Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 05:46 AM

453 posts, read 149,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
This is what I have heard. Many that have traded in their only ICE vehicle for an EV. Have since sold or traded the EV for an ICE vehicle. Its not for everyone. I would have an EV to just cruise around town in, if the prices were a third of what they now cost. They're too expensive. You're still paying for the engineering and tooling of this new technology. But China is coming. Probably through Mexico but they're coming. Flood the market. Then watch prices drop. I will still have my '19 civic 6 spd that gets 40+ mpg. Fill up with a 500 mile range, and on long trips, not worry about where to fill up.
Couple things: is $12-15k "too expensive" for a nearly new car with a 100k mile warranty and dirt cheap fueling costs (and no oil changes?). Is $25k "too expensive" for a new car the size and performance of your Civic?

And a serious question for you (and others). If you could refill your gas tank at home any time you wanted for dirt cheap, how many miles of fuel range would you really need for 90% of your use? (Stealth, your free veggie oil is an outlier, and even you will have a hard time filling it on road trips, unless you can get filtered waste oil at restaurants along the way. But how common is that for the avearge person?)

i find it interesting that ICE proponents talk about how easy and quick it is to refuel, then try to get as much range as possible so that they don't have to go the gas station very often! Seems like you don't like to go there, either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2024, 06:44 AM

30,771 posts, read 12,277,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Ultimately, we will see how many EVs are sold going forward. That is the only data that is worth a crap. All of this competing spin paying for surveys to produce the result you want is worth nothing.

I have been looking for another vehicle at the moment and I am considering a used EV. Not a whole lot of options. You would think the market would be flooded with used EV's if 50% were not happy with them. The 97% sounds more plausible.

Old 07-09-2024, 07:29 AM

6,682 posts, read 2,919,756 times
https://fullycharged.show/about-fully-charged/
Fully Charged is the world’s number 1 clean energy & electric vehicle channel hosted by writer, broadcaster and actor Robert Llewellyn, Maddie Moate, Jack Scarlett, Helen Czerski, Chelsea Sexton and Andy Torbet.

Did you really think that they would put out a survey that says people hate EVs?

To some people, EVs meet their needs and are a good choice. To others, they don't. EVs are not the problem, it is the Government interference and pushing the EVs on people that is. When cars started to be mass-produced the Government didn't ban the Horse and Buggy. When the Diesel train engine was brought into production the Government didn't ban the Steam engine. People just started to use the better option for their situation.

Old 07-09-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
https://fullycharged.show/about-fully-charged/
Fully Charged is the world’s number 1 clean energy & electric vehicle channel hosted by writer, broadcaster and actor Robert Llewellyn, Maddie Moate, Jack Scarlett, Helen Czerski, Chelsea Sexton and Andy Torbet.

Did you really think that they would put out a survey that says people hate EVs?

To some people, EVs meet their needs and are a good choice. To others, they don't. EVs are not the problem, it is the Government interference and pushing the EVs on people that is. When cars started to be mass-produced the Government didn't ban the Horse and Buggy. When the Diesel train engine was brought into production the Government didn't ban the Steam engine. People just started to use the better option for their situation.
But the government DID create roads for the cars, set about with safety fuel mileage, and emissions regulations, etc. This round of changes is simply the next step in that process.

Old 07-09-2024, 07:41 AM

46,126 posts, read 61,666,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
But the government DID create roads for the cars, set about with safety fuel mileage, and emissions regulations, etc. This round of changes is simply the next step in that process.
Were people forced to abandon their previous modes of travel as is happening now by government fiat? That's the sticking point that you, and others, always ignore. People switched to cars because they were a better system. The jury is still out on EVs.

If I were to visit you, won't happen, I would have to recharge before coming back. I don't really care about the "acceleration" of EVs because I'm not a reckless driver.

I see, if the website I looked at is accurate, there are only two public chargers at your new home, the next closest is about twelve miles away.

Old 07-09-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have been looking for another vehicle at the moment and I am considering a used EV. Not a whole lot of options. You would think the market would be flooded with used EV's if 50% were not happy with them. The 97% sounds more plausible.
What's your use case for the car? Short runs and normal daily driving (say, less than 15k miles per year). No road trips over 200 miles away, a few road trips over 200 miles away, regular road trips over 200 miles?

For just short use, there are a lot of older compliance EVs that will work, from the early Leaf to the i3, Fiat 500e, e-Golf, etc. 70-100 miles of range that can be recharged overnight on 120v to replenish the typical daily use case, or use free public Level2 charging about town (I have a friend with an early Leaf that has never charged at home. Just charges at locations near or at where he normally drives around town).

Right now, GM has flooded the market with buy-back Bolts, from 2017-2020 after fixing them for the recall. So there are a ton of $10-15k Bolts with new batteries and new 8yer-100k mile warranties. Many dealers will ship them all over the country. If looking at a Bolt, make sure you get the DC Fast Charge option, as many of the earlier cars didn't actually have it (look for the orange flap covering the DC ports when you open the charge port door. Without that, it's not got the fast charge option). Interestingly, when GM was buying back the Bolts (or offering MSRP swaps on them) the vast majority (well over 90%) replaced them with new Bolts...

Old 07-09-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Were people forced to abandon their previous modes of travel as is happening now by government fiat? That's the sticking point that you, and others, always ignore. People switched to cars because they were a better system. The jury is still out on EVs.
No one is forcing you to give up your old gas car. No laws are being made to ban gas cars. So your premise is flawed to start with (as is usual).

But as we've gone along, you couldn't buy a NEW car without seatbelts, or crash structures, or emissions controls, etc. No different. You can still drive your OLD cars, but you can't buy NEW cars that pollute or are unsafe. Tehn fact that you want to be unsafe and pollute as much as you can is telling.

Quote:
If I were to visit you, won't happen, I would have to recharge before coming back.
Where in MD are you located again? I can drive to Wilmington and back without recharging. I can drive to eastern CT from here with only 1 charging stop in NJ.

Quote:
I don't really care about the "acceleration" of EVs because I'm not a reckless driver.
Get out of here with your holier than though bull****. Do you drive the slowest car you could find now? Yes, brisk acceleration is fun, but it's also a safer way to merge with traffic, etc. As a car guy, yes I have fun, but calling it all reckless is BS, grandma.

Quote:
I see, if the website I looked at is accurate, there are only two public chargers at your new home, the next closest is about twelve miles away.
And since I have a 300 mile range, I can drive all the way to Baltimore and back, and charge again at home. I can go from here to Pokomoke numerous times before needing to charge, already been to Chincoteague and back without needing to charge. Our bank is in Salisbury. That's an easy trip. Looking at heading down to Virginia Beach later this year. See, you don't need chargers every 10 miles in order to work.

Again, I'm tired of people like you with zero experience arguing with those that have experience.

Old 07-09-2024, 08:06 AM

46,126 posts, read 61,666,271 times
Quote:
No one is forcing you to give up your old gas car. No laws are being made to ban gas cars. So your premise is flawed to start with (as is usual).

But as we've gone along, you couldn't buy a NEW car without seatbelts, or crash structures, or emissions controls, etc. No different. You can still drive your OLD cars, but you can't buy NEW cars that pollute or are unsafe. Tehn fact that you want to be unsafe and pollute as much as you can is telling.

Where in MD are you located again? I can drive to Wilmington and back without recharging. I can drive to eastern CT from here with only 1 charging stop in NJ.

Get out of here with your holier than though bull****. Do you drive the slowest car you could find now? Yes, brisk acceleration is fun, but it's also a safer way to merge with traffic, etc. As a car guy, yes I have fun, but calling it all reckless is BS, grandma.

And since I have a 300 mile range, I can drive all the way to Baltimore and back, and charge again at home. I can go from here to Pokomoke numerous times before needing to charge, already been to Chincoteague and back without needing to charge. Our bank is in Salisbury. That's an easy trip. Looking at heading down to Virginia Beach later this year. See, you don't need chargers every 10 miles in order to work.

Again, I'm tired of people like you with zero experience arguing with those that have experience.
Honest to Christ are you dense? What does this mean? https://www.autobodynews.com/news/ma...ero%2Demission. Seat belts and padded dashes didn't necessitate a whole new transportation infrastructure.

I've found that you "car guys" who always brag about how fast their cars are off the line are reckless, unless they're talking their dragsters (which I've done as well as dirt track).

I live far enough away that even your 300 mile range would leave me stranded.

You're right, I'm going on my daughter's experience with her Bolt (upgraded battery replacement) who has to stay overnight somewhere when she has more than a five hour trip.

Oh, I think it's cute how you got banned and started a new account.

Old 07-09-2024, 08:59 AM

11,036 posts, read 7,489,087 times
Quote:

Just look into the communist governor's manifestos. My horrible Governor of NJ is banning ICE cars. He is actually taking it a step further by making the state own the electrical grid, forcing people into high-density housing then BANNING ELECTRIC CARS by 2050, and forcing everyone onto some type of utopia of public transportation.

People didn't have a problem with electric cars, until politicians started interfering with peoples lives and start mandating them then it became political.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 07-09-2024 at 09:08 AM..

Old 07-09-2024, 09:00 AM

17,088 posts, read 12,757,782 times
99%. LOL. It might be 90%. 99% surveys are exceedingly rare.

Why lie? It may well be an overwhelming majority, but why lie so obviously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles