following are pros and cons as I understand it:
The apartment in Stockholm is in Sodermalm, which seems to be near the city centre and easy to navigate from. The apartment looks nice, spacious.
The apartment near Rome is in Ostia, which means a 30 minute train ride to the city centre, plus a metro/bus ride. Twice every day, most days. The apartment is smaller, but has a sea view.
Stockholm will be dark with few hours daylight; it may be very very cold. Snow may be a problem (slippery sidewalks?). Snow may be a wonderful experience.
Rome will have more daylight, it will also be cold but better than Sweden.
I enjoy art, architecture, history, food. I am not interested in shopping or nightlife.
Nature just outside Stockholm seems very beautiful (but I think it may be better to visit in summer?) Within an hour from Rome there are many lovely small towns.
We will have 10 days, so will also make a few day trips. As far as I could see, trains in Sweden are almost double the price of trains /buses in Italy.
Wine in Sweden double the price than wine in Italy (!)
I have been to Rome before, and I know that you will not exhaust its treasures in 10 trips. Does it make sense to spend 10 days in Stockholm?
Those of you who know and love both places, PLEASE HELP! What should I take into consideration?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:36 AM

Since you have already been in Rome I think you should try Stockholm.
It´s only 10 days, a little darkness and chilly weather won´t kill you.
If you buy an SL Access Card you have unlimited travels in the entire county, I think you can even travel a little in the archipelago.
Unfortunately they don´t have a 10-day card, so you will have to buy a 3-day refill.
Still worth it though.
Stockholm also has art, architecture, history and food.
And shopping and nightlife.
Even though you´re not interested you shouls take the time to visit the christmas markets in Old Town and Skansen.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
For spectacular scenery, Norway. It generally doesn't rain in the summer, or not much, in the north.

What did you have in mind, exactly? Renting a car, and driving? A cruise? You won't regret seeing the Norwegian fjords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe