Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2024, 07:03 AM

1,090 posts, read 811,396 times

Advertisements

A question about E.V's that I asked BING_COPILOT GPT BOT

You
Is this suggestion realistic for western car manufactures considering the information I have supplied..

The E.U and many other parts of the globe have a large fleet of aging I.C.E. powered sedans which have manual transmissions.

The E.V. transition has a lot to do with cost of new vehicles. The last time this sort of problem occurred in my memory was the cash for clunkers campaign during the Obama administration and we as a country and China moved forward.

So here is a guy who converted his grandfathers car from I.C.E.to EV why can't Ford do that conversion by supplying kits for the rest of the world rather than China.

Here's an opportunity to become the worlds climate change hero with real cost containment and a large conversion of people to become E.V. enthusiasts.

Also consider.

https://www.acea.auto/figure/passeng...90-by-country/

Here is the easiest E.V. conversion, if you have an manual transmission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYbM...akingWithMihir

Copilot
Your suggestion raises interesting points, and I appreciate your forward-thinking approach! Let’s break it down:

Chinese Car Manufacturers and EV Dominance:
Chinese automakers have made significant strides in the EV market, both domestically and internationally. Brands like NIO, Xpeng, and MG have successfully entered the European market, capitalizing on the region’s growing interest in electric vehicles1.
Europe has become the fastest-growing EV market globally, surpassing China in 2020 with a 60% increase in EV sales despite the pandemic1.
Chinese car manufacturers are presenting a serious challenge to traditional western brands, especially in the electric vehicle segment.
Ford’s Approach:
Ford, like other legacy automakers, faces the transition from internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles to electric ones. They’ve discontinued some ICE sedans to focus on EVs, with ambitious goals for EV sales by 2030.
The upcoming all-electric F-150 Lightning is expected to accelerate EV adoption among consumers.
Your idea of offering conversion kits for existing ICE vehicles is intriguing. Let’s explore this further.
Conversion Kits and the F-100 Concept:
Ford Performance recently unveiled a concept: a 1978 F-100 pickup electrified using their Eluminator electric crate motor (the same one in the Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition).
The Eluminator motor is now available to the public for custom EV conversions. It costs $3,900 but requires additional components like an inverter, battery pack, and control system2.
The F-100 concept showcases how Ford can support customers as they embrace zero-tailpipe emissions performance, even for heritage vehicles2.
Opportunities and Challenges:
Offering conversion kits could be a win-win:
It allows enthusiasts to transform their beloved ICE vehicles into EVs.
Ford gains goodwill and contributes to climate change mitigation.
Challenges include:
Ensuring compatibility with various vehicle models.
Addressing safety, warranty, and certification concerns.
Balancing cost-effectiveness for consumers.
European Market Consideration:
Europe’s large fleet of aging ICE sedans presents an opportunity for EV conversions.
Ford could explore partnerships with local workshops or provide detailed instructions for DIY enthusiasts.
The European market’s receptiveness to EVs makes it an ideal testing ground.
In summary, while the idea of conversion kits is promising, it requires careful planning, investment, and collaboration. Ford could indeed become a climate change hero by empowering more people to embrace electric mobility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

I think there are much better solutions to the advancement of technology than John Deere plant closings.
70 million plus cars with manual transmissions around the world can be converted to electric for penny's on the dollar. Profit incentives and climate change incentives are there. Here a chance for those who brought the entire Truck, Tractor and Automotive industry to this world to collaborate and show some big time innovation.

John Deere closing's story link.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/john-...n-shift-mexico

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

12,859 posts, read 10,089,579 times
I don't know how well these conversion kits really work, or what they cost. You've got to find a place for the motor(s) and battery pack - is there enough room for that? Can you get a full-sized battery pack in? What happens to the center of gravity when the battery pack is just placed where it's convenient, rather than down below the floor of the vehicle and centered between the wheels in "skateboard" fashion as in purpose built EVs?

Even purpose-built EVs are meeting some resistance to market adoption, and I just don't know how warm the reception will be therefore for one of these Frankenstein adaptations of a legacy ICE design.

Old Today, 08:10 AM

Default It would take some thought to compete with international car makers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't know how well these conversion kits really work, or what they cost. You've got to find a place for the motor(s) and battery pack - is there enough room for that? Can you get a full-sized battery pack in? What happens to the center of gravity when the battery pack is just placed where it's convenient, rather than down below the floor of the vehicle and centered between the wheels in "skateboard" fashion as in purpose built EVs?

Even purpose-built EVs are meeting some resistance to market adoption, and I just don't know how warm the reception will be therefore for one of these Frankenstein adaptations of a legacy ICE design.

It would take some thought to compete with international car makers, however according to this website 25 percent of the urban population commute less than 30 minutes a day in total.

https://www.autoinsurance.com/resear...ng-statistics/

That said consider the 2004 hp of the electric motor in a Prius, (V.W. Rabbit, V.W. bug had less HP) which done a great job in the city and cross country for me for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Next consider the HP necessary to propel a compact vehicle conversion in an urban area on those short commutes.

Last consider again the technique that the young man in the video presented in this thread uses the do his conversion incorporating all of the accessory systems, including A/C. The manual transmission cuts the HP requirements. All of this has been done before with lead acid batteries and DC motors for 50 years. Today you have all kinds of examples of Ford Rangers, Mini's, V.W.'s, etc., that are being converted to E.V.'s. I see all those 70 million plus stick shift I.C.E. to E.V. vehicles conversions as an opportunity for car builders and car owners as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles