Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times

Advertisements

Both Roll Call and Huffington are reporting that President Obama is considering Judd Gregg (R-NH) for Commerce Secretary. If Gregg accepts and Franken wins Minnesota, the Dems will have a filibuster proof majority. What do you think?
Salon.com Politics | Gregg to get Commerce, Dems to get 60 Senate seats?
Clip:
Gregg was the GOP's chief negotiator for the $700 billion bailout of the financial industry. That alone would deliver him a tough re-election bid in a state that has no state income tax and a "Live Free or Die" motto that permeates a state that has proved increasingly tough to Republicans.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ZJSZgD9618PO80
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
Hi tigerlily,

I read this last night and thought to myself, schweeeeet! I know that the Ds are already, or on next Monday, running commercials against him. He's a good guy with little to no chance in '10. This would put him in a good spot in the Obama administration and it's a job that he would be really good at.

Bonus points for getting the gov. to put a qualified D in the seat. I'm not sure about any Ds with a statewide following but NH is a small state and high political participation rates. Probably every voter in the state is familiar with most pols holding elective office higher than dog catcher.

Of all the Rs who are up in '10 he's in the weakest spot. Except those who've already announced they won't run.

golfgod

Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Hi golfgod, remember when Tim Johnson had his stroke. There was a repub governor in South Dakota. The dems thought it would be unethical for him to replace a dem with a repub. So, the repubs will probably scream bloody murder if a dem is appointed to replace Gregg. Of course, now that the repubs are refusing the olive branch extended to them by the president, refusing to negotiate on the stimulus package, I'm fine with it - tit for tat.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:17 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
I thought this was a rather shrewd move myself...President Obama is literally picking the republicans apart right before our very eyes.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Well, at least Obama is staying consistent. Hire another person directly responsible for the out of control and ineffective TARP bill to try to fix the economy just like Timmy.

So, let's place bets. What will be missed in the vetting? Unpaid tax bill? Illegal nanny? Unofficial lobbying money? Picture of him in women's underwear?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Picture of him in women's underwear?
That's not a pretty visual..

Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
I do wonder what the ultimate idea here is, this attempt at bi-partisanship right now is not bearing fruit, as the Repubs are not reciprocating the love, but damn, in the long run this could be yet another really smart move, this dude is smarter than I thought. Not all of these might pan out, though. He's making some pretty bold moves that could prove really savvy later on

Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
The gov has promised to appoint a republican to his seat. I hope he appoints a liberal republican lol.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Gregg will not take the position unless The governor appoints a Republican.
I don't believe Gregg is worried about his seat in 2010. Sununu lost his seat in the last election, but that was due to Bush.

If Lynch pulls a dirty trick and appoints a Democrat after Gregg takes the cabinet position, he won't be re-elected governor in 2010. He is in enough trouble for increasing the state budger 17.5% over two years and now having to lay off state workers....

Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I think we NH Dems could have unseated Gregg anyway. I think we will be able to do the same with any Republican the Governor appoints as a caretaker appointment. FWIW the Stimulus Package for NH will wipe out the false tax increase and balance the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections