Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 AM

13,713 posts, read 9,041,151 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite C&H strips (from memory):

Calvin tells his father "I have an idea to improve my grades. Pay me $10 for every A, $8.00 for every B, $5.00 for every C, and $1.00 for every D I get on my report card!"

Father: No Calvin, I'm not going to bribe you for getting good grades.

Calvin (to us): Rats. I thought I could pick up an easy four bucks.

(the first time I read it it took me a few moments to get the implication)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,026,325 times
Spaceman Spiff, Stupenous Man and his on going battle with Roz the babysitter all good.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,129,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Yes this was one of the greatest comics ever, so many classic lines that my brother and I will quote in just about any situation.
" Hey Dad, remember our car?"

Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,647,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Calvin and Hobbes ruled. A favorite childhood memory, and I have the entire collection as well.

Although in his introduction to the complete collection (which came out with a list price of $150.00), Watterson does state some level of regret for turning down all of the merchandising proposals.
Interesting. I could never stomach paying that much for the collection when I already had all the books.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,251,597 times
I had a few of the individual books when I purchased them as a kid when they originally came out

I was back home just before the complete collection came out and found the old books and re-read them .... forgot how much I liked the comic

When the complete collection came out I didn't jump due to price ... i waited a (long) while to find a price I could live with and jumped

Just so many gems in there and it's a strip that is amazingly relevant today (at least I hope there are still kids with great imaginations looking to spruce up every day life instead of slaving to video games & computers) .... i think he did a good job at taking a snapshot of the times and touching into that child we all have in us

I like it now for completely different reasons .... the neat thing about the complete collection is that they run the dates of the strips and it's all sequential

As an adult I immediately recognize the political tones, environmentalist tones, etc ..... i don't think this increased or decreased much over the life of the comic

I also think that it would be unfair to call Calvin a dumb kid - just disinterested in schooling ..... hence the reason he'd be in a panic after being called upon after (or during) a daydream or spending more time on how to not get beat up or how to mess with suzie than his multiplication tables

and then go home and ask insightful questions, create election polls for his dad, etc

i love pretty much everything about C&H even if my appreciation of it has changed ... still full of great wit, illustration, creativity and commentary

I look forward to sharing it with my kids

Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 AM

13 posts, read 38,019 times
I loved the Calvin and Hobbes comic strips. They certainly don't make comics like it anymore. Even though I couldn't grasp all the humor and insight as a kid growing up, it made me appreciate the comic book even more when I picked it up and caught all the missing nuances/messages as an adult. Here is an artists' rendition of how Calvin and Hobbes ends:

Yeah, I know, it's super depressing. Luckily the Calvin and Hobbes ended with them embarking on a snow adventure.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 AM

746 posts, read 1,678,799 times
I really miss good comics. I used to read all the old ones religiously in my youth.

Today's stuff just doesn't do it for me whatsoever. Even dilbert was only funny for awhile, and got stale quickly.

The only one I really like now is Pearls before Swine, by Stephen Pastis. He seems so irreverently funny, and the rat is just such an a0hole. I love it.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,132,567 times
My paper has a big daily comics page and out of the over 30 daily comics there are only maybe 5 or 6 that I can enjoy reading. Most areold and dried out and haven't gotten any new plot twists. Here they are and here are my opinions of them.
Frank And Ernest: Ehhhh, at best a little pun humor.
Baldo: The characters are boring.
Hi and Lois. Tried and true. Old but still pretty good.
Broom Hilda. Just terrible.
Mark Trail: A little bizarre, but a guilty pleasure because its so unique.
Dick tracy: used to be good 20 years ago, now just hanging on.
Stone Soup: Okay, I like this one. Current, with good characters.
Jump Start: I like this one too. This and Stone Soup are two favorites.
Hagar The Horrible: Old, just hanging on.
The Wizard of Id: This makes me laugh
Archie: Just needs freshening. Maybe it should follow story arcs.
Dilbert: Can be funny but tries a little too much to eb smart.
The Born Loser: Getting old.
Marvin: Getting old.
Peanuts Classics: I rememeber these as a kid. No new comic strips around?
Zits: Pretty good.
Non Sequitor: Usually good.
Mr. Abernathy: So old its dead to me.
Drabble: Got old.
Beetle bailey: Hanging on, still good at times.
Monty: Might be good, the bad drawing tuns me off.
Adam: Needs better story lines. Adam drinking coffee is not funny.
Crankshaft: The stories can be interesting.
Blondie: A dinosaur. Still good once in a while.
Mandrake The magician.: Needs better storylines but great characters.
The Phantom: Same as with Mandrake.
The Grizzwells: Got old very fast.
Luann: Storylines can be interesting. Characters, not so much.
Get Fuzzy: Bad drawing is a turn off. bad characters even moreso.
Grafield: Old, old old, old.
For Better Or Worse: I liked the character development. Its still being rerun, but I would like new comics not old ones.
Doonesbury: Just got mean and not funny. If Trudeau would drop his liberal pig headedness, he could have a field day skewering Obama and company as much as he did Bush. He's just lost all his edge.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,723,425 times
Calvin and Hobbes was my favorite thing to read growing up. I recently borrowed all of the books from the local library and reread them and found that, even reading them as an adult, they're still amazing. :]

Old 02-20-2011, 06:06 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,250,381 times
I'm waiting for a Calvinball league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts