Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 09:18 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A shipmate is/was a cast member at Disney - not a princess, she's an in-character cast member on Star Wars ride. Gets to sport an Imperial uniform and order people around, nice work if you can get it.

From what she tells, the people taking on the job as meet-and-greet Disney characters are pretty much all from a theater/dance background. They tend to take the job very seriously - people save for years and travel far, and there's a feeling they're owed the best experience. (This doesn't mean they necessarily like the company, mind. But they'll bend over backwards for the guests, particularly kids.)

Other tidbits: There's a lot of dalliances happening - young healthy people, it's to be expected - to the point where Disney's scheduling software is can handle the inevitable break-ups. This Cinderella can't be scheduled with that Prince Charming going forward, very well, nobody bats an eyelid.

And apparently there's a surprising number of dads who will try to flirt or go hands-on with a Disney princess while standing 20 feet from their wife and kids...
Something like that. I was on the official list as a member of a vendor's staff at a Renaissance Festival one year. We got a nice booklet with the rules of being in character, all the things we could not do, have when we were out with the people. As I was a photographer, I had to have my camera which, of course, detracts from the character.....but my character had a cover story or two for that.

For me, playing the part is quite a blast and a rush but a thing or both from my side and then the other. For those kind of faires, you are doing it each weekend for 2 months and as such, it takes a lot of energy...something more appropriate for the young. They have the energy, they have the time.

From the other side in that one must keep in mind that out in public, they are always subject to being caught in the split second of a shutter. Somehow, they manage to keep their smiles all the time.

Finally, that note about the best performance for the customer for they have traveled far. It is like what I learned studying National Park Law Enforcement. That is, words to the effect of, "Understand that for many, they do these trips only once in a life time. so don't come down like Falling Rocks and ruin the experience for them."

Finally, part 2, in how can you do your best even if the act is so old, so repeated. For me, that is one of my learned techniques from theatre (an unofficial minor) where there is, in fantasy, someone in the audience that I must impress to get next to them (the concept for me centers on being a WW I spy who is an actress), so I give it my all. Further, my style of acting is to play a favorite character who is playing the part assigned. So even if the part is dreary or "off", like playing Felicia in a Lesbian Odd Couple, I can play a sub character, get my thrill, while my sub character has her joy being Felicia. My style of acting may be unique but it would not surprise me if others have unique approaches, too!

Finally, part 3: Consider what Valerie Quennessen, the Princess in Conan the Barbarian (1982). said: [on her part in Conan the Barbarian] On one level, I realize the basic appeal of my character is her body. But the totality of the Conan film is really much more than that. When I read the script, I thought it was just a matter of sword fighting. But when I read the books, I found they were filled with sorcery, and I liked that very much. I've always loved fairy tales, and I've always believed that just around the corner, magic truly does exist, human magic. (from imdb)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 04:04 PM

1,701 posts, read 781,038 times
I don’t know, hot ones who could use the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts