Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 01:05 AM

881 posts, read 1,591,946 times

Advertisements

A sampling of what voters heard in the ad, and what he didn't tell them:

THE SPIN: "That's why my health care plan includes improving information technology, requires coverage for preventive care and pre-existing conditions and lowers health care costs for the typical family by $2,500 a year."

THE FACTS: His plan does not lower premiums by $2,500, or any set amount. Obama hopes that by spending $50 billion over five years on electronic medical records and by improving access to proven disease management programs, among other steps, consumers will end up saving money. He uses an optimistic analysis to suggest cost reductions in national health care spending could amount to the equivalent of $2,500 for a family of four. Many economists are skeptical those savings can be achieved, but even if they are, it's not a certainty that every dollar would be passed on to consumers in the form of lower premiums.

THE SPIN: "I also believe every American has a right to affordable health care."

THE FACTS: That belief should not be confused with a guarantee of health coverage for all. He makes no such promise. Obama hinted as much in the ad when he said about the problem of the uninsured: "I want to start doing something about it." He would mandate coverage for children but not adults. His program is aimed at making insurance more affordable by offering the choice of government-subsidized coverage similar to that in a plan for federal employees and other steps, including requiring larger employers to share costs of insuring workers.

THE SPIN: "I've offered spending cuts above and beyond their cost."

THE FACTS: Independent analysts say both Obama and Republican John McCain would deepen the deficit. The nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates Obama's policy proposals would add a net $428 billion to the deficit over four years -- and that analysis accepts the savings he claims from spending cuts. The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, whose other findings have been quoted approvingly by the Obama campaign, says: "Both John McCain and Barack Obama have proposed tax plans that would substantially increase the national debt over the next 10 years." The analysis goes on to say: "Neither candidate's plan would significantly increase economic growth unless offset by spending cuts or tax increases that the campaigns have not specified."

THE SPIN: "Here's what I'll do. Cut taxes for every working family making less than $200,000 a year. Give businesses a tax credit for every new employee that they hire right here in the U.S. over the next two years and eliminate tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas. Help homeowners who are making a good faith effort to pay their mortgages, by freezing foreclosures for 90 days. And just like after 9-11, we'll provide low-cost loans to help small businesses pay their workers and keep their doors open. "

THE FACTS: His proposals -- the tax cuts, the low-cost loans, the $15 billion a year he promises for alternative energy, and more -- cost money, and the country could be facing a record $1 trillion deficit next year. Indeed, Obama recently acknowledged -- although not in his commercial -- that: "The next president will have to scale back his agenda and some of his proposals."

For the full list of the lies Obama managed to crunch in the 30 mins he had, go to FactCheck.org

The whole list of Obama's lies on his 30 min infomercial are at least 3 pages long. That is longer than the list of inaccuracies Biden pumped out during the Biden v. Palin debate. I know!! Hard to believe!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,897,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
[b]

The whole list of Obama's lies on his 30 min infomercial are at least 3 pages long. That is longer than the list of inaccuracies Biden pumped out during the Biden v. Palin debate. I know!! Hard to believe!!

What? Only three pages? Did you logon to FactCheck.org, to see if that is really true?

Bud

Old 10-30-2008, 01:16 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,567,271 times
i see a lot of mocking and nay saying. i give obama points for at least attempting to deal with our nations problems instead of telling the american people he is powerless to fix them as does george.
obama will end the war, i would vote for a martian if he would end the war, we are going broke fast.
obam 08

Old 10-30-2008, 01:23 AM

511 posts, read 659,833 times
McCain plan drops the whole incentive for employers to provide it and says go buy it yourself for a tax break of 5k. nobody will insure anyone with a pre-existing condition, no one can even buy insurance for that much without one. Mccain will totally ruin the already bad hc we have. as far as anything else you just typed.. im sure u just pasted and spin it all from some right blog..

Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,914,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
McCain plan drops the whole incentive for employers to provide it and says go buy it yourself for a tax break of 5k. nobody will insure anyone with a pre-existing condition, no one can even buy insurance for that much without one. Mccain will totally ruin the already bad hc we have. as far as anything else you just typed.. im sure u just pasted and spin it all from some right blog..
Exactly! It's just another form of corporate welfare, actually; get the government to subsidize millions of new subscribers for HMOs/Insurance companies... giving them big $$$ in income, while they will continue to

#1 refuse to insure anyone who may be already ill or actually need health care in the near future

#2 refuse to pay any claim by someone who sneaks by their filter and ends up getting sick

#3 dump any problem subscribers on to medicare/medicaid, so the government can end up paying for their care, after also paying for their premiums with the insurer. Double-whammy for the taxpayers!

But at least the major stockholders and CxOs of the HMO will be getting a lot of new income & dividends. And if we're really, really lucky, and everything turns out perfectly as McCain plans... some common stockholders (those who are investing through their 401K) might see a few pennies of dividends on their HMO-company stock.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,188,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
A sampling of what voters heard in the ad, and what he didn't tell them:

THE SPIN: "That's why my health care plan includes improving information technology, requires coverage for preventive care and pre-existing conditions and lowers health care costs for the typical family by $2,500 a year."

THE FACTS: His plan does not lower premiums by $2,500, or any set amount. Obama hopes that by spending $50 billion over five years on electronic medical records and by improving access to proven disease management programs, among other steps, consumers will end up saving money. He uses an optimistic analysis to suggest cost reductions in national health care spending could amount to the equivalent of $2,500 for a family of four. Many economists are skeptical those savings can be achieved, but even if they are, it's not a certainty that every dollar would be passed on to consumers in the form of lower premiums.

THE SPIN: "I also believe every American has a right to affordable health care."

THE FACTS: That belief should not be confused with a guarantee of health coverage for all. He makes no such promise. Obama hinted as much in the ad when he said about the problem of the uninsured: "I want to start doing something about it." He would mandate coverage for children but not adults. His program is aimed at making insurance more affordable by offering the choice of government-subsidized coverage similar to that in a plan for federal employees and other steps, including requiring larger employers to share costs of insuring workers.

THE SPIN: "I've offered spending cuts above and beyond their cost."

THE FACTS: Independent analysts say both Obama and Republican John McCain would deepen the deficit. The nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates Obama's policy proposals would add a net $428 billion to the deficit over four years -- and that analysis accepts the savings he claims from spending cuts. The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, whose other findings have been quoted approvingly by the Obama campaign, says: "Both John McCain and Barack Obama have proposed tax plans that would substantially increase the national debt over the next 10 years." The analysis goes on to say: "Neither candidate's plan would significantly increase economic growth unless offset by spending cuts or tax increases that the campaigns have not specified."

THE SPIN: "Here's what I'll do. Cut taxes for every working family making less than $200,000 a year. Give businesses a tax credit for every new employee that they hire right here in the U.S. over the next two years and eliminate tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas. Help homeowners who are making a good faith effort to pay their mortgages, by freezing foreclosures for 90 days. And just like after 9-11, we'll provide low-cost loans to help small businesses pay their workers and keep their doors open. "

THE FACTS: His proposals -- the tax cuts, the low-cost loans, the $15 billion a year he promises for alternative energy, and more -- cost money, and the country could be facing a record $1 trillion deficit next year. Indeed, Obama recently acknowledged -- although not in his commercial -- that: "The next president will have to scale back his agenda and some of his proposals."

For the full list of the lies Obama managed to crunch in the 30 mins he had, go to FactCheck.org

He'll be YOUR president!!!!!

Haha! America...love it or leave it!

How does it feel????

Old 10-30-2008, 02:51 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,245,948 times
Sounds like Oprah might have been holding the wrong cue cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections