Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,412,686 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if this is me or has anyone else noticed this?

Years ago, I used to go to musicals often and could find tickets, right in the main orchestra for what I called a reasonable price. I remember seeing The Lion King back in 2005 for about $60. Musicals like Chicago and RENT I paid no more than $50 -$60 and I don't do nosebleed seats. I want want orchestra or the first balcony.

Fast forward only a few years and ticket prices have more than doubled. We saw Beauty and the Beast last year and I believe tickets were $130 each. Most musicals and concerts start well over $125 just for nosebleed.

Beyonce tix were $150, Jay Z & Kanye West came to town and those tix were $350 in the regular orchestra seating, $1100 to be right near the stage.

Just this morning I heard that Diana Ross is coming to town this summer and thought maybe I'd take my mom who has always been a fan: tickets are about $200! I cannot justify $400 for ONE show.

For people who went to plays and concerts in the 90s, 80s or 70s, were ticket prices always kinda high or were they more reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,336,052 times
It’s whatever the market will bear. Many producers have taken to the practice of scalping their own tickets. It started when The Producers was a hit on Broadway. The wait for tickets was months-long and scalpers were reselling them with huge markups. The theater started selling the prime seats for $400+ to discourage the practice (and make more money for themselves).

Old 02-19-2014, 09:02 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,372,586 times
I completely agree with Miss Crabcakes, although oddly, I had a concert experience last weekend that I thought should have been more expensive. I saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings at a venue that holds something like 1,000 people. Tickets were $25 (plus fees). It was obvious that this show would sell out, and it did. Tons of scalpers were looking to buy extras outside the venue, but virtually no extras were available, at any price.

This band had 11 members, plus a three piece opening band. Add in crew, techs, merch people, bus rental, hotel expenses, etc. and I can't figure out how a show like this could make enough money for the band to go home with anything in their pockets. In fact, the guitarist for the band was recently quoted as saying that, despite being in a band that is pretty well known, he had to resort to sleeping on friends counches in the weeks before the tour because he ran out of money (and not because of the stereotypical rock star excesses).

I think tickets would have sold out at $40 or even $50. The audience still would have felt like it was a good bargain (it was an older and fairly affluent crowd), and the band might have been able to keep their apartments back home.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,412,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I completely agree with Miss Crabcakes, although oddly, I had a cocnert experience last weekend that I thought should have been more expensive. I saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings at a venue that holds something like 1,000 people. Tickets were $25 (plus fees). It was obvious that this show would sell out, and it did. Tons of scalpers were looking to buy extras outside the venue, but virtually no extras were available.

This band had 11 members, plus a three piece opening band. Add in crew, techs, merch people, bus rental, hotel expenses, etc. and I can't figure out how a show like this could make enough money for the band to go home with anything in their pockets. In fact, the guitarist for the band was recently quoted as saying that, despite being in a band that is pretty well known, he had to resort to sleeping on friends counches in the weeks before the tour because he ran out of money.

I think tickets would have sold out at $40 or even $50. The audience still would have felt like it was a good bargain (it was an older and fairly affluent crowd), and the band might have been able to keep their apartments back home.
I had a similar experience a few years back when I saw a Bruno Mars/Janelle Monae show for only $30. It was a small venue but a great deal. I would have thought it would be more. Not even sure if it was sold out.

But its sad about the higher ticket prices. I used to see several plays and shows per year. Now its like I have to choose my one. Its not just about getting my own ticket but convincing someone else to pay and go with me.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM

4,011 posts, read 5,213,635 times
Heck, I remember going to Monsters of Rock back in '88. Six bands in the lineup. Tickets were $20. Most two band concerts went for $15, no fees or other BS. Oh, they were general admission too so you could sit wherever you wanted.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM

37,199 posts, read 42,457,939 times
I agree ticket prices are crazy.

I have seen some inexpensive things at smaller venues. No, it's not the Broadway cast of anything but it's regional and still pretty good. Some new shows, like Book of Mormon, have commanded high prices since the beginning and will take awhile before it falls into the "affordable" category. Beauty and the Beast, performed locally last year, could be had for $35 in my area. It's all about where and when.

I don't go out to the big stuff much anymore but I will splurge occasionally!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,718,958 times
I don't pay over 50 dollars of anything. Use less pyro and state decorations

Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM

6,204 posts, read 7,498,135 times
One more item that gets super expensive. I was thinking:
1) Even shows with lower demand don't reduce their ticket prices.
2) They say the inflation is zero. (The list of items that cost much more than in the past is too long to mention).
3) Only our salaries remain low (at 1990s levels) since there is no inflation and no need to raise them...

Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,409,227 times
Ah, the good old days. I remember seeing Elton John after debating paying $4 for a ticket. The last concert I saw was only because the ticket was a gift. $25 for a five band event, Brian Adams, Night Ranger, Eddie Money, Triumph, and Journey. Frankly, there aren't a handful of groups I'd pay more than $4 for now.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:58 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,381,366 times
I got all excited when the Beach Boys came through here recently, then I saw the ticket prices...$350 for a good seat. Not a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts