Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 PM
LML LML started this thread

7,100 posts, read 9,116,262 times

Advertisements

I am a great believer in the need for at least two credible political parties. I have been tremendously saddened these past years watching the once proud Republican Party reduced to the direct opposite of what it once believed. There was a time when Republicans stood for less government and keeping government out of people's private lives. They also stood for no intervention in foreign affairs except in times of national emergency and the necessity of keeping American business providing American jobs.

Then the Neo Cons took over the party and gave us the largest growth of government in our history. They began intruding in people's private lives and trying to legislate people's private lives. They became the all war all of the time party. They began providing tax incentives to companies that took American jobs out of the country. Instead of the party of steady growth and planning they became all about short term profit and no planning. They have not only destroyed the Republican Party, they have destroyed the country.

But I see light at the end of the tunnel. As the intelligent, responsible, honorable members of the Republican Party have begun to speak out in droves against what has become of their party, it appears that, at long last, the grown ups are ready to take over the GOP once again. I hope they do. I do not always agree with the Republicans....nor do I always agree with the Democrats. I think that different times in history call for the strengths of the Republicans and other times in history call for the strengths of the Democrats. We need both to be robust and viable. I think the only place for the neo cons in history is on the ash heap. They can serve as an object lesson to future generations of what can happen to a great country when meaness and greed is encouraged to flourish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 07:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,284,070 times
Well said. The hatred of Obama, coming from McCain/Palin and their nutty supporters--we haven't seen the likes of that kind of hateful public discourse in decades. It's time for the GOP to say ENOUGH, throw the nitwits out on their heads, regroup and rebuild.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:39 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,679 times
LML, you need to pace yourself with your posts. They're so good, I can't rep you enough

I completely agree by the way. I probably consider myself a "Republican in exile" My family has proudly voted Republican for at least a century, and I too am saddened to see the party of Lincoln, Roosevelt, Eisenhower and Reagan on the brink of a cliff. I'm ashamed that they're resorting these tactics of fear and defamation just to maintain power. History tells me that when a party gets to that point, that they need to go, for the good of everybody.

At this point I cannot vote for them. And while I hope Obama will be a great president, I also know that healthy democracies require more than one party. If the Republicans clean up their act and ditch the neo-cons, and become the party you said it used to be, I'd gladly come back..but now I have to step away.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:44 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,200,840 times
Pretty hard to say what the future has in store for the Republican Party and conservatism in America. Been a long time since I have seen actual conservatism in practice despite paying lip service to it.

To be honest, I wouldn't even mind seeing some real Liberalism return to politics. I happen to think the "left" is just that a word meant to denote anything that wasn't "right" but the actual philosophies of liberalism and conservatism have somehow been lost. There are a few lurking around in government that are traditional or classical conservatives and liberals but not many.

Whatever the outcome lets just hope it is a little brighter than a quote I saw on a bumper sticker the other day

Nation of Sheep Ruled By Wolves Owned by Pigs

Old 11-01-2008, 07:44 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,606 times
Nice set up guys, but I could say the same for the Democratic party being taken over by the EXTREME left lunatic fringe. Now can we hear someone who really understands conservatism?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:45 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,765,102 times
haha extreme left...y'ok

Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 PM

55 posts, read 76,071 times
Thumbs up The Rebirth of the Republican Party

Well said LML,
The GOP party I believed in is NOT divisive; NOT hate-filled; NOT racist; and, NOT reduced to downright lying in order to possibly win an election.
The neo-cons and religious-right have completely taken over the party of Lincoln. Sad, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I am a great believer in the need for at least two credible political parties. I have been tremendously saddened these past years watching the once proud Republican Party reduced to the direct opposite of what it once believed. There was a time when Republicans stood for less government and keeping government out of people's private lives. They also stood for no intervention in foreign affairs except in times of national emergency and the necessity of keeping American business providing American jobs.

Then the Neo Cons took over the party and gave us the largest growth of government in our history. They began intruding in people's private lives and trying to legislate people's private lives. They became the all war all of the time party. They began providing tax incentives to companies that took American jobs out of the country. Instead of the party of steady growth and planning they became all about short term profit and no planning. They have not only destroyed the Republican Party, they have destroyed the country.

But I see light at the end of the tunnel. As the intelligent, responsible, honorable members of the Republican Party have begun to speak out in droves against what has become of their party, it appears that, at long last, the grown ups are ready to take over the GOP once again. I hope they do. I do not always agree with the Republicans....nor do I always agree with the Democrats. I think that different times in history call for the strengths of the Republicans and other times in history call for the strengths of the Democrats. We need both to be robust and viable. I think the only place for the neo cons in history is on the ash heap. They can serve as an object lesson to future generations of what can happen to a great country when meaness and greed is encouraged to flourish.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,200,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Nice set up guys, but I could say the same for the Democratic party being taken over by the EXTREME left lunatic fringe. Now can we hear someone who really understands conservatism?
Tell us NJ, what are the tenets of classic conservatism verses that of contemporary conservatism? What are your thoughts on Paul Gottfried, Edmund Burke, and maybe even William Taft?

I would enjoy hearing what you think a conservative is in your own words so there is no confusion.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:51 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,968 times
There are lots and lots of reports of the Republican Party fracturing and being rebuilt after this election, but I've heard conflicting reports about which branch of the GOP is going to take over. Some feel the side driven by policies alone will lead them forward, leaving religion and "Americanism" behind. Others are pointing to Palin as a new figurehead for a conservative GOP that includes or leads with Christian conservatives.

Without the reactive bashing-- any insight from the right out there?

Or anyone from the middle or left read anything that seemed to have decent facts about what's going on?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:54 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuB703 View Post
Well said LML,
The GOP party I believed in is NOT divisive; NOT hate-filled; NOT racist; and, NOT reduced to downright lying in order to possibly win an election.
The neo-cons and religious-right have completely taken over the party of Lincoln. Sad, but true.
And I would add 'Not in existence'. The neo-cons and religious right have ruined the Republican party. And while most Republicans revere Reagan, his glaring flaw which has been repeated by Republicans ever since is a love of deficit spending and trickle-down economics. Both are farcial failures and anathema to true conservatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections