Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 09:10 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,236,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Why is it so important to some people that EV sales continue to rise? Festinger's Theory of Cognitive Dissonance?

Almost half of American buyers of EVs want to switch back. https://www.motor1.com/news/724788/h...an-switch-gas/

It's a solution to a limited niche problem. Buy one if it's a good choice for you. Who cares what others do?
The newly oft-touted BS is based on an oil-company backed complete lie. I've literally never met a single EV owner who's not said "I'm NEVER going back."

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Not much talk about the resale values of EV's, and depreciation is the #1 cost of ownership.
Not if you drive it to the ground...

I find it hilarious (not directed at you) to constantly be bombarded with "but the resale value!" by the same ground who brags about driving 30 year old trucks. What's the resale value on a 30 year old junker?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-04-2024, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I bought my Bolt 14 months ago, I could have saved as much as a couple of thousand if I had waited 6 months but I didn't know that and I like my car and it has been trouble free.
Similar for me. I bought at the peak of Tesla prices. But then again I traded in a lease and pocketed $15k after they paid off my remaining payments. And the rates were rock bottom them too. Two years later, it's paid off. I can't complain.

Though man the X Plaid is TEMPTING ME!!!!

Old 07-05-2024, 08:43 PM

20,422 posts, read 13,843,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The 2021 Ioniq RWD has an EPA rated range of 170 miles. The 2024 Ioniq 5 SE RWD is a bigger vehicle, and it has an EPA rated range of 303 miles, and starts at $45k. EVs do cost more, but they don't have to cost $80k.
In practice I get 185 to 193 miles out of the '21 Ionic when I don't have to run the A/C, and of course -- a LOT less in winter between the cold and the snow tires and the heater.

Yes the 2WD Ioniq 5 is better but still falls short of the criteria I stated: 400+ miles of range (preferably 600+) at the same price point, AND 4WD. The 4WD Ioniq 5 only gets about 235 miles of range.

Old 07-05-2024, 08:49 PM

20,422 posts, read 13,843,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Its the EV's price, range, & the inadequate charging system (too slow + not enough of them) that is slowing things down.
It isn't unusual to come to a fast charging station, find there are two 350 amp and one 150 amp chargers. One of the 350's is out of order, the other is occupied by a vehicle that doesn't fully utilize it, and I'm stuck with the 150 amp. It isn't just the insufficient number of them or the relative difficulty in finding them, it is the poor maintenance.

Much as it pains me to admit it (as I think Musk has taken leave of his senses, and is running Tesla into the ground), going to the Tesla connectors industry-wide is probably a smart move. But I don't see Tesla progressing at providing adapters for older vehicles at scale, and even new vehicles won't be fitted with Tesla connectors for a year or two.

Old 07-06-2024, 05:19 AM

12,935 posts, read 10,156,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
In practice I get 185 to 193 miles out of the '21 Ionic when I don't have to run the A/C, and of course -- a LOT less in winter between the cold and the snow tires and the heater.

Yes the 2WD Ioniq 5 is better but still falls short of the criteria I stated: 400+ miles of range (preferably 600+) at the same price point, AND 4WD. The 4WD Ioniq 5 only gets about 235 miles of range.
Sure - it would be nice if EVs had triple the range while at the same time having half the cost, but, what is the significance of setting the bar there? I can say ICE vehicles shouldn't cost more than $10k and should get 100mpg - I mean that'd be awesome, but it ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-06-2024 at 05:39 AM..

Old 07-06-2024, 05:38 AM

12,935 posts, read 10,156,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It isn't unusual to come to a fast charging station, find there are two 350 amp and one 150 amp chargers. One of the 350's is out of order, the other is occupied by a vehicle that doesn't fully utilize it, and I'm stuck with the 150 amp. It isn't just the insufficient number of them or the relative difficulty in finding them, it is the poor maintenance.

Much as it pains me to admit it (as I think Musk has taken leave of his senses, and is running Tesla into the ground), going to the Tesla connectors industry-wide is probably a smart move. But I don't see Tesla progressing at providing adapters for older vehicles at scale, and even new vehicles won't be fitted with Tesla connectors for a year or two.
Totally agree the standard connector is good for the industry. After a flurry of activity to sign the agreements, I have been surprised at how long it's seemingly going to take manufacturers to offer the NACS ports as the standard charging port in their vehicles.

Old 07-06-2024, 06:45 PM

22,125 posts, read 25,556,141 times
Quote:
Totally agree the standard connector is good for the industry. After a flurry of activity to sign the agreements, I have been surprised at how long it's seemingly going to take manufacturers to offer the NACS ports as the standard charging port in their vehicles.
No real rush though. Rivian/Ford have access to NACS but nobody else. Spring came and went, no idea when or now with the mass layoffs if other makes will eventually get NACS access. The plans for actually manufacturing non-Teslas with NACS were later. E.g., Volvo/Polestar was "Spring 2024" for NACS dongles which obviously came and went and there's no NACS dongles and no access to NACS chargers. NACS on the car was for 2025. But I wouldn't be terribly surprised given the inability to meet deadlines if that also gets pushed back. There's no point switching to NACS when all it means is it's just an annoyance to your customers who all need to run out and get a NACS to CCS dongle to charge anywhere.

Best thing of course would just be if everyone picked a plug. It really doesn't matter if it's Europe and CCS or US and NACS. Just pick one already and switch to it. That seemed like it was going to be NACS but it definitely doesn't seem to be a priority to happen anytime soon.

Old 07-06-2024, 09:55 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,475,291 times
According to Florian Hördegen, Head of Vehicle Technology at ADAC: “Measured in terms of total sales, Chinese cars currently account for less than two percent in Germany.
ADAC site has useful and practical information on EVs. Pull down the Google Translation tool to read them.
https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeu...t/elektroauto/
https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeu...ilitaet/laden/

Quote:
https://www.agbi.com/manufacturing/2...pecific-model/
Tesla outpaces Togg with Turkey-specific model
By Pramod Kumar
July 3, 2024
Tesla introduced a Model Y variant in Turkey with a single motor and power output under 160KW
Tesla sales in Turkey surpassed those of the local brand Togg in June, following the introduction of a model tailored for the Turkish market.
The US electric vehicle (EV) maker sold 2,670 units of the Model Y RWD sport-utility vehicle (SUV), designed to avoid high taxes on vehicles exceeding 160 kilowatts of power, the Daily Sabah newspaper reported, quoting data from the Automotive Distributors and Mobility Association.
Tesla sold 412 units in the first five months of 2024, with a mere 10 units in May.
Quote:
https://www.al-monitor.com/originals...ootprint-grows
Turkey-China in 'advanced' talks on EV manufacturing as Beijing footprint grows
Turkey and the Gulf states are aggressively pursuing electric vehicles with entities eyeing cooperation with China.
May 17, 2024
* Turkish Industry Minister Fatih Kacir told Bloomberg that negotiations are at an advanced stage with Chinese EV manufacturers BYD Co. and Chery Automobile Co. Ltd. for investments in factories in Turkey. Kacir said Turkey “would like to complete the talks as soon as possible.”
Ankara is also in separate talks with Chinese EV makers SAIC Motor Corp. and Great Wall Motor Co., Kacir told the outlet.
* Know more: There is growing competition in the Middle East to develop electric vehicles, a sector where China is increasingly dominating. In February, a subsidiary of the Chinese EV maker Nio Inc. signed a technology licensing agreement with Forseven Ltd., an electric vehicle subsidiary of Abu Dhabi–based CYVN Holdings. The move built on previous cooperation between EV-related entities in China and the United Arab Emirates.
In November, Bloomberg reported that the Saudi Public Investment Fund was in talks to invest $250 million in the Chinese EV firm Human Horizons Group Inc.
Meanwhile, Turkey faces competition in its bid to lure Tesla. In an October Al-Monitor Pro memo, Samuel Wendel reported that Saudi Arabia is offering Tesla incentives to produce vehicles in the kingdom

Old Today, 09:15 AM

10,413 posts, read 8,136,834 times
Quote:
I have been surprised at how long it's seemingly going to take manufacturers to offer the NACS ports as the standard charging port in their vehicles.
I'm not. It's a big change (and probably involves software changes as well as hardware changes), and given the complexity of manufacturing a vehicle I can see why it would take a year's lead time to make the switch. The 2025 car models are going to be hitting the dealer lots in 3 months, after all, so CCS1 is essentially "baked in" for the 2025 model year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles