Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 AM

24,582 posts, read 33,513,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
You are wrong all around, both posts.
I'll try to deal with this one piece before I pass out.

Would a Capital Gains Tax Cut Stimulate The Economy? - 9/20/01

People tend to cash in and there is a short term revenue bump.
Long term we lose revenue.
That link isn't the easiest to read.

So why don't we keep lowering the capital gains tax?
Lets take it to 10%.
Or, even better - 1%!
Think of all that revenue!

And can you imagine how much tax revenue we'd get if we abolished the tax entirely?
I'm not wrong, you just refuse to accept facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Read the stuff I've already posted.
Look at some links with specifics.
Ponder why the income gap is larger than its been in decades.
The fact remains that the rich ended up paying more in taxes after the Bush tax cuts than before. Would you have preferred that they were paying less, like they were during the Clinton administration?

Quote:
Because we were already deficit spending.
Bush borrowed money we didn't have to give tax cuts that we are continuing to pay for with interest on the debt.
Less tax revenue, but the same spending (plus wars and mma).

Go to google and search for "what caused the deficit"
Results will talk about Bush's policies (a big part is the tax cuts we borrowed money for, the wars and medicare modernization act), both recessions (2000, 2008) and Obama's policies (stimulus primarily).
You're not listening! The increased revenues more than paid for the Bush tax cuts. And there were additional benefits... an unemployment rate which dropped as low as 4.5%, low inflation, strong GDP growth and 52 consecutive months of job growth.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,915,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The fact remains that the rich ended up paying more in taxes after the Bush tax cuts than before. Would you have preferred that they were paying less, like they were during the Clinton administration?

You're not listening! The increased revenues more than paid for the Bush tax cuts. And there were additional benefits... an unemployment rate which dropped as low as 4.5%, low inflation, strong GDP growth and 52 consecutive months of job growth.
Why would I want to learn your incorrect theories?
You are simply wrong, again.

You need to read rather than sit and watch fox all day.
You are not learning anything from that channel.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,379,622 times
Quote:
If there were Bush policies in place that would lead to a recovery, maybe.
What policy are you referring to?
More tax cuts for the wealthy?

I guess I can give Bush credit for TARP.
I'm one of the few non-economists that thinks it may have done some good.
And the auto bailouts.

What else besides the stimulus has he spent on?
Obama's total for the year is roughly 200 billion.
1/7th of the deficit, less than 15%.

Obama didn't create welfare, lol.
And your math is very wrong.

Yes, I know in backwards-ville, the stimulus is bad.
In backwards ville, jobs are bad.
So is the market hitting 10,000 for the first time in a year.
Horrible news.
And when we found out that the deficit was 1.4 instead of 1.8 - terrible.
And initial reports of the stimulus exceeding expectations, how do we deal with all this bad news?

You need to stop watching MSBNC, they have you all "skewed" up.

Wow, the dow hit 10,000. So on one hand you whine about the rich under Bush but on the other hand you clap your hands when the dow hit 10,000 under Obama. Let me remind you that NO POOR person invest in the DOW!
So, Obama is helping those same rich people???

You really have no clue do you?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:47 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,379,622 times
Quote:

You might as well give up, this poster is standing in line with the other obama supporters and will not see for any reason what the man has done, or NOT DONE.

A total economic disaster is what ObamAcorn really is and I did not have to watch to know that.

Look around!

Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
You need to stop watching MSBNC, they have you all "skewed" up.

Wow, the dow hit 10,000. So on one hand you whine about the rich under Bush but on the other hand you clap your hands when the dow hit 10,000 under Obama. Let me remind you that NO POOR person invest in the DOW!
So, Obama is helping those same rich people???

You really have no clue do you?
My point, which you so valiantly missed, is that you righties complain constantly about good news and assign the deficit to the wrong place.

And while I enjoy playing "correct a conservative" as much as the next liberal, you righties have got to start getting your basic facts straight.

Bush tax cuts cost 1.3 trillion through 2008.

Twice the cost of the stimulus.

Learn some basic info.
Then we can play "correct a conservative" again.

You can start by learning what a fact is.
And that a fact does not rely on a point of view to determine its accuracy.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
You might as well give up, this poster is standing in line with the other obama supporters and will not see for any reason what the man has done, or NOT DONE.

A total economic disaster is what ObamAcorn really is and I did not have to watch to know that.

Look around!
You are right. It would be silly to keep posting facts to someone who won't accept them. He thinks the facts I posted are "theories!"

Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 PM

In the interest of helping prevent right-wing nuttery (propaganda) being taking as reality by uninformed readers:

Quote:
Myth 1: Tax cuts “pay for themselves.”

“You cut taxes and the tax revenues increase.” — President Bush, February 8, 2006

“You have to pay for these tax cuts twice under these pay-go rules if you apply them, because these tax cuts pay for themselves.” — Senator Judd Gregg, then Chair of the Senate Budget Committee, March 9, 2006

Reality: A study by the President’s own Treasury Department confirmed the common-sense view shared by economists across the political spectrum: cutting taxes decreases revenues.
Tax Cuts: Myths and Realities — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Common freaking sense.
Look into it.

Last edited by compJockey; 10-22-2009 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I see what you mean. We (comp and I) both post info with sources. But, according to him, his sources (of course) are right and mine are not!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I see what you mean. We (comp and I) both post info with sources. But, according to him, his sources (of course) are right and mine are not!
You go right ahead trusting GWB's economic opinion "tax cuts pay for themselves". Because we all know what a great economist GWB is and what incredible shape he left the country in.

I'll stick with the Center on Budget and Policy Priorties, the CBO and the OMB.

By the way, Bush's own treasury department contradicts what he said.
You might have noticed that if you bothered to read the thread.

You believe Bush over people who actually stand a chance of knowing what they are talking about.
Awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections