Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times

Advertisements

I am rarely on Netflix anymore. I feel like once they lost their deal with Starz, their movie selection has gone downhill. And once their deal with Disney ends at the end of this year, they'll lose a lot of what the kids watch. I've contemplated getting rid of Netflix at that point but we'll see. We don't have cable so we use Hulu to watch all of our shows the day after they air. They have also been really building up a library of shows I grew up with in the 80s that are sometimes fun to go back and rewatch for nostagia's sake. They also have a deal with Epix where movies that are on Epix are on Hulu as well. Hulu does have a live tv feature for an extra cost but I don't know much about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM

708 posts, read 720,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
thanks all-this has been a very helpful thread for me.

I'm still sitting here watching Netflix-FREE-and have no idea why. It's only just this one TV. There are 3 others in the house but on them you are asked to sign up,credit card infor, etc
You probably on a free trial and don't know it. Nexlfix charges you by the screen you are playing on it
that's why they want to charge you on the other TV's..

Old 03-24-2018, 12:40 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,920 times
I got both at the moment. I prefer hulu.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I just sat here fiddling with the remote; clicked on Netflix, chose a show and it's playing it. No where did it have me sign up or indicate a charge
You may be doing the free 7 day trial. It will instruct you at the end of the week trial. I have had Netflix since 03...Love it. I do only the streaming now, it used to be mailed dvd's back when I first started.

I added Amazon prime about a year ago because I thought I must be missing something. So, between those two I have endless choices, and they both have some great original series and movies.

Netflix is 9.99 it was 7.99 for me til last year. and amazon I pay a yearly fee saving a few dollars, but it equals to about 10+ if you pay monthly. If I was choosing between them I'd choose Netflix. Amazon has a lot more subtitled movies and movies that I'd never watch.

And Netflix seems to me to be more user friendly regarding finding the movies you started and were interrupted, and searching for stars or movie titles. Amazon is to me more difficult to maneuver when I am searching, and you are dealing with all the various catalogs of things to buy, etc....just my opinion.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:36 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,045 times
It really does depend on what you want. If your favorite TV show is on Hulu, then it might be the bother option. If you want to add extras, you can do so on Hulu.

I think overall Netflix has a better movie selection and original series.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:19 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Pippy, I am so glad you started this because I’ve been so confused ever since I got my Smart TV a few months ago to replace my ancient analog TV.

I also have Netflix on my remote. I subscribed to their DVD service for years. So I switched over to streaming on my TV and was disappointed in my movie selection because the DVD selection was more up to date but happy that I could stream their original TV shows like “Frankie and Grace” and “The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt” without having to wait a year for them to come out on DVD.

Along with Netflix the TV came with YouTube but I don’t see the selections mentioned here. Also VUDU and NetTV. Neither of these impress me. My building is hooked up to an analog antenna so for a whopping $10.00 a month I get 55 channels including network TV. Like you I am trying to decide what other devices I might want to get.

So confusing!

Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,234 times
It is all a bit confusing. By the time you figure it all out a new service starts! haha

Old 04-22-2018, 10:48 AM

82 posts, read 70,210 times
Honestly, Id have to say you should choose both. I use them both pretty frequently. I think that Netflix is really changing the game with the amount of netflix originals but for any tv show you have to wait months to get the season put up there. With hulu they have most current shows that you can watch as early as the night of the airing date.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:48 PM

253 posts, read 228,751 times
I think both are worth having, but if you're looking to be able to watch currently airing TV in a timely fashion Hulu is going to be the way to go.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Right now
Netflix has 3767 movies and 1101 TV shows
Hulu has 1353 movies and 1288 TV shows

So in general Netflix has a greater collection of movies. They are trying to achieve 50% of their TV shows being Netflix branded, so they spend literally billions of dollars a year on production of TV shows. As you can imagine most are geared towards younger audiences, and are often in foreign languages as Netflix is sold all over the world. The most common option is $11 a month.

Hulu is owned by Disney, 21st Century Fox, Comcast and Turner Broadcasting or the same four companies that own most of the broadcast and cable channels. So their orientation is towards television, and they collate much of the same material that was broadcast the day before. Some people prefer to spend $12 to watch the video commercial free on Hulu the next day.

Hulu Live TV ($40 or $44 if you want video library commercial free) allows you to watch many of the channels that are common to traditional cable TV. It is perhaps easier to list channels that are MISSING from Hulu Live TV.
  1. Nickelodeon
  2. TV Land
  3. Paramount
  4. Comedy
  5. BET
  6. MTV
  7. VH1
  8. CMT
  9. Animal Planet
  10. Hallmark
  11. Hallmark Movies
  12. Discovery
  13. Velocity
  14. Investigation (ID)
  15. TLC
  16. Outdoor
  17. AMC
  18. IFC
  19. Sundance
  20. Reelz
  21. WGN
  22. GSN
  23. WE
  24. OWN (Oprah)

My personal vote for priorities is (1) $15 for HBO NOW, (2) $11 for Netflix, (3) $11 for Amazon Prime, (4) $12 for Hulu VOD library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts