Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 04:23 PM

19,131 posts, read 14,144,406 times

Advertisements

My best friend is a right-leg amputee. He has a Volvo electric truck on order and is also considering a Rivian. He has been using a specially mounted pedal to drive with his right left leg since the operation over 10 years ago.

Since he is getting close to the delivery date for his Volvo, he called the installer he has been using to discuss the new car. He was told that as of now, NO EVs can have the pedal installed due to the proximity of the battery under the floorboards. The installer said they’ve tried to get the state (NJ) to approve various new designs but all have failed strict safety tests. He’s stumped (no pun intended lol) and probably has to cancel the reservation.

This is certainly a unique scenario but not unheard of. His installer performs hundreds of jobs annually, obviously with many repeat customers.

This is something the car companies may have to solve, especially if EV adoption is to become more widespread.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM

3,921 posts, read 2,391,234 times
Well, yeah, anything normally bolted through the floor (or screwed through it) won't work when that's the top of the battery. But I don't think the EVs in general should be re-engineered for what is truly an edge case. In fact, I'd day a better solution is modern adhesives, as they can definitely be strong enough to attach something to the prepped floor and stay there forever.

As far as the pedal, which pedal is he needing to have moved? The throttle? Why can't an overhead hinged pedal be used? Does it have to be mounted to the floor? And if it does have to be mounted to the floor, I'd bet a bracket could be used that could use adhesive to attach it to the floor. No screws or bolts going into the battery. AND cheap and doesn't require re-engineering of the entire car by the installer OR the manufacturer.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM

13,172 posts, read 21,204,198 times
Mobility modifiers generally wont install anything with a structural requirement unless someone else has green lit the project with an approval they can fall back on if something goes wrong. That sound like where this is now, waiting for some authority to say it's acceptable.

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

6,768 posts, read 4,462,323 times
Forget the EV. Because of liability issues, no one is going to touch that. Get an ICE vehicle and you wont have any problem getting one installed.

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Mobility modifiers generally wont install anything with a structural requirement unless someone else has green lit the project with an approval they can fall back on if something goes wrong. That sound like where this is now, waiting for some authority to say it's acceptable.
Exactly this.

This isn’t something that can be jerry rigged. It has to be inspected and approved by the DMV. It’s done through a specific installer who has been approved for these jobs. It’s not as much of an edge case as one would think either. My buddy’s installer does hundreds every year. It’s not just for amputees people with right leg problems that leave them unable to apply full strength also use them.

It has to be bolted, that’s the problem. This particular installer has tried to gain approval for various other methods, all failed.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

37,390 posts, read 39,834,060 times
This seems like a pretty massive oversight. I don't know anything about this, an I wonder if there's anyone putting institutional weight behind this in order to have politicians move this forward.

This is probably a naive question on my part, but has your friend tried reaching out to associations like this? https://www.amputee-coalition.org/re...ion-resources/

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

6,501 posts, read 9,892,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Exactly this.

This isn’t something that can be jerry rigged. It has to be inspected and approved by the DMV. It’s done through a specific installer who has been approved for these jobs. It’s not as much of an edge case as one would think either. My buddy’s installer does hundreds every year. It’s not just for amputees people with right leg problems that leave them unable to apply full strength also use them.

It has to be bolted, that’s the problem. This particular installer has tried to gain approval for various other methods, all failed.
Why are hand controls not an option? Nothing needs to be jerry rigged nor mounted through the floor pan.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Why are hand controls not an option? Nothing needs to be jerry rigged nor mounted through the floor pan.
I believe the way the law works you can only use hand controls if your disability makes that necessary. In his case, it doesn’t.

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This seems like a pretty massive oversight. I don't know anything about this, an I wonder if there's anyone putting institutional weight behind this in order to have politicians move this forward.

This is probably a naive question on my part, but has your friend tried reaching out to associations like this? https://www.amputee-coalition.org/re...ion-resources/
I suggested contacting a handicapped rights organization, at the least for guidance, but he’s currently leaning towards just switching his reservation back to the ice version.

Old Today, 04:56 AM

3,921 posts, read 2,391,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Exactly this.

This isn’t something that can be jerry rigged. It has to be inspected and approved by the DMV.
I'm not talking about jerry rigged. I'm talking about a company engineering one that makes it unnecessary for manufacturers to completely redesign their cars to work with what really is a handful of people. We do NOT want EVs to start having batteries high up in the car just so a few customers can bolt something to the floor, when there's a more logical, much less costly, and much less disruptive way of solving the problem. "But this is the way we've always done it and the local DMV isn't smart enough to evolve." Nope, new paradigms require new solutions.

What you are asking is that EVs no longer have low mounted batteries. Maybe in the future when batteries are vastly more energy dense and light, you can put them only in a center tunnel (like the 16kWh battery in the Volt), but a typical 60-100kWh battery simply cannot be designed like that in a passenger car. Nor should they.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles