Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Star Wars Franchise now?
I like it more than ever 1 7.14%
I like it about the same 9 64.29%
I like it less 1 7.14%
They have ruined it beyond hope 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 06:03 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times

Advertisements

No. It is understandable considering how much Mickey had to pay George up front. Ticket sales alone won't be enough to recoup that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 05:01 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No. It is understandable considering how much Mickey had to pay George up front. Ticket sales alone won't be enough to recoup that.
Mickey is doing A-OK.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:51 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
All I know is that considering the hype, this edition had better be way good!

The toys, action figures etc are priced at a level that only the guys on Big Bang Theory could afford.
Hayden Christiansen isn't in it so it's automatically better.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:06 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Hayden Christiansen isn't in it so it's automatically better.
It'd be better if Jar Jar was killed off.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:24 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I don't know about the rest of you but there is Star Wars everything now. You can't go anywhere without seeing something Star Wars. When I saw the original movie in 1977 (3 times) I enjoyed it immensely and there wasn't a lot of merchandise but now OMG its everywhere. What do you think?
I was eight years old in 1977. I had Star Wars figures and more elaborate toys and trading cards. There were Star Wars lunchboxes and posters and record albums and books and comics and coloring books and apparel and masks and costumes and on and on and on.

And, no - my enjoyment of the films (mostly, the first one) is not even remotely affected by merchandising. Why would it be? The idea doesn't even make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They have totally ruined it!!!!

GEORGE LUCAS is a moron who took a piece of gold AND MADE IT GARBAGE!!!!!!

I cant believe ANY OF THE ORIGINAL CAST wanted anything to do with making it what it became...... ITS TRULY VERY SAD..... It shows all of them were compromised!!

The original 3 movies ARE THE BEST 3 PART MOVIE EVER!!!!!
Sheesh, calm down. And that's not even what is being asked.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:25 AM

84 posts, read 70,718 times
It's a cash cow and their milking it to death thanks to the new Star Wars movie. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but I feel like it's being shoved down my throat.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:32 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
I don't know about the rest of you but there is Star Wars everything now. You can't go anywhere without seeing something Star Wars. When I saw the original movie in 1977 (3 times) I enjoyed it immensely and there wasn't a lot of merchandise but now OMG its everywhere. What do you think?
I disagree. While there is, piece-for-piece, much more merchandise out there today than there was in 1977, it's more a reflection of the gluttonous society we live in today. There's more of EVERYTHING.

So you have to put it in perspective. Today, yes, there's a ton of merchandise being produced to coincide with the release of the new Star Wars flick. But there's also a ton of stuff out there related to Toy Story, Cars, Big Hero 6, and most every other kid-friendly movie.

Compare that to 1977 when the toy store aisles were jam packed with Star Wars stuff, but how much merchandise did you see for Pete's Dragon or The Rescuers?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:39 AM

589 posts, read 696,115 times
The constant spin-offs have made the series relevant for decades. Star Wars fans have always had novels, comics, and tv shows to enjoy, despite the original movie being over 30 years old.

I'm sure you'd be much more displeased if you had a gap of nothingness between the original movies and the Force Awakens.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:

I don't know old you are, but I also saw it in 1977 and there was a lot of merchandising back then too. Not online, of course, but at all the major toy retailers and Sears, JCPenney, etc.

It just so happens this is being released at Christmas time is why it seems even more hyped.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:52 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
There is a reason its being released now...... ALL PLANNED FOR A CERTAIN DATE......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts