Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 09:10 AM

1,096 posts, read 588,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
they assume a true sense of wit and a string of F-bombs/potty talk possess equal merit.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels like this. Unfortunately, these types of comics get roaring laughter from the audience, which means it clearly works, giving them zero motivation to try anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 09:32 AM

2,944 posts, read 1,016,615 times
Norm McDonald
David Spade
Kevin Hart
Bill Cosby
Jeff Dunham
Roseann Barr
Jeff Foxworthy
Woody Allen
Louis C.K.
Chris Rock

Old 10-12-2023, 09:45 AM

12,892 posts, read 9,142,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
...And half the jokes men tell would get them fired at work. And 80% of the behavior on TV shows could get you fired at work. That's not the point. Jim Gaffigan is mostly a clean comic and I wouldn't say some of his bits at work either.

Jerry Seinfeld, as an example, isn't super super funny to me. I like his comedy, I appreciate why other people like it, but it isn't my favorite in the world. His comedy worked into sitcom format is hilarious. I really like "Comedians in Cars." His Netflix special? Eh. Funny. Not side splitting.
That is the point. Is it a funny joke or is it racist/sexist/demeaning? The same people roaring with laughter at that joke on Saturday night would be filing a complaint on Monday morning if a coworker so much as had a picture in their cube with that joke on it. The absolute hypocrisy involved is exactly the point.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:47 AM

993 posts, read 1,025,601 times
Gallagher

Old 10-12-2023, 09:48 AM

17,690 posts, read 15,397,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Gilbert Gottfried
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Steven Wright

These two, specifically.. Is it more that their comedy isn't funny, or their delivery that is the problem? Because.. I think both of them are very funny comedians.. The problem I generally have with them is their delivery, or their 'schtick'.

Also, am I the only one who will sometimes confuse Steven Wright and the late Vincent Schiavelli?

Anyway.. There are a fair number of comedians that it's not that their material isn't funny.. It's.. THEM that isn't funny.. While I don't feel this way.. Gallagher would be a good example. Most people just think of him as the guy with the watermelons and sledgehammer.. But, take that out, and he was still very funny IMO, and, in general, i'm not overly a fan of prop comics. He still had enough observational humor that I enjoyed.

Carrot Top, on the other hand.. You take the props away and he's nothing. And, if you don't like prop comics, he's nothing.

And, just to contradict myself.. Tape Face.. I saw him out in Vegas.. Laughed my ass off. And, seeing as he doesn't say a word in his show whatsoever.. Hard to say he's anything but a prop comic.

The late Sam Kinison would be another.. To be honest.. Much of his comedy hasn't really stood the test of time. I enjoyed him at the time.. Sad loss, because it'd be interesting to see how he would have evolved with the times.

Norm MacDonald would be another one.. His comedy was really funny.. But.. I just never could really enjoy him. I think he was brilliant.. I think his delivery was.. Flat. And, yes, I'm probably somewhat on an island with that opinion.

Andrew "Dice" Clay.. Yeah.. Bad jokes, bad delivery. He was just.. One of the first ones to do 'shock' comedy or go completely 'blue'. I wouldn't pay to see one of his shows.

Al Franken.. Never enjoyed him.

Old 10-12-2023, 11:23 AM

14,574 posts, read 12,253,747 times
Most of the people listed so far are ranked high among the best comedians of all time.

I think that may say more about critiquing comedy than it does about the comedians themselves.

If you think these people aren't funny.... I can't think of one thing I could do to help that!

Old 10-12-2023, 11:33 AM

2,944 posts, read 1,016,615 times
A friend of mine actually got mad at me back in the 90s when I said that I couldn't watch the Cosby show because I found Bill Cosby to be off-putting. She yelled, "What? He's America's DAD!" I said that I found him to be creepy and unwatchable for many reasons and it really and truly offended her. I still think about this on occasion. I can't imagine getting angry over someone not liking a celebrity I liked. It's weird, right?

Old 10-12-2023, 11:42 AM

14,574 posts, read 12,253,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
A friend of mine actually got mad at me back in the 90s when I said that I couldn't watch the Cosby show because I found Bill Cosby to be off-putting. She yelled, "What? He's America's DAD!" I said that I found him to be creepy and unwatchable for many reasons and it really and truly offended her. I still think about this on occasion. I can't imagine getting angry over someone not liking a celebrity I liked. It's weird, right?
Well, yours is a good case study in why we should never base too many decisions on how we think about other people, especially those we don't even know.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:01 PM

710 posts, read 581,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I second Bill Maher.

Also Amy Schumer.
Amy Schumer is not funny, at all. Carrot Top is another one.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:22 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,213,149 times
I think Amy Schumer CAN be funny...but she's not nearly as funny as SHE thinks she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts