Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 12:14 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times

Advertisements

Hummm Ohio... again... 2004 again?

Now we have spend years listening to the stories about hanging chads, elderly voters, disenfranchised voters, voter purging, caging, and the usual bag of political dirty tricks from all corners but in this case, it looks like, well so 1980's, that I'm waiting for a voter machine screen to have a screen saver of Duran Duran.

Apparently the system in Ohio is so out of date and in such bad condition that verifying the voter registrations may crash the entire system... ruht roh shaggy!

New-registrations check for fraud could crash entire voter database, Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner says - Cleveland.com
Quote:
Columbus- Ohio's voter database was poorly constructed and cannot handle a massive check for fraud among the state's 700,000 newly registered voters, Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner said Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,993 times
Oh Jiminy Cricket, I cannot bring myself to look at that link. The painful memories are enough.

Going by your summary can someone please explain to me how in the world Ohio and Florida (because there are still issues there too) are having these problems 4 & 8 years later? Why have the problems not been resolved and why do all these states wait until the last blasted minute to worry about big voting days when they can schedule out when they are going to be a gazillion years in advance!

If these states can't get their acts together then someone could convince me that it is time to federally regulate voting, ballots and machines.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:40 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
For the life of me, I just don't get it, I really don't. America can put a man on the moon, go from a boom box to an i-pod, and shrink more computing power than existed in all the world in 1980 into a single computer, we can use a debit card to fill up a rental card half a world away in a flawless transaction in seconds and our election systems are about at the same quality as the Congo or Uzbekistan.

For petes sake, most western nations use paper and pencil and have more accurate and timely results than us.

Always seems to be in the key states too. I just don't know but I know I would support a complete overhaul and standardization of our voting process.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:57 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,993 times
That's exactly where I'm at with this. How can it be 2008 where news is made and told in seconds all over the world; where millions of people can sent money in a blink to their favored campaigns, complete with records after yet were having the same machine issues? Say what?

The single plausible reason I can come up with is that these states do not want to spend the money to upgrade. And then they don't. Perhaps they are waiting for the government handout to pay for said upgrades. I don't mean that glib but this is ridiculous.

You're right, it is the key states to the point that if I go off the deep end of silly I can't help but wondering if they just like the attention. No, no, I'm serious. It sounds absurd on the one hand. On the other though it gets the elected officials a ton of national press.

Then you get past the machine silliness and you run into ballot issues. NC comes to mind. Their ballot issues leave me shaking my head. What do they mean straight Dem or Republican ticket voting doesn't then cast your vote for president? They're serious? Then you better make that very clear to begin with.

Person get ballot. Person make little check marks. Person done with ballot. A caveman can do it. Yet here we are with ballots so complicated and nonsensical that people across all education levels are lost.

If the machines don't get you the ballots will.

Oh, oh and lets not forget WV where the machines are screwed to the point that they've had to issue the order that all of them be recalibrated every morning between now and the election. Except there is a teensy catch! Sometimes after a brand new recalibration, after the first vote has been cast, the machines are still flipping the votes.

What happened to all the talk about election reforms in 2000 and 2004 that nothing came of it either time? W's fault? Congress? The milkman?

Old 11-01-2008, 01:01 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
I guess this is the October surprise. Just made it, too. I'm not convinced that this is so innocent. Ohio is an important state in this election. It just happens to be happening in Ohio? Hmmmm. Looks to me like the Rove machine is up to its old tricks. Although, I must say, Jennifer Brunner seems like a serious overlord about this stuff. I don't think much gets by her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections