Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You might check the last election results and the demographics of the Hispanic population in Texas.
The Hispanic population is fiscally liberal, socially conservative. If they can somehow get off of welfare handouts, they will be more likely to vote Republican for the social conservatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:25 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,149,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I doubt the Republican Party has the cohesion to commit political suicide. It took over the white South when Pres. Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act and made the Democrats a national party by "betraying" the Dixicrats. When the Republicans absorbed this politically toxic group they sealed their eventual doom. The Republicans have never been able to bridge the gap between their hyper wealthy core and their, by and large, lower income Bible and race obsessed mass voting block. As a result they had to resort to election fraud to get their last gasp candidate George Bush elected twice and he spent the country into near bankruptcy protecting his class and family right to mid east oil.

These factors have made the Republicans’ the future very difficult for themselves. By fielding candidates as competent, attractive and electable as Obama the Democrats helped with the demise of the Republicans. I expect the Republicans to splinter into a party of the plutocrats and a party of the working class religion dominated conservative majority of the Republicans. One possible result of this lack of competent leadership will be the nomination of a Palin/Jindal, or equivalent, ticket in 2012 and 2016.
That will help kill the Republican party faster than anything else. However, in my part of Texas, Palin is revered and loved. West Texas is sparsely populated and losing population, and I have to remember that what I see in West Texas is not what is going on nationally.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:16 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,866,396 times
If the Republicans nominate Palin in 2012, they'll only get 30% of the national vote and will melt into history like the Whigs.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:17 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,618,659 times
Hmmmmmm... Let's analyze this situation...

The GOP has become an extreme right-wing religious nut-case party...

The GOP continues to drive moderates from it's ranks at warp speed...

Arlen Specter gives the middle finger to the RNC - and switches parties - giving the Democrats a fillibuster-proof majority in the Senate (as soon as that ****** Coleman capitulates in MN)....

Ahhh - the glory of it all...

The sense of extreme victory against the Bush Neocons and the destruction they have wrought on this once great nation...

How sweet it is!!

Who will be the next Republican to drop the F-BOMB on the RNC and switch parties???

Old 04-28-2009, 06:04 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,486,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Hmmmmmm... Let's analyze this situation...

The GOP has become an extreme right-wing religious nut-case party...

The GOP continues to drive moderates from it's ranks at warp speed...

Arlen Specter gives the middle finger to the RNC - and switches parties - giving the Democrats a fillibuster-proof majority in the Senate (as soon as that ****** Coleman capitulates in MN)....

Ahhh - the glory of it all...

The sense of extreme victory against the Bush Neocons and the destruction they have wrought on this once great nation...

How sweet it is!!

Who will be the next Republican to drop the F-BOMB on the RNC and switch parties???
So all Conservative, let me get this straight, "extreme right-wing religious nut-cases" should leap away from their morals, and leave the Democrats unchecked. Just eliminate the Republican Party and join the cult of rainbows and unicorns and unrestrained spending and abortion.

The destruction of this great country is yet to come. At the hands of shortsighted feel good Democrats.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,020,431 times
Why do I keep thinking of the Tarzan movie where he finds the elephant graveyard?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,618,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
So all Conservative, let me get this straight, "extreme right-wing religious nut-cases" should leap away from their morals, and leave the Democrats unchecked. Just eliminate the Republican Party and join the cult of rainbows and unicorns and unrestrained spending and abortion.

The destruction of this great country is yet to come. At the hands of shortsighted feel good Democrats.
Actually, I hope they get riled and move even more radically to the right...

Posts like the above are exactly what is needed to drive every single moderate from the party, and to convince most all independents to shun the Republican party....

Right-wing extremism will do more to destroy the Republican party as a national force than anything any Democrat or 'liberal' could ever say or do...

Keep up the most excellent work!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Right-wing extremism will do more to destroy the Republican party as a national force than anything any Democrat or 'liberal' could ever say or do...
Since when does going to church and being anti - abortion make you a right wing extremist?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,585,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Since when does going to church and being anti - abortion make you a right wing extremist?
It doesn't... nobody ever said it does....

What does make one a right-wing extremist is when one tries to impose their religious beliefs upon the general population... like trying to ban all abortions (except for rape, incest, or imminent danger to the mother's life)... when the population clearly does NOT share their beliefs...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
It doesn't... nobody ever said it does....

What does make one a right-wing extremist is when one tries to impose their religious beliefs upon the general population.
Populations seem to walk a tightrope. I am not so sure that any group "imposes" beliefs on the other any more than the other does.

I haven't seen one group impose anything, except through legislation. I suppose that that's when it becomes personal.

Now, when civilization bends, to a point where morality no longer exists, and where the United States government is able to push through laws, enhanced by an eventually more liberal Supreme Court, then we will all truly be free.

But, if you are a kid, you will have to wear a helmet when you ride your bike. You will have to be careful about how much carbon you emit. You will have to pay more taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections